PDA

View Full Version : Twitter Thoughts.

orion_joel
02-01-2009, 11:17 PM
I have been using Twitter now for about a month or so now, and am finding that it can be quite a useful tool not just for letting people know what you are doing but also for finding some good stuff that is going on.

What my questions is, does anyone think it could be useful to have multiple twitter profiles, for each of your websites, where you individually announce for example each time a new post is put up and such. I have seen some cases like this where some people with online comics, or such will create twitter profiles for each of their characters, and create conversations between them and the followers.

One of the primary reasons was that i thought you may be able to create larger following networks if they knew they were only going to get updates about the one site, rather then a whole heap of other stuff they dont want to know about as well. Anyway thoughts anyone?

rezzy
02-01-2009, 11:36 PM
Joel, I considered the same thing. Right now I have an account I use specifically for my business, but as I use Twitter more, I see it is as networking tool. So, I am moving in two fronts and thought about seperating them.

Most of the people that are following me now via Twitter, wont bring (at least I dont think so) any business leads, as they have similar skill sets. This made me consider spinning off that account having one to focus business the other on personal.

What happens when the two intersect? I think this method leaves a gray space, where you may miss an opportunity by keeping them separate. So, I am going to make the accounts and hold them, while I think this over. Its better to have it and never use then need it and cant get it.

orion_joel
02-02-2009, 12:28 AM
My Thought was why not have an account for say each blog, as i have three that i update once or twice a week, it is hard to keep the one account focused. Where if i had an account for each site, i would be updating each one with purely relevant content. Not content that may slightly overlap.

For the most part i use twitter at the moment to promote my blogs may reply a little to people i am following and such, but still not really sure.

vangogh
02-02-2009, 01:15 AM
I'm sure there are plenty of people who have separate accounts for personal use and business use. I wouldn't say there's anything wrong with having multiple accounts for each site or blog, but I'd be careful that people don't see you as trying to game the system. I can see where people would see that as you being more interested in promoting business than being part of the community.

You mention the value of Twitter in the networking. People don't network with sites. The network with the people behind them. My guess is you'll build better relationships being you than you will being a site.

I don't think people would be turned off by you posting about multiple topics. I think it just makes your more diverse and interesting. I don't subscribe to anyone because of how focused their account is. I subscribe to get to know the people.

rezzy
02-02-2009, 08:34 AM
I think it just makes your more diverse and interesting. I don't subscribe to anyone because of how focused their account is. I subscribe to get to know the people.

I think thats a good point to make. You dont want to make it seem like a marketing machine. People can watch commercials on tv.

vangogh
02-02-2009, 10:46 AM
Yeah, too many accounts just makes you look like it's all about marketing. And think about it. Unless you have a large community that exists around your site, why would someone subscribe to the Twitter account. People will be much more likely to follow a real person.

KristineS
02-02-2009, 12:46 PM
I've been considering this because I have so many irons in the fire right now. I currently have a Twitter account for one of our companies. It is for a very specific industry. I'm also considering setting up a Twitter feed for an organization that I run, again for a very specific segment of the population. Then I have a Twitter feed (currently quite inactive) for me, that I will hopefully use to publicize the personal blogs. I may also add a second corporate Twitter feed for another of our companies with a very different audience.

While I can see how multiple accounts could look spammy, I'm not sure how to combine all the different accounts together. The audiences are so different that there isn't a lot of common ground.

rezzy
02-02-2009, 02:41 PM
Well just because there isnt a common ground among the topics, doesnt mean people arent interested in learning about the other side. Its also not about marketing each blog, its a chance for people to connect with on a more personal level.

I think the blog posts are an extension of your work. For instance, I follow vangogh on twitter, he has conversations with other people about something. I go to his page and find out more, then i see who he was talking to. I find out about that person and follow them.

I dont think its safe assume people arent interested in the other topic, because just like they interest you, someone else could have the same following.

By using an account for business has its perks but I use twitter get insight and information from the person, if i was blog posts, I'll join the RSS. I think its about the personal connection you can make with someone.

Thats not to say, you cant use Twitter to broadcast Twitter posts. For instance, one person I followed used twitter simply to broadcast the news. This was a bad idea and I quickly left her. I couldnt talk to her, and vice versa, say simply shouting her articles at me.

vangogh
02-02-2009, 05:29 PM
Bryan one thing you can do if you want more followers is send out an @vangogh. I'll reply which means all my followers will see the reply along with a link to your profile through the @.

It's an easy way to pick up some followers. @ people with more followers than you.

rezzy
02-02-2009, 05:49 PM
Bryan one thing you can do if you want more followers is send out an @vangogh. I'll reply which means all my followers will see the reply along with a link to your profile through the @.

It's an easy way to pick up some followers. @ people with more followers than you.

That's to extent what I have been doing with other people, I'll send an @ at you today.

vangogh
02-02-2009, 08:14 PM
Now I have to open TweetDeck to look for it. :)

orion_joel
02-02-2009, 10:45 PM
Your other option is log into twitter itself, or you could set it up on your phone/pda/iphone or you could probably find it any number of other ways as well.

I think what i would like to be able to do is to bring the site into a more personal light, where i might post about the latest post when it happens, but then also in between maybe make one or two or more posts about different relevant things, like just an example, for my no fixed office, it would be something like a tweet about the latest post, then i might tweet once or twice about where i am working from that day, or what i am working on from where, like " working on new website from the coffee shop, having no office is great"

Not sure if this is a good idea or not, but i just think that it may make what i am doing with the site seem a little more human and connect a little better with the audience.

vangogh
02-03-2009, 01:25 AM
The problem with going to the site is that I'm always working in a browser. If In order to pay attention to Twitter it means I can't work. If I have a an application like TweetDeck running I can glance over to the side when I want and still be working. As for the phone if I'm working I'm not checking the phone. That'll work when I'm out, but when I'm here working I'm not surfing on the phone.

orion_joel
02-03-2009, 08:11 PM
Hmmm, oh well, i find the same sort of, but at this point i am just twittering in my browser. Have not thought to look any further at this point.

vangogh
02-04-2009, 12:40 AM
The desktop clients really do make it easier to use Twitter. They also have some features you won't find at the site. I like TweetDeck right now and before that I was using Twhirl. Download one and give it a try and see what you think.

rezzy
02-04-2009, 10:20 AM
I tried using some of the Firefox plugins and found them to get in the way. I have a smaller screen and it doesnt look nice.

vangogh
02-04-2009, 10:34 AM
I didn't like the Firefox plugins for Twitter either. I used one for a couple of days and then moved onto the desktop clients.

rezzy
02-04-2009, 02:15 PM
But most of everyday work is in Linux and the install looks to be unsupported for one. I will have to try out the other in time.

orion_joel
02-04-2009, 11:18 PM
Will have to do this sometime soon, just the time factor is not in my favor at the moment, work and getting other things that i want to do done is getting in the way of trying new things.

vangogh
02-05-2009, 10:19 AM
Bryan I would think there are some clients out there for Linux, though I couldn't say for sure.

rezzy
02-05-2009, 12:04 PM
Bryan I would think there are some clients out there for Linux, though I couldn't say for sure.

Yes there are a few. I have tried some of them.