PDA

View Full Version : Site Suggestions.

billbenson
08-09-2008, 01:55 PM
I thought it might be appropriate to start a site suggestions thread. Steve + Steve, you may prefer to have suggestions privately PM'd in which case delete this thread. We also know that you are busy getting the basics of this site working, so this is only a "suggestions" as you have time thread.

My suggestion:

Most of the people on this and the old forum are business people, but not web professionals. Most people here also need or have a web site. Expanding the web section could attract more web professionals here.

I don't really know whats appropriate, perhaps a basic web design section. If there was someone here who knew a cms pretty well a cms or ecommerce section. Not really sure, just throwing out ideas??

Hmm, didn't notice that there was a suggestions section.... Might want to move this thread there??

KristineS
08-09-2008, 02:11 PM
I was just going to leave a post telling you that we had a section for this, when I saw your last line.

I did go ahead and move the thread.

vangogh
08-09-2008, 03:47 PM
Bill I'd like to eventually expand that section as well. It's where I'll naturally be posting more and it's easy for me to see all the different categories we could have. I think for the moment we just want to leave it a little smaller so the place fills up and then based on the topics that are coming up the most expand the sections.

On of the things I was thinking was to start a section with coding questions. I know some people won't want to edit their site files, but I thought it could be a helpful section for the people that do want to work on their own sites.

I think I'm also going to try to add something different to the website reviews section, where instead of asking for a review we can pick a site we like the design and talk about what we do and don't like about it.

billbenson
08-09-2008, 04:34 PM
I've never seen that and I think its a great idea. Reverse engineering sites that rank well is something that I regularly do. A section doing that would be very educational and unique. It could also give the option of reverse engineering a homestead site vs a real website which might give a lot of visitors here a good way of evaluating their options.

A scam section might also be unique and helpful

I think I'm also going to try to add something different to the website reviews section, where instead of asking for a review we can pick a site we like the design and talk about what we do and don't like about it.

vangogh
08-09-2008, 05:46 PM
Last night I looked in the section and noticed I was the only one posting a review about my new design, which isn't that new anymore.

I figured most of us have long ago asked for reviews and the section doesn't really say you have to ask for a review for your site so why not review sites you like or don't like. It could be a good way for designers here to share some knowledge and for non-designs to share what they do and don't like.

Everyone wins.