PDA

View Full Version : Tax identity for LLC

bevett
10-02-2013, 12:28 PM
I ran a small business last year (that went defunct in 2012) as an LLC. I was the sole Manager, though I had a number of investors who were passive members. My limited understanding was that we were considered a corporation for tax purposes. However, when I filed a form 1120 this year, it came back 6 months later, saying that I was a disregarded entity and had to file an 8832 or file it under my personal tax return on Schedule C. When the company closed I indicated to my passive members that they should claim it as as capital loss under the rules for a corporation. But perhaps that was wrong

I need to file an amended return, or refile after submitting my 8832, but I was wondering which course was more proper for our situation. I don't understand the subtleties well at all. The business was fairly small and I couldn't afford an accountant, nor can I now, so I'm trying to figure it out on my own.

Thanks!

Freelancier
10-02-2013, 12:45 PM
I'll bet if you looked around, you'd be able to find a local accountant willing to answer your questions on this for less than $300... and you'll get answers specific to your situation instead of what you'll get in a free forum, which is accounting information that might not match your specific situation.

Even calling the IRS help line and explaining the situation might get you better advice than a free forum.