PDA

View Full Version : Tucson’s city sales tax forces me to charge two city sales taxes?

10-12-2013, 01:50 PM
Q: If my store is located outside the city limits, I don’t have to bother with Tucson’s city tax, do I?”

A: The out-of-city sales exemption is sometimes misunderstood. To take a valid out-of-city deduction, the order must be received at the seller's permanent out-of-city business location. Also, transfer of title and possession must take place outside the city and the stock must be located outside the city. If the order is received at your business location in Tucson, you must pay 2% tax to the City of Tucson even if the customer is located in another city. If your business is located outside Tucson city limits but you come into the city to take orders and/or deliver goods, you must contact the License Section to determine which business licenses are required.

http://cms3.tucsonaz.gov/sites/default/files/finance/faq_workshop_format_10_2011.pdf

The order is not received at my permanent out-of-city business location. It's received on my truck in Tucson city limits.

Transfer of title and possession takes place inside Tucson city limits and the stock is kept outside city limits on my truck.

The order is received on my truck in Tucson city limits, so I must pay 2% tax to the City of Tucson even if the customer is located in another city?

My business is located outside Tucson city limits but I come into the city to take orders and/or deliver goods.

So let's say I have a customer in Oro Valley, AZ. I need to charge them Tucson sales tax and Oro Valley sales tax, correct?

vangogh
10-13-2013, 12:28 AM
I'm certainly not a tax expert so keep that in mind. If I'm reading right it does sound like you'd be expected to pay taxes in both cities, butI find it strange that you'd have to. I would think it's one or the other. Did you contact the License Section? Maybe they could let you know. If not this is probably a question best asked of a tax professional in Arizona.

Freelancier
10-13-2013, 07:55 AM
This is why God created accountants. :) You should spend a couple hundred dollars and visit with one in your area who understands the rules and can explain them to you.

I have a client in AZ who sells a product... the inventory is out in the desert south of Phoenix, their office for taking sales calls is in Chandler, and their deliveries happen all over that area. The percentage they charge is based on the point of transfer for the product (either their office for pickups or the customer's location if they deliver it). And they had an accountant help them navigate the rules to get to the point where they could explain it to me so that I could program their order taking system.