PDA

View Full Version : Return Shipping Costs - Legal Obligations

PaloAltoMark
08-30-2013, 02:24 PM
A customer ordered a product from us yesterday. We accepted the transaction and sent instructions to our warehouse to fulfill the product. This morning at 5:30 AM our time, the customer sent us an email to cancel the order. We did not see this email until 11 AM and by that time the order had already shipped.

Our policy to to provide customers with a product refund if they return the items to us. We are happy to do so in this case. However, I'm concerned that the customer is going to balk about paying for the shipping because they are going to claim they "cancelled the order." In reality there wasn't sufficient time for us to stop the shipment. Are we under any obligation to pay for the return shipping in this case?

Freelancier
08-30-2013, 04:23 PM
What are your terms of purchase? You have one of those documents that customers agree to before purchase that outlines cancellation and return policy, yes?

Harold Mansfield
08-30-2013, 06:00 PM
If they told you before it shipped and it was YOUR FAULT that you didn't see the email, then you need to make it right. However, the product is already on the way so I wouldn't issue a refund now. If they return it, even if you have to pay for postage, and it's returned unopened then I'd issue the refund.

billbenson
08-30-2013, 07:04 PM
I have a high restocking fee. I rarely use it because I'd rather have a happy customer. But it is there for this kind of situation.

shipwithchris
01-09-2015, 01:51 PM
Contact the customer and see if anything can be sacrificed. I know this is an old thread but I would find out why the order was cancelled and determine if there is a recovery.