PDA

View Full Version : Business plan subsection

nealrm
02-05-2009, 06:16 PM
There have been several threads relating to planning before starting a business. Most of these can be grouped into developing a business plan. How about adding a section under planning your business for business plans.

vangogh
02-05-2009, 06:37 PM
I was thinking about that. Originally I figured the Planning Your Business forum would be mostly about the same concepts in a business plan. If we did make a subforum for business plans what do you see that would be different in the subforum as opposed to the parent forum?

My other thought was the parent forum still hasn't grown to the point where a subforum is necessary. Maybe down the line it would make more sense.

Of course if people want a business plans subforum, I'll certainly add it regardless of the above. Let's let a few more people weigh in and get the discussion going. The subforum is a natural fit and I can see us adding it at some point. I'm wondering if that point is now or somewhere in the future.

Any thoughts?

nealrm
02-05-2009, 06:57 PM
I was thinking about sub-section relating to the general items of a business plan:

Product analysis (How to create the product for sale)
Market Analysis ( Who is your competition, how many could you sell, target market)
Cash flow analysis & planning (How much cash will you need over the next few years and were will you get it)

Please add in anything I may have left out.

orion_joel
02-05-2009, 08:24 PM
I could see that a business plan subsection may be useful. However i think the line would be very blurry what belonged where. For example a question could be asked which would be planning your business, but then the exact same question with the words business plan in you would have to assume belonged in the sub section, however this is maybe not directly going to be true.

Steve B
02-06-2009, 05:05 AM
I'm not a big fan of having a lot of subsections in general. It just doesn't seem to add much clarity to me and there aren't so many posts on this forum (yet) that it seems necessary for navigation. I see a lot of subsections as increasing the chances that people will put things in the wrong spot, making it easier for people to miss something that might be interesting to them.

That's just my opinion, it really wouldn't affect me one way or the other since I always just click on "new posts" and look at everything from every section anyway.

KristineS
02-06-2009, 09:09 AM
Planning your business hasn't grown that much, so I'm not sure that a sub forum is warranted at this point. Although Neal has a lot of good subject categories in his post, most of them could already be attributed to other sections of the forum that presently exist.

Would there be more value in having those topics all grouped in one place? Are people more likely to find them than they are if they're assigned to different forums?

nighthawk
03-24-2009, 08:50 AM
As others have said, there is a very fine line between what can be considered planning your business, and what can be considered part of the business plan.

I think it is far better to just keep the single room. If it does get busy and becomes too cluttered then adding sub forums could be considered.

vangogh
03-24-2009, 12:29 PM
Exactly how I'm looking at it Gavin. Maybe at some point it will make sense to add the subforum, but for now there really isn't a need.