Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Stats

Array

On this score - I don't think the search engines will find us in a hurry until we have a good page title. At the moment, our page title for the search engines is almost identical to the old forum. In fact neither have a HTML meta tag <title> only a title in style sheets. Maybe one overrides the other, not sure, but this I know - as of 10 seconds ago, Google didn't place sbf.com or sbf. net on the first page but #1 position for "small business forum" was sbf.org - and they have an html <title>

I would suggest this is a priority.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Frederick the search engines have already found us. At least Google and Yahoo both have. It'll take time before we rank well. There are a lot of small business forums out there and we're likely the newest. The best thing people can do to help is just keep posting and starting new threads and if possible link back to the forum, both the home page and individual posts.

We may never be #1 for the query small business forum. Other sites have an inherent advantage based on their domain name, but we'll be fine as the forum grows.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Refugee from the .com
    Array

Quote Originally Posted by vangogh View Post
    We may never be #1 for the query small business forum. Other sites have an inherent advantage based on their domain name, but we'll be fine as the forum grows.
    Bah! What kind of optimism is that? Seriously, I think we might in time. If the old SBF continues to let their Spam problem go out of control, it will hurt them. One thing I feel we will do for sure, maybe even soon: We will get page 1 results.
    Steve Chittenden

Web design, graphic design, professional writing, and marketing.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Array

The best thing people can do to help is just keep posting and starting new threads and if possible link back to the forum, both the home page and individual posts.
    Steve, do you know if tweets on twitter serve the back link purpose? Twitter uses a URL abbreviation via "tiny."

Paul

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I think Twitter links are nofollowed, but don't hold me to that. They end up appearing now on so many site pulling twitter info that some likely count along the way.

Just being realistic Steve. At the moment Google places heavy emphasis on domain age and trust and it'll be awhile before we earn that. Even once we get some there are a lot of other small business forums already ahead of us on the pecking order.

It's not to say we'll never get there, but more to say that we should make that our sole focus. Forums pick up most of their traffic through long tail phrases which we will get once more of our pages have been indexed. The more threads and posts we have here the more search traffic we'll eventually get.

Somewhere along the way we will earn the trust of search engines and will start ranking better for the main 'small business forum' query. But we don't need to rank #1 for the phrase in order to do very well with search traffic.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

Refugee from the .com
    Array

Yeah, and once we get to the #1 spot, we get more Spam too. Except by then, we might have a subscription fee to discourage those who would otherwise Spam us.
    Steve Chittenden

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

It's inevitable we'll get spam, but it's not that hard to deal with. You just need to have moderators paying attention and deleting it.

Array

It's inevitable we'll get spam, but it's not that hard to deal with. You just need to have moderators paying attention and deleting it.
    And members reporting it.

I am not so dismissive of the importance of a title. I am of the opinion that a page's title is the most important aspect in SERPS positioning. Especially on Google. And we don't have an html page title!
    Last edited by Spider; 08-10-2008 at 07:33 PM.

Refugee from the .com
    Array

Spider, since we (vangogh and I) are both very well familiar with SEO, I have no argument. In fact, we will deal with issues like this as we have opportunity. But your comment about members reporting Spam is a point I wanted to make too. Big time Amen! We count on members repoting this stuff. So far, we've not had a problem with this because we're not yet highly visible to search engines. But as we are more visible, I for one want to be sure the Spammers are kept at bay.

Whether we initiate paid membership or some other means, I have no intention of seeing this new SBF being tolerant of Spam. They may try to Spam us because their existence is so miserable they have nothing better to do, but their efforts will be wasted here because none of us want their sludge, and it won't last long if it does get posted. Everyone reporting it will help us keep this place clean so we can all enjoy a forum where Spam is not tolerated at all.
    Steve Chittenden

Array

I think Twitter links are nofollowed, but don't hold me to that. They end up appearing now on so many site pulling twitter info that some likely count along the way.
    Thank you, Steve. Do you know if the same applies to Plurk?

Paul