PDA

View Full Version : My Name or WebAddress for Social Media Marketing?

kid
09-27-2013, 01:07 PM
Hello

I am working on the marketing of my blog. The category is Finance (stocks).

I have a logo. I also have an about me page on my blog. The name (web address) of my blog is not my name.

How do I market my blog on Facebook, twitter, google plus and linked in.

Should I use my name or the web address? I am more comfortable with web address. How does it work? any input and advice will be highly appreciated.

Thanks a lot:confused:

phanio
09-27-2013, 02:02 PM
Do both - for the greatest benefit and then target each one to different market segments.

Patrysha
09-28-2013, 03:04 AM
It's largely a matter of personal preference and what your ideal target market expects and what the media your using is (for example you might want to use your name on Twitter, but send people to a business page on Facebook). If your industry is largely personality driven, then using your name would make more sense across all the standard social media. Writers, coaches & speakers often fall into this category. I have no clue how it works in finance - but it does seem the names of investing companies tend to be name based (Edward Jones was the one that came to mind).

I personally use my name for almost everything...usernames, profiles...there are a few things that are branded towards a company or project (Facebook Pages, a couple of defunct YouTube accounts, Pinterest Boards)...but I started as a freelance writer...where getting editors to remember your name was a step closer to publication :-)

Harold Mansfield
09-28-2013, 11:30 AM
If I think what you are asking is if you should market using your personal name or company name, I say use your company name or website.
You can present yourself as part of the company of course, such as on Linked In, but all of your marketing endeavors should be for the company.

You SHOULD NOT use your personal profile to market your business on Facebook. Business associates should not be seeing your communications with friends and family, or whether or not you are playing Candy Crush all day.
I highly recommend keeping it separate.

Chase
10-02-2013, 09:31 AM
I'd have a facebook page with your business name and use your own name on twitter but have your website etc in your bio. That way you can interact with people and retweet others and hopefully people will retweet your blog. It takes a while to build up but don't go in pushing your blog, follow the right people and get atlking to them, not just about business, twitter works differently.

KristineS
10-02-2013, 11:31 AM
Where possible, for us anyway, all business stuff is under the business name and uses the business logo. Sometimes the social media site in question won't let you start a business page without attaching it to a personal profile.

I'm a big believer in keeping business and personal separate. Your business profiles should be started with the idea of presenting a specific image and message about your business. Using the business name and logo helps reinforce that.

Note: this doesn't mean you can't include personal details and non sales messages on your business feeds, it just means that the place, as Harold said, to talk about Candy Crush and how much your kids are bugging you is somewhere else than your business page.

BoomWorks
10-02-2013, 04:36 PM
Market with the name of the website rather than your personal name. The website is where you want the focus to be anyway, in case you decide to sell the company or start another endeavor. Business pages, company pages, and group pages are easily created in the big platforms. With Google +, one of the things that we sometimes do with the shared content there is to make a distinctive address. For instance, if you worked for The Boom Works, you would be known as TheBoomWorksKid@gmail.com for the author identification. :)

There's a lot more o getting started with online marketing, but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty sweet.

kid
10-05-2013, 07:53 PM
Thank you very much!