PDA

View Full Version : I have no idea what I'm doing...

Blessed
02-06-2009, 12:18 PM
Hello :)

first the background...
I've got a new client who fired their old designer. This client produces a monthly magazine, I've worked with them on a few small projects in the past, have always found them to be fair, to pay on time, and we work together pretty good. The old designer first asked for one dollar figure then after he received that demanded an additional several thousand dollars and pulled their website offline instead of transferring everything like he was supposed to. So instead of paying him the client wants me to arrange for producing a new website.

The guy I would have contracted it out to isn't able to do it right now but we've collaborated on a lot of projects in the past and he knows that I know just enough about web design to be dangerous so he's told me what to do and is walking me through the process. Originally we were going to just build a simple website from scratch using a template etc... and then over the next few months I was going to work on getting a proper website built. But... I got to thinking this morning - would I be better off to build the website off of a WordPress template instead of just a basic web template? I'm more familiar with working with the WordPress type sites and I think it could work...

I realize this is probably confusing, but if anyone has any input I'd appreciate it! Thanks!

thx4yrtym
02-06-2009, 01:35 PM
It's really hard to make recommendations given the limited amount of information. What are the client's specific web requirements? blog, forum, ecommerce, photo gallery, etc.

Regards,

Gregg

Harold Mansfield
02-06-2009, 01:36 PM
I use Wordpress on everything and I love the idea of setting up a magazine using it. I actually have 3 of them.
You can find some really great magazine style templates for about $100 or less that are just awesome, and it makes it really easy for the client to update daily on their own.

If you already have word press experience, it's just a matter of coding the colors you want , creating a custom header, and installing the plugins they want for different functionality.

Many popular online magazines use Word Press. It's a great choice.

cbscreative
02-06-2009, 01:48 PM
I will echo what Gregg said, knowing more about the goals and requirements will help us make a better recommendation. Fortunately, this forum has a lot of knowledgeable web people to help answer your questions.

vangogh
02-06-2009, 02:18 PM
Hard to know if WordPress is the better option, but lately I've been using it for more and more sites in general. The biggest roadblock would be your own experience and skill working with WordPress.

It can be easily set up as a CMS and no one ever needs to know it's built on software typically used for blogging. I'm finding it's a good way to set up a site that non-developers can easily make updates and changes to.

rezzy
02-06-2009, 02:45 PM
I echo its ease of use, everything is laid out in a logical way. Unlike true CMSes, like Joomla where there is learning curve to using it.

Again, we are jumping on bandwagon and we dont know where its heading. You could be taking us to fall in lake. So, more details and then I can jump on knowing all will be well.

Blessed
02-06-2009, 03:33 PM
Oh yea, I forgot about the details... :D

Right Now - all of the big ads will need to be shown on the website as well, a list of places to pick up the magazine (it isn't mailed, it's left in racks around town), how to contact us, an image of the cover of the current magazine and then general "about us" info that I think will just be on the front page of the website.

In the future - all of the ads online, eventually a photo gallery where people can purchase a copy of their picture and/or the entire spread about their event that was published in the magazine, and a online viewable - click through the pages type PDF of the entire magazine.

I don't think I forgot anything... and Rezzy I'll try not to let you fall in the lake!

Harold Mansfield
02-06-2009, 04:58 PM
Here are some links to some of my favorite Magazine style Word Press Themes. You can easily do everything you laid out with the proper plug ins.
WPSN|Style Wordpress (http://stylewp.com/products/newspaper-magazine-themes/wpsn.html)
Revolution Two Professional WordPress Themes (http://www.revolutiontwo.com/)
CelebrityPress Fashion Theme (http://www.plugandpress.com/demo/celebritypress/index.php?wptheme=celebritypress)
Titanium: Business WordPress Theme : WordPress Themes : Business WordPress Themes, WordPress CMS Themes (http://ithemes.com/purchase/titanium-business-wordpress-theme/)
Premium Wordpress Themes - Theme Spinner (http://www.themespinner.com/)

...and there are many, many others.

vangogh
02-06-2009, 06:47 PM
I was going to say the same. Everything you described can be done with WordPress and a plugin or two. Also if it every turns out you do need something more you can usually add it to WordPress seamlessly enough.

orion_joel
02-06-2009, 08:24 PM
Wordpress i think has almost become my default script, i am even planning to get my business site move to it this weekend. Which may or may not happen as i had hoped to have a great theme for it but at this point i have nothing, except maybe a little thought on doing it myself.

Blessed
02-06-2009, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'm supposed to hear from the client again this weekend... I'm sure I'll be back for more help!