PDA

View Full Version : New Site Design

billbenson
09-21-2013, 07:29 PM
Thinking about doing a wp martial arts site for a friend. His site sucks, but it does have some good text for his bio and a few other things. Only a couple of pages. My proposal would be to have him write a page in word and give me any images about once a month or so to put on the site. For the well written text from his current site, I would put that on the new site with no index no follow.

In say two years we could have a good reference site, add a cart to it, 301 it to his current domain. Money permitting, we could have it professionally redone. While this process is going on, we would have two sites with say three no index no follow pages that are identical and grow the new site. The old site would have the stuff that is important for his business such as class schedules. At the appropriate time (when we place high on G SERPS) 301 the new site to the old domain.

The idea is to have a site that is well done and a revenue stream in a couple of years.

Oh, and there is no reason not to write adwords pages and pause them until it goes live. Could even take the adwords pages live from time to time to test keywords.

Any comments, ideas etc?

vangogh
09-21-2013, 08:43 PM
I have a better idea. Just build the best site you can and stop worrying about all the search engine stuff.

If you no index, no follow the pages, you'll be telling search engines to ignore the pages and the site. Redirecting those pages to another domain later will be pointless. You'd be better off just building new pages on the domain being redirected to.

Forget about thinking up ways to manipulate search rankings. Redo the current site so it's appealing to real people and keep adding new content to it and consistently work to make the site better. Improve the content. Improve the site itself. Improve how you promote the site, etc. That will increase the odds the site is successful in two years a few thousand fold over building a few hidden pages on hidden sites and looking for the perfect time to redirect things.

billbenson
09-21-2013, 10:21 PM
So add the 3 or 4 dup content pages to the new site, add a unique page a month, and when it places in the SERPS add revenue stream stuff.

I have a lot of ideas for revenue stream stuff, but you gotta get the targeted traffic first!

Oh, by the way, most martial arts sites suck, which leaves a nice opportunity.

Wozcreative
09-22-2013, 03:09 PM
I have a lot of ideas for revenue stream stuff, but you gotta get the targeted traffic first!
=

No you gotta get a good functioning site, with lots of content up first. People need to interact with the content. The more useful content there is the better.

I also don't understand the point of duplicate content? Google ignores content that is duplicate if you're aiming for ranking. A unique page each month? No. Try 1 - 2 times a day if you are going for something with high volume, interactivity, a community etc etc.

If you're only doing it for purpose of search results. You're gonna last 6 - 8 weeks with this one.

billbenson
09-22-2013, 09:19 PM
No you gotta get a good functioning site, with lots of content up first. People need to interact with the content. The more useful content there is the better.

I also don't understand the point of duplicate content? Google ignores content that is duplicate if you're aiming for ranking. A unique page each month? No. Try 1 - 2 times a day if you are going for something with high volume, interactivity, a community etc etc.

If you're only doing it for purpose of search results. You're gonna last 6 - 8 weeks with this one.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you on this one Woz. There is next to no good martial artists sites on the internet. The art goes back more than 1k years. There are thousands of styles and very few knowledgeable instructors. There is that much material that is out there that is not published anywhere. What you see on youtube or other sites is mostly beginner stuff. Of course there are exceptions. After you have been doing it for 10 or more years and if you will start to learn the real art. That information just plain isn't available on the internet. An analogy to that would be trying to extract how to make a bunch of money online from a good webmaster who has made a bunch through some strategy. He's not just going to tell you. You need to extract bits and pieces from here and there over time.

Once a month over two years could make a very good reference site. Then you try to monetize it. It wouldn't be a blog, but rather a reference site. Much of the information and videos could be in a member section or pay for download. Could also sell merchandise.

It definitely would last years, not 6 to 8 weeks. I didn't put an unrealistic time frame on it. I said 2 years or possibly more. Remember this isn't my first time out. I've written and marketed a very profitable niche website that I've been at for years. I rank 2 or 3 on G for my most important search terms. It keeps me on the phone or answering emails from 8 am to 8 pm should I decide to work those hours.

I would want to put the dup content on both sites. 3 pages or so. Those pages don't really need to rank if the site ranks, so it sounds like it's no big deal

Forget about thinking up ways to manipulate search rankings. Redo the current site so it's appealing to real people and keep adding new content to it and consistently work to make the site better. Improve the content. Improve the site itself. Improve how you promote the site, etc. That will increase the odds the site is successful in two years a few thousand fold over building a few hidden pages on hidden sites and looking for the perfect time to redirect things.

I'm really not trying to manipulate rankings. I'm building a site that I want to combine with the current site under the current sites URL in a few years.

Wozcreative
09-23-2013, 01:44 PM
I just dont believe dedicating once a month to this would make it worth the time and effort. For what you're going for I'd spend at least 3 hours a day updating content, articles, videos etc. After that you should be adding more hours managing the site. You'll need a web master that is fully dedicated to what you're goals are.. and that will be hard to do since web designers/developers have their own agenda unless you hire them fulltime.

Patrysha
09-23-2013, 03:18 PM
Once a month over 2 years is only 24 posts/pages/articles. I think it takes a lot more than that to be perceived as an authority/reference site. Nothing wrong with the concept, I just think you'll need a lot more content if you want to transition into monetizing it. Is there a good market for it online...the only MMA guys I've worked with were very sketchy with computer skills/interest.

billbenson
09-23-2013, 06:09 PM
Still, in two years it will be a 100 page plus reference site. Only when referring to blogs have I seen the requirement for multiple posts a week. That also assumes you want traffic from day one. I'm talking about a site that goes live in two years. By then the domain has aged. The content is out there over the years, and most of the material is unique good reference content. I see no reason you need multiple pages a week with that objective?

Patrysha
09-24-2013, 12:27 AM
I must not be understanding the math. Do you mean to publish several articles once a month then...to reach 100 + by the two year mark? The only issue I can see with that is potential competition...if it's a market with decent money behind it it won't be a lonely niche for long...

vangogh
09-24-2013, 03:04 AM
Bill I think I read your original post wrong and misunderstood what you were trying to do. My bad for reading too quickly. On second read it sounds like you're looking to build a new site behind the scenes and maintain both until you're ready to turn them back into one site.

Why not just add the content to the existing site while working on a redesign behind the scenes? When the new design is ready change the the existing site so it uses the new design? Think content types. You'll have some permanent pages like About, Contact, etc. You'll have some article pages. Maybe some image only pages and/or video pages. Create the design around the different content types. You won't need all the content on the new site, just a representative example of each type of content.

I have to agree with Woz and Patrysha. I think more content would be better, though I think the quality of the content is more important than the quantity.

billbenson
09-24-2013, 02:51 PM
I must not be understanding the math. Do you mean to publish several articles once a month then...to reach 100 + by the two year mark? The only issue I can see with that is potential competition...if it's a market with decent money behind it it won't be a lonely niche for long...

I think it will Patrysha, because there are very few people in the world that can create the content and they tend to be lousy business people.

I just had a long talk with steve and we have a strategy on this.

There were a lot of misunderstandings of what I want to do and goals on this thread.

vangogh
09-25-2013, 02:17 AM
I know I misunderstood at first. My bad for reading too quickly. Bill is limited a bit, because this isn't his site and part of what he's trying to do is build a site to convince his friend he should update his site. That makes it harder as the new content will end up on the new site, which will eventually get merged with the existing site in time.

More content would definitely help, but I think if the images are mixed in more frequently, ideally with a few words about them, a longer article each month could work. Every other week or every week would be better.

billbenson
09-25-2013, 01:02 PM
I'm meeting with him Sunday to discuss putting it in a subfolder on his site. When I started think about this, the revenue streams are incredible. I think it could easily dwarf the money I make from my current site. And it would be doing something I enjoy. There are pages that I think I could charge $500 for access to. Some would be more along the $100 dollar range. I'd start high and adjust the price point to the market in any case.

Again, some of this information is out there. The real important stuff isn't and not that many people know it. I don't see very much competition.

vangogh
10-02-2013, 01:34 AM
How did the meeting go? Were you able to convince him to let you work on the site?

billbenson
10-02-2013, 03:57 AM
How did the meeting go? Were you able to convince him to let you work on the site?

Sunday meeting went well including the beer. My computer is actinjg up so obviously you didn''t get my email.

We will start with a small section of a kata: full speed, slow speed, frame by frame of movements, and bunkai (what each movement does) frame by frame. There are usually 4 levels of bunkai from knocking someone down to ....

It will take a few years years to put together and won't fail in 8 days. Every kata will have the history of it and the originator. Descriptions of the movements etc., adding content. Absolutely nothiing in that format exists on the internet today.

It will be placed in a subfolder on the original domain so the 301 issue won't be an issue. Same as my new site.

I need to get the passwords and I will have you set up a boilerplate.

vangogh
10-08-2013, 01:31 AM
Sounds like a plan. You probably don't have to wait years to start charging money for some of the content. This doesn't have to all be seo either. If you release some free content on a regular basis and promote it, you can build an audience around the site and once it grows large enough (which doesn't have to be very large) you can probably sell admission to some of the content you want to charge for.