PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Expeditions In the Floridian Everglades

Spartyboy
08-29-2013, 10:16 AM
We are starting a hunting expedition business in the Florida everglades to hunt Burmese python. Since hunting them is always in season because they are invasive, they can be killed/captured whenever. also, we are not aware of any other companies like this that exist. anybody see any problems we should address?

Patrysha
08-29-2013, 11:00 AM
How many people actually want to go hunting for snakes? They don't really have trophy value like some of the other types of hunting out there...

Freelancier
08-29-2013, 12:26 PM
First stop: liability insurance and incorporate to limit your personal liability.

Second stop: an attorney to create a contract (between you and your clients) and help you organize yourselves so that you limit your liability further (coming up with a set of standardized rules for hunting behavior).

Third stop: how is anyone going to know you exist? Work the hotels, cruise ships, etc. to get on their list of recommended activities for guests who like things a little more "dangerous" (pythons are nocturnal, so they aren't exactly interested in attacking during the heat of the day when your guests will most often want to hunt them).

Yes, there will be some people who want to do this, but I wouldn't quit my day job to start this business.

KristineS
08-29-2013, 12:43 PM
First question I would ask, how big is the market for this? Second question, how do you get in front of the people who might want to go hunting python?

This isn't exactly a mainstream hunting excursion like deer hunting - so you'll have to be clever in finding your target market and connecting with them. Simply putting up a sign or a website isn't going to do it. You'll have to actively seek out your prospective customers and convince them they want to participate in a hunt. It's going to take a lot of marketing work. I'm not saying it can't be done, just be aware you're going to have to build your own market.

Steve B
08-29-2013, 01:36 PM
It sounds really cool to me. Do people eat them?

Freelancier
08-29-2013, 01:52 PM
Do people eat them?

People eat bugs. Yuck and p-tooie.

But maybe you shouldn't eat the Florida version of the Burmese Python (http://www.livescience.com/8528-mercury-invasive-pythons-menu.html).

Paul
08-29-2013, 06:57 PM
I'm not a hunter BUT I think it will be easy to attract hunters who would like to do that. there are hunters all over the US that pay alot of money for special hunting and fishing trips. This might be a cool thing for them.

Should be easy to get to that market with traditional ads in hunter and outdoor magazines and any internet hunter sites.'m sure there are hunter and fishing mailing lists also. There's probably a few hunter forums similar to this format somewhere on the web.

Pythons may be the new bear rug!! Can make boots out of them.

Not sure what python and alligator insurance will cost.

Patrysha
08-29-2013, 11:05 PM
I'm not a hunter, but I have worked with an outfitter/guide client and also a B&B that caters to hunting clientele. (Different prey obviously!!) While it might be an easy market if you have enough $$$ for traditional mags - it's not typically cost effective for a small operation, you'd have to be charging a huge whack of cash for the ROI to work with the rate those magazines charge. I'd guess that it would take a good five years to ramp up with a new market and a modest budget.

billbenson
08-30-2013, 12:04 AM
Florida is encourging python hunting right now. I think they are even offering a bounty on it. If you have a hunting facility, you may be able to get some advertising on the states website??

There was a post this week by someone who had developed a slingshot type of device that shot arrows. He was targeting the Florida snake hunting market. You might want to get together with him. Me, I'd use a 12 gauge.

Patrysha
08-30-2013, 12:52 AM
I think that post was also posted by the OP Bill...

Me I'll use staying the heck out of Florida as my plan!!

Spartyboy
09-03-2013, 09:57 AM
For all responses, thank you very much. We are trying to talk to the state on getting an add and some more compensation for each snake (rate is about $3 per foot, grow from 13-18 feet). you cant eat them, but since they are an invasive species, it may be a thing that people not just to kill a creature, but to help save a part of this delicate planet. any more input is very welcome.

billbenson
09-03-2013, 09:12 PM
I don't think to many people are going to think of the save the planet aspect of this, even if you are correct. I think you need to add multiple revenue streams into your business plan. Bow and arrow shooting lessons, Premiums for hitting a snake at a distance, boat tours, fishing, etc. Interesting idea, but I think you will have trouble making any money from it.

Paul
09-04-2013, 04:09 AM
I don't think to many people are going to think of the save the planet aspect of this, even if you are correct. I think you need to add multiple revenue streams into your business plan. Bow and arrow shooting lessons, Premiums for hitting a snake at a distance, boat tours, fishing, etc. Interesting idea, but I think you will have trouble making any money from it.

Yeah, I think the environmental people are more likely to want to "save the snakes", poor liitle buggers.

On making money, I don't know, people pay to do crazy things and hunters like new things to hunt. Have you heard about the guys in Oklahoma that fish for giant catfish with their hands? They have contests. Guys have drowned doing it, They go underwater and put their hands in caves in the banks,the fish bites their hand and they pull them out.

These guys got a 80 lb one.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfPxzKAvMAQ

These guys will go! They'll wrestle the snakes and the gators.

Freelancier
09-04-2013, 07:16 AM
Yeah, I think the environmental people are more likely to want to "save the snakes", poor liitle buggers.

And you would be wrong thinking that. This is a non-indigenous snake that's killing off the food supply for other indigenous animals, like the Florida panther. They were accidentally introduced into the Glades with Hurricane Andrew and have screwed up the food chain for other animals. Environmentalists know that their numbers need to be limited or other species that have lived in Florida for hundreds of years (and are considered "protected") will get wiped out in a very short time. These snakes have no natural predators in Florida, so humans are stepping up to fill that role.

Spartyboy
09-04-2013, 09:47 AM
Thank you for being the only person that understands this.

PeanutBetter
09-04-2013, 09:56 AM
This is a great idea, i highly support this company.

Freelancier
09-04-2013, 10:40 AM
Thank you for being the only person that understands this.

I doubt I'm the only person. But I grew up there when 441 was just about the eastern edge of the Glades and I-95 stopped before the Dade-Broward border... and we used to fish the Everglades where Cooper City is now.

Freelancier
09-16-2013, 05:12 PM
Python Kills 60 lb Husky in Miami Neighborhood (http://www.local10.com/news/python-kills-siberian-husky-alert-issued/-/1717324/21891478/-/6eg344z/-/index.html)

Hunting expeditions sound good right about now....

billbenson
09-16-2013, 07:19 PM
I still say with a 12 gauge.

Brian Altenhofel
09-17-2013, 03:52 AM
A lot of the commercial hog hunts around here charge $X for the trip with an inclusion of up to one hog per hunter. Then, if a hunter wants to take more than one hog, it's $Y per additional hog. The commercial hunts around here do bait them from the surrounding areas, which is really a win-win for the organization and the neighbors. Neighbors get fewer issues with hogs destroying crops, and business gets more hogs for tourists and others who don't personally know farmers with hog problems.