PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to sell on eBay/Craigslist

wonderbread
10-15-2013, 06:23 PM
I started selling on ebay a year ago. I was't sure if it was going to work out or not, so I kept putting off the paperwork. If I go forward with this business, what license would I need and what expenses do I need to consider? (taxes, insurance, etc)

Now, I have multiple sources for inventory and started selling more on Facebook/Craigslist. Sales are growing, but I'm running out of space. If I want to keep up this pace, I need to rent space. I live near Chicago and there are tons of places available. I don't want to open a retail spot, but a storefront would help with in person sales.

MichaelNOCOMPLY
10-16-2013, 10:23 AM
Well if your just selling on ebay, craigslist, Facebook, etc then you don't need the "paperwork".
I have sold on ebay for many years and you dont need to fill out anything out like taxes. Ebay does all that for you.
What do you sell on ebay?

Freelancier
10-16-2013, 10:41 AM
Are you collecting sales taxes for in-state sales? Need to do that!

You can probably get away for a while without filing for a local business license, but once you start paying sales taxes, you'll be more obvious if they cross-check the lists. Something to think about.

Doesn't matter the venue you use for marketing... it matters where you're selling to and the volume of business you're doing. Periodic small sales, the governments don't care about. Inventory large enough you need to rent space, yeah, they're going to want a piece of the pie. Time to find a good accountant.

wonderbread
10-18-2013, 08:06 PM
What do you sell on ebay?
Everything. I get a lot of stuff from estate sales.

richmondtech
10-19-2013, 09:05 PM
Cheapest options:
Get a mailbox from UPS store or similar type place to use for a commercial address to obtain your business license.
Rent a storage unit to use as your inventory warehouse. Some storage facilities will allow you to leave a key at the office for the UPS or other delivery person so they drop off deliveries right to your unit if needed.

Linval
10-21-2013, 01:03 PM
Maybe you should consider a drop shipper.
So you don't need space to store the items. If u can find drop shipper for your products u list, sell and deliver without ever touching the product

wonderbread
10-21-2013, 09:38 PM
I haven't done much research on drop shipping. From what I have read, I've only seen negative things about it.

mrrodosmith
11-10-2013, 08:06 PM
Depending on your size of inventory, I agree with finding a way to obtain a storage unit to safely maintain your product. However, make sure the storage space/unit has a temperature-controlled environment. Also, be wary of humidity (depending on your inventory).

Twhansbury
11-11-2013, 10:13 AM
I do not believe you need it. But top sellers all have it. Bonding for buy safe. Its thru ebay and it is a guarantee for the guys. I do not believe it cost much to be bonded. And will help your ebay profile.