PDA

View Full Version : Google 2.1: Anyone Get Hit?

LGCG
10-10-2013, 02:28 PM
Google 2.1 was launched on October 4, 2013. Has anyone seen a decrease in organic traffic? Any idea what type of links are being penalized?

PayForWords
10-14-2013, 12:23 AM
I know some people that have...

But thankfully, I'm not one of them.

Business Attorney
10-14-2013, 10:41 AM
I haven't been affected as far as I can see, but my traffic is pretty light and varies quite a bit from day to day, so trends only become apparent when I look at monthly data. Traffic tends to even out over the month so monthly data is pretty stable and it is easier to see a trend.

patrickprecisione
10-15-2013, 08:26 AM
I think I'm ok but is it too soon to say? I know that the update occurred early in the month. Would I know at this point or could it still affect me now?

MarkFSimmons
10-17-2013, 03:46 PM
We have seen an increase in inquires from companies that have been hit and are looking for an audit. If you use accepted best practices, you should be fine. There are many companies that seek out any and all links and that gets them in trouble. We help bail them out....over time :)

patrickprecisione
11-05-2013, 10:04 AM
We have seen an increase in inquires from companies that have been hit and are looking for an audit. If you use accepted best practices, you should be fine. There are many companies that seek out any and all links and that gets them in trouble. We help bail them out....over time :)

Hi Mark! how long would you say it usually takes for your company to "bail them out"? I suppose it usually depends on how long it takes for Google to crawl those new links you've built? Or is there more to it?

MarkFSimmons
11-05-2013, 09:54 PM
Hi Mark! how long would you say it usually takes for your company to "bail them out"? I suppose it usually depends on how long it takes for Google to crawl those new links you've built? Or is there more to it?

There are a number of factors and it's different for everyone. A chief factor is how many bad links there are and how long it takes for us to remove them, then Google to recrawl. I would say a ballpark estimate is 3-6 months from our experience.

If you follow the link in my signature, then click on Panda/Penguin Recovery in the footer, it gives an overview of the process we take to recover sites.

MarkFSimmons
11-06-2013, 08:49 AM

Let me add that it could take years or never recover. It depends on the extent of the damage and how far it's spread. Honestly, it's like cancer. If you can catch it early enough, you have a chance at recovery. If it's spread throughout, it may not be recoverable at all. Ultimately when we audit your site, we make a decision on how serious it is and then go from there. If we feel it's doable, we'll proceed. If it's as fargone as some we've seen, we walk away.

ProLectric
11-06-2013, 09:50 AM
No changes with our site. Thank goodness!

patrickprecisione
11-07-2013, 10:47 AM
Let me add that it could take years or never recover. It depends on the extent of the damage and how far it's spread. Honestly, it's like cancer. If you can catch it early enough, you have a chance at recovery. If it's spread throughout, it may not be recoverable at all. Ultimately when we audit your site, we make a decision on how serious it is and then go from there. If we feel it's doable, we'll proceed. If it's as fargone as some we've seen, we walk away.

Wow, crazy. And when you perform the audit- Are you mostly looking at the link profile? I would assume that any on-site work can be fixed relatively easily. The decision is most likely made depending on how many bad links are point to a site. Does that sound right to you?

MarkFSimmons
11-07-2013, 11:24 AM
Wow, crazy. And when you perform the audit- Are you mostly looking at the link profile? I would assume that any on-site work can be fixed relatively easily. The decision is most likely made depending on how many bad links are point to a site. Does that sound right to you?

We look at various items. The first thing we do is plot your traffic decline to known updates. Sometimes, poor site content can cause a fall or manual penalty. Google just released this week that now images that are mismatched can cause a penalty. Imagine that, images! So, we can say generally, it's a link profile issue - and with that, yes, both link count, quality and relevance are analyzed and reviewed and we take it from there.

Feel free to contact me to discuss your situation in more detail. My info is in my signature.