PDA

View Full Version : Please review Just H Design

Just H
02-01-2009, 01:30 PM
Hi all! Hope you're having a nice lazy Sunday and getting ready for SuperBowl! I have finally got my new site up and would like some thoughts and opinions. There's a few areas I definitely want to revise a little but the main functionality is there. I know it's the big game day, so if you have a chance to look through it this week, any responses would be helpful.

Here's the site: Just H Design (http://justhdesign.com)

Thanks in advance!

rezzy
02-01-2009, 02:40 PM
Looks good. Overall, there a few things, there a few loose ends to me. One thing that I see, is the "just h design" looks hand done against everything looking more tight.

It looks like a well thought out site!

nealrm
02-01-2009, 03:22 PM
The site look great and the download speed is good. I check the site under IE6, IE7, IE8 and FF. There are minor menu issues with both IE7 and IE8.

In IE7 the dropdown appear to the right of the menu item. It blocks out the remaining items on the nav bar. I'm also getting a warning of an error on the page.

In IE8 the dropdowns are not highlighting the items as you pass the cursor over them. Also, the example are not displaying. The screen fades black, but no sample is shown.

Two suggestions:

1) place a captha test on the contact page. This will help reduce some of the spam when the robots find that page.
2) The site appears to be set up for a 1024 width screen size. Screen sizes are quickly move to larger and larger sizes. You may think about allow in the content area to expand for larger screens.

Just H
02-01-2009, 03:30 PM
Thanks Rezzy - that really helps since that's totally the look I was going for. I did put the yin-yang, moving back and forth from mountains to ocean in the content and logo so was hoping I could get it across in the overall look as well as I feel it best represents me.

NealRM - thanks for the good points. I am aware of the IE issue with the drop-downs and am still needing to get that fixed as I'm a Firefox user. Thanks for finding that and your other comments!

Added - hey Neal, got your test email - thanks!

KristineS
02-01-2009, 04:15 PM
I like it. The design is nice and clean and I like the color choices. One thing I would question is why the name of the company is behind the menu bar. I get that you need to read the menu, but then it is a bit hard to read the name.

The copy flows pretty well. You could sell yourself a little harder. The copy on the home page feels a little tentative, like you're inviting people to "look around if you want" and you're not quite convinced that they'll find what they need.

Also, on your small business services page, I think you meant to say common "theme" rather than common "thing". That's in the last sentence.

On the Brochure Design page, I'm not sure About.com is the marketing expert I'd be quoting. I think you could get away with just discussing the five types of brochures, or I'd try to find another source for the information that seems a bit more credible. Anyone can look information up on About.com, you're supposed to have expertise and information that the average business owner doesn't have.

You might take your general info section and turn it into a FAQ page or a Policies page. That's the sort of information people want to know before they'd make a decision to work with you and right now it's sort of hidden in the middle of your list of services. You might want to make it easier to find.

Sorry if I've been a bit nitpicky, overall I think you have a nice site. I just know that sometimes it helps to have someone look at it who hasn't seen it a ton of times before.

Just H
02-01-2009, 04:24 PM
Great finds and points Kristine, thanks for taking the time to go through! The FAQ page is also a great idea.

thx4yrtym
02-01-2009, 04:42 PM
Agree with most everything said so far.

Really more impressed with your portfolio. I would like an easier way to see the portfolio, maybe a way to feature it more prominently. Don't have a clue what that would be, just know I liked your portfolio better than the site itself. a suggestion might be to take a look at moving the horizontal menu up to the green area on top , that would be one way of giving more more to your company name, without ruining the feel that you are after.

Regards and best of luck,

Gregg

Just H
02-01-2009, 04:47 PM
Thanks Gregg, that is an area I'd like to present better and am trying to figure out the best way to do that. Thanks!

Just H
02-02-2009, 12:02 PM
Ok, I have fixed the wrong word on the Small Marketing Design page and re-wrote the Brochure Design page - thanks Kristine! Still have some other issues to address and thanks so much for all the help so far. Any other comments/suggestions welcome.