PDA

View Full Version : Requesting you review my site.

DisQ
09-13-2013, 01:24 PM
Hello everyone,

I would greatly appreciate it if you could take a look at my website.
I have only 3 questions:

1) Do you like the design (what is good and what is not good)?
2) Do you understand what I offer?
3) Does everything work properly (please make an account, it's free)?

dotterde.com (http://www.dotterde.com)

Thanks in advance.

WebEminence
09-14-2013, 12:38 PM
For the design, the background image was extremely slow to load.

I understand the site has something to do with price comparison and it looks like you just enter the information yourself. I'm not sure many people would be too excited about paying for cells where they have to input he price themselves. How does this differ from just opening a spreadsheet?

DisQ
09-14-2013, 02:43 PM
Ah, I need some more explaination then.
It is absoluty not just a simple spreadsheet.

I have changed the text on the first page. Please look again and see if this explains it better. :)

The slow loading is strange. I have no problems with that at all.
Anyone else have a problem with that?

DisQ
09-15-2013, 11:29 AM
I have taken a look at my background image. it is a 427kb png file. That should be loading slow. :)

Dan Furman
09-17-2013, 09:02 AM
While I "get" it on the surface, there's definitely not enough info to get me to sign up. For example, how does it work? And why do I need this? What benefit is there as opposed to me doing this myself? There's too little in the way of explaining things - you need a better "how it works" page, and could use a "benefits" page at the least. Perhaps a FAQ, too.

The jargon doesn't help. "Cells"?? That means... what, exactly? (I do know what it means, by the way, but using that word assumes way too much of your customer... "source code" too - you just alienated at least half your readership right there.)

Personally, I don't like being asked to "create an account" on every page. It creates mistrust in my mind - spammy "get rich" sites do that. I'm perfectly fine with a "get started" link.

I do like the idea in general, and I like the homepage (and the apple/orange picture - nice thought)

DisQ
09-17-2013, 12:14 PM
Thanks Dan, those are helpful comments.
I have made some quick fixes but will do a more extensive update soon.

I did not expect that the signup menu on the right could be percieved as spammy.
I hate it when I can not quickly sign up for a website (or press buttons to get to the signup screen). Maybe this is a personal thing of me and not something the general public finds annoying.

Thanks for the feedback, It will help to improve my site.

Dan Furman
09-17-2013, 02:00 PM
Thanks Dan, those are helpful comments.
I have made some quick fixes but will do a more extensive update soon.

I did not expect that the signup menu on the right could be percieved as spammy.
I hate it when I can not quickly sign up for a website (or press buttons to get to the signup screen). Maybe this is a personal thing of me and not something the general public finds annoying.

Thanks for the feedback, It will help to improve my site.

Yup - improvement is the goal :)

Personally, I like a "get started" link (or "get a quote", if it's that type of business) over the "contact form" on every page. I've tested both, and, at least in my results, the "page" wins over the "form everywhere".

To put it another way, the contact form everywhere reminds me of a salesperson hovering over me as I shop. The "form everywhere" *can* be more effective for a very general site where they want anyone and everyone to sign up.

DisQ
09-17-2013, 04:43 PM
This calls for more opinions doesn't it? :D

Can we make a poll?

TriMediaDesigns
09-18-2013, 02:48 PM
Hello DisQ - I landed on your website and I had no clue as to what service you are offering. In the first few second I land on your page I should know exactly what your service is about.
I would recommend adding a headline using the font size your using on your logo and make your actual logo much smaller and to the left corner if possible.

The header should tell me what problem your service is solving. Don't just say "Comparing everything with everything".

Your bullet points - Keep the text one size and if you want to make an important point stand out make it bold!

Your "Create an Account" area should be the loudest part of your website... Since your end result is getting your visitors to actually create an account.

DisQ
09-18-2013, 03:39 PM
I am working on some redesigning.
Will try to implement your advice.

I have been getting advice in several places and some of it is contradictory.
For example, you tell me to make the signup part more flashy while someone else has told me it is annoying that is shown on every page and feels like a salesperson hovering over you.

So, I will implement some of your advice but not all. :)

Thanks for the response it has been very helpful.

TriMediaDesigns
09-18-2013, 04:11 PM
I am working on some redesigning.
Will try to implement your advice.

I have been getting advice in several places and some of it is contradictory.
For example, you tell me to make the signup part more flashy while someone else has told me it is annoying that is shown on every page and feels like a salesperson hovering over you.

So, I will implement some of your advice but not all. :)

Thanks for the response it has been very helpful.

No problem!

Let me ask you a question... What do you want your visitors to do when they get to your site?

If your answer is "Signup" then Yes you would want to make your signup form apparent.
But your visitors also need a reason to signup, some kind of benefit...

Hope this helps!

jamesray50
09-18-2013, 04:50 PM
I like the website design. I really like the apples and oranges logo. I don't understand the name. Maybe I am reading it wrong?

DisQ
09-19-2013, 12:59 AM
There is not much to undestand about the name. It's just funny.

Say it as you read it. Speak fast. :)

DisQ
09-21-2013, 12:58 PM
Ok, I have added a lot more exlainations on my website.
Please take a look and tell me what you think.

Keep track of competitors prices. (http://www.dotterde.com)

mattchambers
09-21-2013, 05:01 PM
The design, is old and this can drive away visitors

people say it's loading slow for them

try activating gzip on the site it should help and if people still complain about it...think about investing some time and money in CDN networks

DisQ
09-21-2013, 05:36 PM
What is old about it?

Gabe
09-30-2013, 12:25 AM
If you're really set on doing it yourself, consider using a CMS like WordPress and get a theme from StudioPress.com or Themeforest.net. That'll be a decent start for you and it'll look a lot more professional. These days people expect to see a good looking website since expectations are so much higher than they used to be. If you have a great product, your website is hurting your sales.

Look at some other sites in your industry and imitate their sales copy until you develop your own style. You need to learn how to sell your product, then you can focus on your own voice/identity.

Stephen
09-30-2013, 01:41 AM
The design, is old and this can drive away visitors

people say it's loading slow for them

try activating gzip on the site it should help and if people still complain about it...think about investing some time and money in CDN networks

Hi,

Had a look at your website and I agree with the comment above. The design looks quite 'old' and probably a bit too condensed. Look at websites like www.heroku.com (http://www.heroku.com) or www.tweetreach.com (http://www.tweetreach.com) and if you target is B2B something like www.maestrano.com (http://www.maestrano.com). 3 different types of products, but always the same kind of easy and clear design. Sorry, I'm not an expert, so I'm struggling to find correct words to describe it. It's more a general feeling thing.

As for your call for action, it's not quite clear. I've read that you propose 16 cells for free. That should be highlighted in the front page of your site, to encourage visitors to try your service as free is supposed to also be "risk-free".

Also you have a "free to use" stamp on the bottom right of your page. But I entered 45 cells juste to see and it says $2.89/month. OK it's very reasonable, but it's not free. You may want to be careful with misleading messages as this can generate a bad reputation for your site, which I'm sure would be very unfair and unjustified.

All in all, I would:
1 - streamline your design. Just leave the essentials. Get rid of the rest.
2 - Clarify your value proposition and your call for action: Why should I use your service? Where do I start in less than 5 seconds.
3 - Highlight better your free trial.

Hope this helps.
Good luck!

OlegLola
09-30-2013, 06:51 AM
Hi! I guess that the overall idea of your service is interesting. But it's implementation could be better. Guess that the design is not so attractive and a little bit simple.