PDA

View Full Version : Now this feels right...

DiscoStu
01-30-2009, 11:05 PM
First and foremost...Hello everyone. After taking a 12 month leave of absence from the "other" forum, I finally decided to log back in only to find that I had entered the "Bizarro Small Business Forum". Wow, I felt like a stranger in a place where I had received such great advice before. Luckily I stumbled across a thread complaining about how that forum sucked and SteveB mentioned most folks had moved here. So without hesitation I registered and VOILA...my first post.

I utilized the other forum while trying to figure out what to do in a family business situation I was faced with. I started the To buy or not to buy the family business... (http://www.small-business-forum.com/showthread.php?t=53254) thread and received some very sound advice. Unfortunately my mother was diagnosed with lung cancer early in 08 and everything pretty much took a back seat after that. Now that she is doing a good bit better, I have decided to re-engage myself with the forum. I look forward to becoming a member of this community.;)

rezzy
01-30-2009, 11:12 PM
Welcome DiscoStu. I am glad to hear your mother is doing well after her bout with cancer!

Quite a few of us have made the migration to the light at the end of the tunnel. There is a good bunch of people here, me included (at times ;)) that can help you with what ever.

Business Attorney
01-31-2009, 12:11 AM
DiscoStu, I remember all the discussions on the other forum and look forward to re-engaging with you.

vangogh
01-31-2009, 12:19 AM
DiscoStu has visited from the zoo. That sounds really good in my head with a Disco Stu voice. Maybe not so much for anyone reading. d'oh

Glad you found you're way out of bizarro world and into our world. Things have changed at the old forum. The new ownership doesn't seem interested in their forum, but their loss is out gain. You'll probably recognize many of the people here since we're essentially the same people you knew a year ago. Some new members of course.

Sorry to hear about your mom, though I'm glad to hear she's doing better. My family has had to deal with cancer a few times and it does force everything else into a back seat role.

Again I'm glad you found your way here and thanks for joining or rejoining the community.

Steve B
01-31-2009, 05:59 AM
I remember that thread. Welcome to the new forum.

I think we've surpassed the other forum by now in activity level - even compared to when the other was in its prime (except for maybe the time that there was a very long exchange with a guy that was pushing a particular MLM based vitamin product).

phanio
01-31-2009, 10:19 AM
Welcome - I was at the other forum for less than a week and really hated it - lots of spam and no advice. Felt impersonal. Luckily, I stumbled on the post directing me here. This is a great forum.

Glad to here that your Mother is doing better. Is she in remission or cured? Can you tell us a little more about what you want situation you faced and what happened over the last year - and, what you plan to do now? Good advice here.

cbscreative
01-31-2009, 04:21 PM
(except for maybe the time that there was a very long exchange with a guy that was pushing a particular MLM based vitamin product).

LOL, I remember that discussion very well. That may have been the most lively thread they ever had.

Stu, I glad you found out where all the people who made the old forum great have moved to, and I'm glad your mother is doing better. I'm sure you will reintegrate very well here. Welcome back.

DiscoStu
01-31-2009, 04:23 PM
Thanks everyone for the well wishes for my mom. IMHO she'll never be "cured" because the treatment for the cancer has weakened her lungs even more so than before (COPD sufferer). I tell you if the disease doesn't make you feel sick, the treatment sure will. Complications from chemo and radiation nearly killed her, but I'm just glad she's still here and I can visit her every week.:)

I'll start a thread in a little bit sort of summarizing what's happened, or actually hasn't happened, in the past year concerning where I am in the family business.

vangogh
01-31-2009, 04:54 PM
I've seen cancer run through a few members of my family with all sorts of different results. My stepfather passed away a few years ago, but he kept beating it for a long time. He lived into his 80s after first being diagnosed in his 60s.

I did see how the chemo and radiation sapped his strength. I know it kept him alive, but it was still hard to see how the treatments affected him.

orion_joel
01-31-2009, 06:31 PM
Welcome along Disco Stu, good to see that some of those useful threads that direct people here still floating around.

KristineS
02-01-2009, 04:23 PM
Welcome DiscoStu. Cancer sucks. That's all I have to say about that.

It's lovely to see another refugee from the other forum. I was Gunslingergirl over there, but I switched to my real name when Vangogh started things up over here and invited me to join in. It's fun to see the forum keep growing and to learn from all the great knowledge that's being shared here.