PDA

View Full Version : Creating and Managing Charity Events

PolygonalPixel1
09-03-2013, 09:48 AM
Hello, I am a high school student, currently enrolled in a business class that deals with the standard principles of business. We were tasked with creating a project that related to collecting funds from volunteers, and directing our gathered funds for a charitable cause. My partner and I decided to create a small non-profit organization that would be gathering money for those who are suffering from the effects of depression. We are asking for some feedback regarding our organization and our ideas. We plan to create and manage public charity events. Our idea for these events involves producing and distributing baked goods during the pre and post-school hours. Are there any difficulties with this idea that we should be informed about? Can you disclose any possible advice for the future? My partner and I would truly appreciate feedback for our idea.

Patrysha
09-03-2013, 11:45 AM
The process for creating a non-profit organization is very involved and time consuming. It may take more time than you have available in the school year to just get the paperwork processed and filed (plus the costs of doing so!). You may want to consider working with an existing organization to raise funds for. Bake sales are usually okay in schools, though some school districts are bringing a halt to those due to allergy and food contamination issues. Plus bake sales are usually a low-level fundraiser (a lot of work for not a whole lot of cash) plus if you're being graded on creativity it wouldn't register very high on that scale.