PDA

View Full Version : Resources and Tips for New Bloggers

vangogh
01-30-2009, 12:08 AM
Darren Rowse just posted a list of links to posts within ProBlogger to help anyone get started blogging.

Here's a link to his post (http://www.problogger.net/archives/2009/01/30/starting-your-first-blog-29-tips-tutorials-and-resources-for-new-bloggers/)

The list is divided into the following sections:

1. Posts on Starting a Blog
2. Writing Blog Content
3. Blog Promotion/Finding Readers
4. Making Money from Blogs

It'll probably take you a few days to read all of the links, but if you do take the time I guarantee you'll be a better blogger. I spent a week reading through the posts on ProBlogger before I started blogging myself and it was time well spent.

Are you a new blogger or struggling with your blog? What problems are you having? What would you like to do better?

seolman
01-30-2009, 12:26 AM
Thanks Steve. I've bookmarked the page. I wish I had this before I started my blog :P

vangogh
01-30-2009, 01:08 AM
Just before I launched my blog I started searching for advice and quickly came across ProBlogger. This was a few years ago so there were less posts to read. I spend about a week reading Darren's content every night for a couple hours each night. He had a few series on getting started that should still be in there somewhere.

Not that I became an instant blogging sensation, but it really made a lot of things clearer to me about what it was I should be doing.

I've been a loyal reader ever since.

Most of the posts Darren links to in the post I linked to are ones I've read as they cross my feed reader. I recognize a lot of the titles. I really will offer the guarantee that if you're willing to spend a few nights reading all of the posts you'll be a much better blogger for it.

seolman
01-30-2009, 01:13 AM
I've already read a couple and I'm kicking myself for not finding this sooner. Thanks. Big help. Your a handy guy to have around despite the mutilated ear...

vangogh
01-30-2009, 02:02 AM
I would have thought you knew about ProBlogger. One of the best blogs about blogging you can find. Plus Darren Rowse has to be one of the nicest and most down to earth person you'll come across online.

seolman
01-30-2009, 10:04 PM
Nah...I haven't really been a blogger until recently. I'm a late blogging bloomer :)

orion_joel
01-30-2009, 10:16 PM
I will need to put this in a read very soon, category, however since i joined twitter i have been following Problogger, and reading many of the new posts as they come up and i must say there is some very good information whether new or old to blogging. I mean some of it if you have been blogging a while will probably be common sense or even well duh do you really need to say that.

But the thing is (and this is not just related to blogging) that the information out there for any topic, whether you know a lot on the topic or not, can often teach you something, be it remembering a little thing that you use to do, or be it something completely new to you. There is always something to learn, and if you are not learning you are not growing. Which actually comes back to the idea "If nothing changes, nothing changes" If you are not learning something new then you are not changing your circumstances.

seolman
01-30-2009, 10:32 PM
It's interesting the guy's from Melbourne OZ I used to live in a suburb of Melbourne called Blackburn many years ago. I'm sure it's been completely swallowed up by the city by now. Maybe I'll get to chat with him one day.

vangogh
01-30-2009, 11:14 PM
ProBlogger is perhaps the best source for learning how to blog. Joel have you seen Darren's new site TwitTips. All Twitter stuff. Good stuff there too.

Even the stuff that should be common sense is still good to read even if just for a reminder. Think about all the posts you read where you nod and say yeah that's a good idea and then never do anything to act on the advice. I know I do that so the reminders are still good.

Also you can see a little something different in the same advice when you come back to it with a different perspective.

greenoak
01-31-2009, 07:07 AM
thanks for the link....ann

phanio
01-31-2009, 10:28 AM
Does the problogger link still apply to those already blogging? Also, what is the deal with twitter? I remeber when it first came out - it was kind of a fad thing? Now I see it everywhere. What are its pros and cons for small business owners? Thanks

vangogh
01-31-2009, 11:50 AM
Joseph, ProBlogger is a great resource for anyone who blogs. It doesn't matter how long you've been at it, I guarantee you'll be able to learn something there.

The specific post I linked to above is one that links to a variety of other ProBlogger posts. The list is geared for beginners, but as a subscriber to ProBlogger I've read many long after I started blogging. I think no matter what level you can profit by reading them. If you do check out a few and find they're too beginnerish for your tastes just click around the site to see what's there. It's a great blog in general and will cover topics across skill levels.

Twitter is mainly a social network thing. You can think of it as instant messaging on steroids. People follow other twitterers and in so doing can read their tweets easily. As you tweet more people begin to follow you. It's like IM on steroids because there's always many conversations flowing through the system. You can participate when you want and sit back and ignore when you want to.

By following people in your industry, and engaging them in conversation you build a relationship with them. No different than offline networking other than the medium. Some companies will use the system to update customers that are following them. Some people use it as a news source. Many recent big news stories will break on Twitter before anything else. People post links to interesting content, they ask and answer questions, etc.

I won't say it's an imperative you join. I think some take to Twitter and some don't find it to be an effective form of communication for them. I tend to drop in and out a lot. I do use Twitter, but I'd be lying to you if I said I'm the most active twitterer.

The best way to see if it's for you is simply to join the service and follow a few people you know or want to know and just listen in on their tweets until you feel ready to start tweeting yourself. A few of us here are on Twitter and they have a pretty good search at the site to find people. If there are bloggers you read regularly, they likely have Twitter accounts, which you should be able to find on their sites.

Like I said I don't think it's mandatory to join, but it is rather popular and going mainstream. It won't be too long before our moms and grandfathers are talking about Twitter. People are there and it's worth checking out.

Also there are a lot of tools to make the system easier to use. I hardly ever go directly to site itself. I use desktop tools and Twitter through them.

seolman
01-31-2009, 12:42 PM
Vangogh got me started on Twitter and now I blame him for my addiction. I'm probably going to have to go through some sort of group therapy or something. I'm up to 43 followers now Steve. I can't let them down...the pressure is too much. I may have to get on some sort of heavy meds for this...:D

vangogh
01-31-2009, 05:02 PM
It can be addictive. When I first joined I was on it all day. I'm better now about staying away, but I'm probably staying away too much lately. Little by little I'm zeroing in on a good balance.

KristineS
02-02-2009, 01:28 PM
I still haven't caught the magic of Twitter. I use it, but I'm not addicted. Of course, I mostly use it for corporate stuff at the moment. Maybe if I used my personal account more I'd see the attraction.

vangogh
02-02-2009, 05:26 PM
It depends a lot on who you're following and who's following you.