PDA

View Full Version : Are signup fields not good when you always see them?

DisQ
09-18-2013, 04:47 AM
It has been suggested that on my website Keep track of the prices of your competitor. (http://www.dotterde.com) it is not good that you always see the signup fields.

I would like to know what you think of this in general.

My argument: I want people to be able to signup the moment they decide to do so without having to look for a "signup" link.
The opposing argument: It is spammy and feels like a salesperson hovering over you every step of the way.

Freelancier
09-18-2013, 05:11 AM
In general, my feeling on sign-up forms is that I'm willing to fill one out (and only one per site) IF I'm getting something I want in return. In other words, one of my sites has a minimal sign-up form for people to download and try my product. Customers are usually ok with filling out the form with their correct information to get the software, so it's a trade that they accept as well. There's minimal checking on the form, but I'm still seeing about 98% accurate information for both name and e-mail address, which is good for what I'm doing.

However, for what you're specifically doing, that's up to you. Does filling it out provide users with something they want?

DisQ
09-18-2013, 06:08 AM
Users must signup because they will be creating a database for themselves which they have to manage.
I need to connect a name to the data. The email is adked so I can send them a temporary password if they firget the one they put in.

But the question is if the fields have to be visible all the time (on my site on the right) or a "sign up here" link is better.

Freelancier
09-18-2013, 07:54 AM
But the question is if the fields have to be visible all the time (on my site on the right) or a "sign up here" link is better.

That's up to you whether you want sign-up to be a 1-click process or a 2-click process. If you do 2 clicks, then you give people a chance to back out. With 1-click, they enter the data you want and they're registered without a chance to change their minds. Think like your user for a few minutes and you'll figure out which way is best for them, which in turn will get you the most registrations.

DisQ
09-18-2013, 08:24 AM
I don't see the need to change their minds. ;)
They want to sign up, so they sign up. If they signed up but decide not to use the service.
They just don't. does not cost them anything.
It is possible to change their e-mail and their password after logging in so that is also not a problem.

From your words I read that in no way do you find it annoying or to 'in your face' if the signup fields are always there while you go through the menu options(before logging in this is explaination about the service and a contact form)?

Freelancier
09-18-2013, 09:08 AM
I have no problems with sign-up forms existing in the margins of a page if that's the fastest way for someone to sign up. It's your pages, so you get to decide how to partition the real estate. And if I find something useful, I might sign up, but if there's nothing useful, then having the fields also on the page won't matter. :)

KristineS
09-18-2013, 12:27 PM
I think having the sign up as a permanent option on the side isn't that much of an issue. It doesn't look spammy, it's just there.

jamesray50
09-18-2013, 12:44 PM
Personally sign up forms irritate me. It's getting to the point now where it's hard to research / find something without the website wanting details on you. I realize that everyone is trying to make money and sign up forms are a way to keep in touch with potential customers. And your sign up form seems okay. I really hate the ones that pop up a few seconds after I have started reading on a page, then I have to delete it. If I have to sign up for something, even if it's free, just to get the info I want then I leave the page.

I have been around a lot longer than the internet. I remember how to find information I need without using the internet and even though I love the internet and the convenience I can live without it. I imagine the people growing up using computers and the internet would be lost without it and don't find it an inconvenience at all. I'm sure I'm in the minority but sometimes I think the internet has complicate life, not made it easier.

Harold Mansfield
09-18-2013, 01:39 PM
If it's a sign in situation you are talking about having the fields available in a designated area is nice, but as long as people can find it easily and the experience is consistent I don't think it matters. I've seen both ways work just fine.

DisQ
09-21-2013, 08:41 PM
Thanks everyone for the responses.
I will keep it as it is.

Now lets go eat those waffles. ;)