PDA

View Full Version : sitemeter

greenoak
02-02-2009, 05:38 AM
i love my sitemeter of course, for all the info it gives me....but i was just on another blog and realized i could see their info by clicking on her sitemeter button.....
.can i assume anyone could see my info from clicking on my sitemeter button? .i dont really want this ...but if i take my button off , then where would i get my info?
i assume they can since i can see mine from wherever my laptop is plugged into...
ann

orion_joel
02-02-2009, 07:41 PM
I think that you will find that sitemeter may be a public site, and shows the information to anyone that cares to look. The main thing that you need to consider are.
- does their policy require the button to be displayed.
- when you put the button on your site does it have any other code with it that is what gets the information.

Sitemeter needs to get the information somehow this is usually with a few lines of code, or a link to a javascript file. This is the same way that Google Analytics does it, however it seems that sitemeter shows the button where Google will just give you the code and access to your stats, when you log in.

the goat
02-02-2009, 08:14 PM
I use statcounter (much better than sitemeter in my opinion, but I digress) and they have an option where you can hide the logo and link. So really I don't know the answer to your question, I just wanted to give statcounter a shameless plug.

Business Attorney
02-02-2009, 08:31 PM
Ann, I can see all your stats. According to the Site Meter knowledge base:

When you create a Site Meter account you have the option of setting your statistics privacy to Normal, Medium, or High. The privacy level is set from the Manager section under the “Privacy Level” link. The default setting is Normal.

You probably want to change your setting to MEDIUM or HIGH.

greenoak
02-02-2009, 10:25 PM
i have statcounter for our site, but not the blog...guess i could do that.....
thanks david...i read that but didnt see where i would then get the info....
maybe i will switch....very few have ever looked at it anyway..and who would care......but its kind of wierd....
ann
magpie cottage (http://www.magpiecottage.blogspot.com)

billbenson
02-04-2009, 01:01 AM
Ann, I'm not familiar with Site Meter, but be careful about your "who would care" comment. I habitually reverse engineer my competitions web sites looking for a competitive advantage. There are also hackers out there looking for whatever. Be careful with security!

customtollfree
03-27-2009, 04:42 PM
I for one would still and only use Google analytics for comprehensive data gathering and analyzing. What advantages does site meter has over google analytics?

Marcomguy
03-29-2009, 05:27 PM
I use Google Analytics and Statcounter, so let me give statcounter another shameless plug like the goat's. :D

I'm happy with Google analytics, except for one thing that drives me batty. It tells the city that the visitor came from, but not the state.

When the city is Houston or Ottawa, there's no problem. But when it's Westwood or Fairfield, I want to know the state.

Statcounter tells you the state.