PDA

View Full Version : Customer claiming I have damaged their property

Tarranty
09-18-2013, 06:32 AM
Hello, we are a small blind manufacturing company and have only been trading a few weeks. Just hoping for a bit of advice on our first problem, I went to fit some blinds for a customer yesterday, they have claimed I scratched their patio window. The scratch measures only 1" but I am absolutely adamant that I did not do this and know they are trying it on. My customer service was probably not at it's best and I left without completing the job as he was getting more and more irate. From a call this morning, he has said that I either repair the window or he will take me to court. My wife has said to back down for reputation's sake but as I know I didn't do it I am reluctant. Advice from anyone who has been in a similar position would be great. Thanks

Steve B
09-18-2013, 06:45 AM
I would let them take me to court.

Freelancier
09-18-2013, 07:57 AM
If I was sure they couldn't prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that it was me, then, yes, I'd let them take me to court. And I'd look into liability insurance if you haven't already done that.

On the other hand, I'm not sure I would ever have walked off a job. I've even completed a job for someone who had similar communication skills to my ex-wife (:mad:)... I just didn't accept any subsequent jobs from him. But I finished what I said I would finish. It's called "being a professional even when the client isn't one."

Tarranty
09-18-2013, 08:23 AM
If I was sure they couldn't prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that it was me, then, yes, I'd let them take me to court. And I'd look into liability insurance if you haven't already done that.

On the other hand, I'm not sure I would ever have walked off a job. I've even completed a job for someone who had similar communication skills to my ex-wife (:mad:)... I just didn't accept any subsequent jobs from him. But I finished what I said I would finish. It's called "being a professional even when the client isn't one."

Thanks for the helpful reply, you're right, professionalism would have made me finish the contracted job, however, he had no intention of paying me and has said that until I finish the job and replace the window he will not pay me. I think it's best that I do not complete the work but cut my losses and walk away.

Freelancier
09-18-2013, 09:06 AM
Most contractors doing installations of product they they have to purchase require a down payment from the client that at least covers the cost of the product. Something to think about.

KristineS
09-18-2013, 12:32 PM
There are a lot of factors at work here. First, what can you prove and what can he prove? Second, how new are you and how much damage can this person do to your fledgling company's reputation? Third, what's going to cost more, not only in money, but in time and possible reputation hits? You have to remember, in today's marketing climate, one mad customer isn't just one mad customer, if he has the inclination and the right tools, he can spread his story to tons of people, and then you're fighting a public relations battle. For a new company, that's something that has to be considered.

DeniseTaylor
09-18-2013, 01:58 PM
This is a very difficult problem. It is your word against his and his word against yours. I think you're going to have to go with your instincts on this one. On one hand, paying to have it repaired and "taking the high road" could save you a lot of grief down the road. But if I did that, I would refuse to accept jobs from the person in the future.

Good luck!

Harold Mansfield
09-18-2013, 02:31 PM
First of all, NEVER start a job without some kind of money up front. If the client has nothing invested they own you. They can use payment as blackmail. When they have something invested they now run the risk of loosing that money if they try to strong arm you or become too difficult to work with.

In this instance, I'd tell them to take you to court. Or try to come up with another solution. A 1" scratch doesn't necessarily require a window replacement. Can't it be repaired with filler like they do with windshields?

DisQ
09-18-2013, 03:25 PM
In Second Life(virtual world) we call this sort of people a griefer. There is no reasoning with such a person.
Standard advice: ignore and move on.

nealrm
09-18-2013, 08:03 PM
I am assume that he saw the scratch as you were working and that is why he was irate. You should have stop when he first mentioned it and worked out what he thought happened.

Tarranty
09-19-2013, 07:09 AM
Well, after explaining to him that there was nothing that I carry to fit a blind that could scratch glass he asked for me to go round and remove the half installed blinds and refund his deposit which I agreed to, then he suggested that I go and complete the job and he will pay me cash. I can only assume that someone else in the family has come clean on the scratch and he has backed down. Thanks for all the advice and help, I have found a gem of a forum and have learned a lot!