PDA

View Full Version : Why does awareness marketing work?

Laura Chittenden
08-29-2013, 12:31 PM
As I read more about marketing, I've begun to question why awareness marketing works. Why does merely knowing about a product or service increase the chances a person will buy it? Is it not more likely the person will buy or not buy based on what others have said about the product and any previous experiences the person has had with the product or service? Since marketing cannot control what the person experiences with the product or service, why do awareness messages work?

For example, Nike commercials simply say "we exist" and "Nike is the choice for athletic people." But if you as a customer don't agree with that message (perhaps you've tried their shoes and you didn't get stronger legs from the specially designed walking shoe), how is simply saying "Nike exists as the choice for athletic people" going to sway you to think positively of their company?

Thanks for any thoughts.

KristineS
08-29-2013, 12:40 PM
My guess would be that a lot of it is about who comes to mind when you're considering making a purchase. You also have to keep in mind that awareness marketing is also aspirational marketing as well a great deal of the time. Everyone knows Nike, but Nike has also positioned itself through it's marketing message as a brand that is desirable and for those who are tough and ready to take on the world. People buy into those ideas and want to be a part of them. The more you see those messages the more they are imprinted on your brain and the more you start to identify with them, or not, depending on your particular world view.

A lot of businesses talk about staying top of mind, and I think that's really what awareness marketing is really aiming to achieve. When you think of an athletic shoe, Nike wants you to think of them. When you think about phone service, Verizon is hoping they'll spring to mind. That's why they blanket all their marketing channels with the same messages. The goal is to saturate your mind with these ideas and images so when you are ready to purchase that particular company is the one that springs to mind.

Paul
08-29-2013, 07:04 PM
Its similar to choosing a brand over a generic product in the supermarket. Given the same price would you buy Kellogs or BoBo's corn flakes.
Awareness is a sense of confidence in the brand. Hey, I heard of Kellogs but who the heck is BoBo?

Patrysha
08-29-2013, 10:52 PM
There are a few theories working when it comes to awareness marketing.

One is based on the "fact" that it takes a consumer an average of 7-9 touches to make a purchase decision. Not sure on the veracity of this fact or where it came from, but I know it's thrown around a lot. Especially when I was in radio sales, but also in copywriting, email marketing and network marketing.

Two...the theory of primacy - you can only really hold so much information in your head. Your more likely to remember things as they are repeated. Hence, you're more likely to remember the name of the brands that you are exposed to most.

Three...the theory of recency - you are most likely to remember things you heard (or saw) most recently. So brands want to be in that last group before you reach a buying decision.

As a side note, how you react to an ad will depend on your prior experiences with the brand. The marketing message will be perceived differently by those who have had no experience with the brand from those who have positive experience with the brand and those who have had negative experiences with the brand. All the awareness advertising in the world won't change attitudes...that would take a different type of campaign with a different messaging.

That's what I can remember about awareness campaign advertising.

DisQ
09-11-2013, 01:55 PM
Isn't it as simple as this:

Knowing something exists gives you a choice to buy or not to buy.
Not knowing something exists will ensure that you don't buy (or at the very least, you don't go looking for it).

marrick
12-22-2013, 06:49 AM
Awareness marketing I think is another form of outbound marketing where you tell people that your product/services exists. Awareness helps consumers to decide whether they will buy a certain product or not.

Awareness has lots of different approach. Just like you example, nike made an awareness campaign of their product for "athletes". That is more of a targeted awareness marketing because they target a specific set of people.

It works depending on the approach and the nature of a business.

Richt
12-22-2013, 08:01 AM
Awareness marketing has everything to do with the Subconscious mind not the rational thought process, now I'm not going Hippie on this one. The truth is if a commercial is played over and over again you will experience it in different ways each time, you may be actually watching it straight on the first time, talking to someone the second time while it's playing in the background, this is perfect for the advertiser BECAUSE your conscious mind is doing a task.. speaking to someone or whatever else, which leaves your subconscious mind open to absorb the message without you realizing it. When this is done repeatedly through visual / audio mediums such as TV this is a powerful marketing tool, When the same message is backed up in Radio, Print, Video, online ads, Social Media, youtube, News shows, sports figures wearing the product etc. A good portion of the public will start to identify with the brand. They will buy it without really knowing why (it's because their subconscious mind is more easily trainable and open to suggestion). The biggest problem with a Branding or Awareness Marketing Campaigns is you need to cross market through various platforms and be repetitive which can become extremely expensive.

For Small businesses the object is to brand your business using every way possible without it costing you a fortune. Stay in front of your existing customers using email, facebook, direct mail, your website etc.

One thing I've done with a local pizzeria is Awareness outbound automated phone marketing combined with direct response. We call everyone in a 3 mile radius of the shop every Tuesday and Thursday with a 30 second phone commercial with a few killer specials and prompting them to press one to place an order or go to the website to see the rest of this weeks specials or press two to not receive any more calls. This strategy works for this business $150 wk brings back 2-3 thousand in sales. We are also seeing new customers trying them out every week that have finally decided to give it a shot, this is awareness marketing at an affordable level for anyone, with a Direct response Kicker. Combining this technique with a website with an interactive menu, Video, 4 Color postcards, signage, coupon mailers, becomes a small budget, high return Awareness campaign with the ability to generate Direct Response Business which is immediate revenue and pays for the Advertising and marketing and creates profits.

Remember peoples Minds Change, it's human nature.... whether you can mount a large campaign or a small campaign doesn't matter what matters is being out there all the time and growing your customer base, when you stop marketing you might as well close your Doors or the competitor who wants your spot will close the for you. Sorry to be so Blunt
I Hope this helps some of us out, remember you always need to work on your Business, not in your Business to be successful. Even if it means dedicating an hour a day to thinking about the Business and where you want to take it. Then doing the tasks in the business,

<please set up a forum signature through Settings>

Sean_DeSilva
01-27-2014, 03:46 PM
As people we are always looking for trust signals. By spending money on advertising to show your brand, it is implied that you were a big player with a big reputation at stake. Spending the money itself shows that you care about your brand. More fundamentally, if you don't get your name out, direct sales are impossible since nobody knows where to look for you.