PDA

View Full Version : Why Contact Information Matters

KristineS
02-05-2009, 12:50 PM
I've seen this debate several times in different places, and I thought it was a good topic to open here.

When it comes to contact information on a web site there are two schools of thought. One school maintains that you should always have multiple forms of contact information on your web site, particularly if you sell things. The other school maintains that having a contact form is enough and customers don't need, or want, any more information than that.

I'm a adherent of the first school, and an experience I had today reminded me why that is. I'm trying to make a purchase for one of our companies. We found the exact item we wanted at a good price. When I went to place the order, their online check-out form malfunctioned twice. They had a report checkout problems link, so I clicked that and reported my issue. I still haven't heard back from them.

After that I went looking for a phone number so I could call and place the order. There isn't one anywhere on the site. In the absence of a phone number, I tried contacting them through their online contact form. That malfunctioned as well.

Now, granted, this is obviously a poorly maintained site, but simply having a telephone number available would at least have let me alert someone to the problems, and possibly would have allowed me to place the order I wanted to place. As it is, I'll probably go elsewhere because now I'm annoyed.

Where do you guys all stand on contact information? How important do you think it is to have multiple forms of it available?

cbscreative
02-05-2009, 12:59 PM
I'm with you completely! Not having a phone number, physical address, and other forms of contact is a ploy used by scammers. Any real business should make it easy for people to contact them.

nealrm
02-05-2009, 01:11 PM
KristineS,
You make some good points. When selling anything, you want to make sure your clients can reach you easily. That normally includes some type of online contact form and phone numbers. Unfortunately, spammers have made just posting an email address on your site impracticable.

vangogh
02-05-2009, 03:26 PM
Kristine I agree with you, though I'll offer a caveat. I think to some degree it depends on how much new business the site wants. That may sound a little strange since common sense would say the site wants as much new business as it can get. But is that really true.

Most service based businesses have a limited amount of clients they can handle without either outsourcing some work or hiring new employees. Some businesses may not want to do either so at some point they may not need new clients at the same rate. Maybe just enough to replace clients who no longer need services.

In that case you might not offer ever form of contact on your site. Sure it will lead to less people contacting you, but that may be appropriate for your given situation.

Overall the main point to keep in mind is that people are different. Some will fill out a form and some won't. Some need a phone number and others won't care. Just know that the more ways you offer contact information the more people will contact you. If you don't need as many people contacting you then you can scale back on the ways people contact you.

Harold Mansfield
02-05-2009, 03:44 PM
What about affiliate sites ?
I have wrestled with the contact thing for a while. My mind tells me that if products are sold by a 3rd party that the contact information of that company will suffice. IOW if I sell Amazon products , there is no need for my contact information, but I should make Amazon customer service, returns policies, and such available on the site.

Do you think affiliate sites need contact information ?

KristineS
02-05-2009, 03:59 PM
I think any retail site that sells anything definitely needs multiple forms of contact information. It may be a little different for a service site, but if you're selling physical product, your customers need to be able to contact you.

For an affiliate site, I'd just put up something that directed people with problems to the appropriate manufacturer or whatever. Just give them a method to resolve issues and you should be fine.

Aaron Hats
02-05-2009, 04:23 PM
Not only do I look for contact info but if I'm buying something I look for a physical store address. If I have a choice between a store that is online only and one that has a B&M store I'll take the B&M store every time. That's not always possible but I try.

Aaron

vangogh
02-05-2009, 05:44 PM
Aaron if both an online store and a physical store exist, would you buy from the online store. For example Barnes & Noble has both. Would you be willing to buy something through their site or would you only visit the physical location to buy?

nealrm
02-05-2009, 06:28 PM
eborg9,
That is somewhat similar to our site. We advertise real estate for the agents. Our contact information is present, but not ready apparent. However, we have complete contact information for all the agents.

Dan Furman
02-05-2009, 09:08 PM
I have my full contact info, plus a form. But sometimes I kind of wonder about the phone - it's just me here, so "feeler" phone calls can be time-consuming.

The form, far and away, gets used the most. I don't know why, but I find that interesting :)

Aaron Hats
02-05-2009, 09:55 PM
Aaron if both an online store and a physical store exist, would you buy from the online store. For example Barnes & Noble has both. Would you be willing to buy something through their site or would you only visit the physical location to buy?

If I lived anywhere else I would go to the physical store but since I'm in a rural area I don't have access to a lot of the stores most people do. Say for example, I want to buy vitamins. I do an online search for what I need and find store 1 which is online only and store 2 which is online but also has a physical storefront. Even if the prices at store 2 are slightly more I'll buy from them. I know what it takes to run a retail store and a web site so I can appreciate what it takes to be successful and want to give my business to somebody doing the same thing.

Aaron

billbenson
02-06-2009, 02:53 AM
I have my phone number posted all over the site. I don't have my address or name on the site. When I put my phone on the site, my business tripled. That was because, however, I have a product that requires a consultative sell.

There is a definite trend in the larger companies to make it more difficult to contact by phone. I'm sure that's because phone consultation, even outsourced to India, is expensive. In many cases, personal information just plain isn't necessary. In some cases it is.

Steve B
02-06-2009, 05:37 AM
Dan, that's interesting to hear your form gets used the most. I would have guessed the opposite. I guess there are more people than I would have guessed that like the forms. I hate them.

I try to avoid the sites that don't give a phone number or make it hard to find. I've often paid a bit more to deal with a company that has a real customer service aspect to them. I like to see e-mail and a phone number. But, the phone number is the key for me.

KristineS
02-06-2009, 09:07 AM
I do know that having people answer the phone is expensive. We deal with that here. Still, I think there's something to be said for knowing that you can talk to a real person when you need to do so.

I think, at the minimum, there should be an e-mail and a phone number on retail sites. I also think that companies should set response times and stick to them.

The company that I contacted about their faulty checkout still hasn't contacted me back. They've lost the sale, that's a given, but they've also frustrated a potential customer and virtually ensured that I'll tell others at some point.

vangogh
02-06-2009, 11:37 AM
Interesting Aaron. I had a feeling you'd still go to the store and I think there are many other people who do the same. I'll buy from either depending on what I'm buying and how soon I really want it.

With a phone number on a site I usually don't plan on calling, but knowing I can helps me trust the site more.

Steve people do use contact forms. I know you don't like them, but most people don't have a problem with them even if they don't always use them. It's just another way for people to get in touch. If you want more people to contact you then you should offer as many ways as possible for them to get in touch. Most might be fine with a call or an email, but some will prefer the contact form.

Dan Furman
02-06-2009, 12:09 PM
Dan, that's interesting to hear your form gets used the most. I would have guessed the opposite. I guess there are more people than I would have guessed that like the forms. I hate them.

Mine is pretty short. I have found that the shorter I made it, the more it got used.

billbenson
02-06-2009, 01:07 PM
People hate forms. Short and sweet is always the best. Seperate optional fields is a good approach. Get the email and the question. Maybe a name. That way you can personalize your response. Phone is a good field as well because of spam filters.

Harold Mansfield
02-06-2009, 01:25 PM
Not only do I look for contact info but if I'm buying something I look for a physical store address. If I have a choice between a store that is online only and one that has a B&M store I'll take the B&M store every time. That's not always possible but I try.

Aaron

The problem with that is, some store only exist online. Especially niche products. I don't put any of my own contact info on my affiliate sites, but the manufacturers stuff is readily available.
I have still had people use "whois" to track down my information and phone number or administrative email and contact me about an item they saw on a site, which always surprises me. The first time it happened I thought it was a friend playing a trick on me:eek:

vangogh
02-06-2009, 01:58 PM
I don't think it's that people hate contact forms so much as they hate being asked for unnecessary information. For example why do you need my phone number when all I want is an email newsletter? The answer is you don't.

If you want people to use your forms make them as simple as possible. Only ask for information that's absolutely necessary. You can gather more information at a later time when it's appropriate.

For a simple contact form all you really need is a name, an email address, and some place to leave a comment. Less is more when it comes to contact forms.

Dan Furman
02-06-2009, 02:05 PM
For a simple contact form all you really need is a name, an email address, and some place to leave a comment. Less is more when it comes to contact forms.

I ask for name, e-mail, phone, URL, and a brief comment. I do not require the phone and URL (but since I do a lot of web copy, it gets used a lot.)

I also have an easy to read Capchta (or however you spell it.) I hate that this is necessary, but it is.

vangogh
02-06-2009, 07:04 PM
I'm not using captcha at the moment. It bugs me when I have to fill it out so I try not to use it unless it's absolutely necessary.

You can see the phone and URL aren't really necessary since you aren't requiring them. My thought is that even being in the form, required or not, someone may not submit the form because they don't want to give their phone number or don't have a site.

I figure that information can be collected easily enough later. If we need to speak on the phone we'll exchange numbers. I also know I'm not going to call someone in response to an email. I'm going to reply to the the form sends with another email. I won't need the phone number at first so why require it.

There's indication less form fields leads to more people using the form. I doubt your form is preventing people from contacting you, though. It's still a simple form and it's clearly marked which fields are required.

Steve B
02-06-2009, 07:47 PM
I agree the simpler the form, the better.

Although, I must admit I actually hate the form also. I'm just too sensitive to the fact that so many people are collecting information to be used in marketing efforts down the road. As a consumer, I always have my antenna's up to be on the lookout for any information gathering effort. I figure if I put it in a form, then it's practically guaranteed to end up in a database. If I send somone an e-mail, then they at least have to go to the effort to type my information into the database. Many companies have lost my business if the only way to get more information was to fill out a form - no matter how short.

I'm sure I'm wrong in some cases, but I don't want to take the chance.

Dan Furman
02-07-2009, 12:15 AM
If we need to speak on the phone we'll exchange numbers. I also know I'm not going to call someone in response to an email.

Damn... neither am I.... great point. I can't believe I never thought of this.

form fixed (phone number field gone) ... still have the Captcha thingee, though ... I started using it when I was getting about 50 bogus submissions a day. But it's funny - I have another form on another page, and that one NEVER gets fake submissions.

Aaron Hats
02-07-2009, 12:36 PM
The problem with that is, some store only exist online. Especially niche products.

Yes, sometimes I don't have a choice but when I do I prefer one with a storefront. I'm sure it's simply because of my own situation being a retailer.

Harold Mansfield
02-07-2009, 01:55 PM
Yes, sometimes I don't have a choice but when I do I prefer one with a storefront. I'm sure it's simply because of my own situation being a retailer.

Of course. I still find myself mentally critiquing Bartenders, Waiters, and Cab/Limo Drivers and judging them by the kind of service person I used to be, (and of course they are never as good as I was :))

I think when you take pride and something, especially if you have built it from the ground up, you can't help but judge others in a similar line of work by your standards of excellent. More than likely we all let some things pass that we wouldn't do, but, we are especially critical of those that are in the same line of work.

Business Attorney
02-07-2009, 02:24 PM
But it's funny - I have another form on another page, and that one NEVER gets fake submissions.

I have some contact forms on some simple websites that generally get very little traffic. Recently, one of the sites starting getting a spate of forms filled in with link spam. I assume that someone who produces one of the many automated spam programs discovered the contact form page for that website and added it to his program. My similar sites get zero fake forms. I'll bet your page made someone's list...

vangogh
02-09-2009, 10:00 AM
Glad to help Dan. I used to do the same thing as you, but then realized the point above. Now I try to only collect what info is absolutely needed and ask for the rest at a later time.

Steve I think it depends on the form. If someone is asking for lots of unnecessary info in the form then I agree on not filling it out. But if someone is simply asking for your name and email on a contact form it's just the info they need to reply to whatever it is you want to say.

Steve B
02-09-2009, 06:43 PM
That's how I react to all forms - no matter how short. I realize others are different, but I also know I'm not alone. I won't fill out ANY on-line form if there is a competitor that doesn't have a form. For me, it doesn't matter how simple it is. If they are only asking for my name and e-mail, then I'm almost guaranteed to receive e-mail solicitations from them down the road that I would prefer not to get. So, I'll move on to someone without a form. Shorter is better, but, for me, none is best.

Marcomguy
02-09-2009, 09:50 PM
I usually look for a physical address or location on a company's site. It kind of reassures me that I'm dealing with a "solid" business. Plus I want to know whom I'm doing business with, and part of that is knowing where they're based.

vangogh
02-10-2009, 10:15 AM
almost guaranteed to receive e-mail solicitations from them down the road that I would prefer not to get.

That's not really true. Not everyone who has your email address is selling it at the first opportunity. That basic contact form is only collecting the same info you'd send if you composed your own email instead of going through the form. And by the same logic if you give a company a call couldn't they sell your number to the first telemarketer to ask.

Steve B
02-10-2009, 10:32 AM
I didn't mention anything about selling it. I don't want to get future e-mails from them.

If I send someone an e-mail (versus filling out their form), at least it makes me feel that they have to take an extra step to put it in their database. I'm just giving you my perception of forms. I don't fill them out, except if I've already decided to buy something.

By the way, I get almost ZERO junk e-mail (less than 3 a day anyway - compared to other people that seems to be pretty good).

vangogh
02-10-2009, 10:53 AM
It's no more difficult to add an email address from a contact form to a database than it is to enter one that is sent. A contact form arrives as an email usually. There really isn't much difference. Your assumption is that all contact forms add you to an email list. Some do, but not all. If you're filling out your email address in exchange for a free ebook or something similar then you probably will be placed on an email list. I use an email address I specifically created just for that purpose. It's not used for anything else so it's easy enough to delete any mail that comes to it.

With a typical contact form where you'd be inquiring about services you probably won't end up on any list. It's simply going to send the site an email the same as if you sent an email yourself.

Steve B
02-10-2009, 12:14 PM
I'm sure your right.

But, I still won't be filling out any forms.

Just H
02-10-2009, 12:19 PM
It does seem that the industry has a lot to do with the type of contact people prefer. It makes total sense to me that a professional writer would get contacted by email - when you receive the response, you have the first writing sample to base if this person will be the right one for what you need.

For my graphic projects I rarely talk to my clients on the phone and by far prefer to go back and forth by email. This is partly because I'd rather not have that phone time interrupt what I'm doing and I'd rather not be on the phone in general. But aside from personal preferences, if I get the info by email, I have written account of it, I can send online proofs and get a direct response to what I've just sent (again in writing) and both parties can respond with full focus when they sit down to do it. Having all their comments/suggestions/requirement in email form is something I go back to time and again. I don't have to take extra time to write them down somewhere and try to keep everything together and I have their exact written words to fall back on if they say I haven't done as specified.

I understand that having a phone number available may be a deciding factor for some clients but if that's their major mode of communication, I'd rather not work for them in my biz, where I spend twice the time on the job and get half the information for the same pay.

I have included a phone number on my site (very reluctantly), basically just to have it there, but truth is, clients will get a response from me much faster and more focused if they just send an email. And since we're working on more of a national/global market, the time zones don't get in the way of email so much.

For a service based industry however, I think not only having a phone number is important, but making sure IT'S ANSWERED (in a professional manner) when the client calls is essential. Regardless of the market, product or service, when I put in a call or email and get a quick professional response, I'm much more likely to go with that company.

KristineS
02-10-2009, 12:37 PM
For retail businesses I think a phone number is essential. You're selling something that could be the wrong size, color, break, whatever, and people want to be assured that there will be someone they can talk to directly if there's an issue.

A service business is a bit different. In those cases, I'd probably prefer e-mail as well.

billbenson
02-14-2009, 09:05 AM
Regarding Spam...

Set up a throw away email if you are worried about this. I have several. All my emails get spam anyway. I get about 500 spam emails a day. Most end up in my spam filter. Some make it to my inbox. You can set up a filter in outlook or Thunderbird so all emails to that email address go to a particular folder.

Most of the spam emails I get are because my emails are sitting in someones address book. A lot of spyware and viruses are for the purpose of collecting emails. Since I make a point of emailing my customers or prospects so they have my contact information, I'm likely to get put on lists, but its my way of marketing. The number of sites that actually harvest emails are pretty low and aren't legitimate businesses, just sites for harvesting emails.