PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever marketed an eBook?

PayForWords
08-16-2013, 07:59 PM
If so, how did you do it? How many copies have you sold in what amount of time?

I'd love to hear about everyone's experience with eBook writing here. Not so much writing it but...

What you did to sell it. Used your current site? Bought ads? What?

I'm in the process of writing one and would love some ideas.

My goal? Sell 1,000 copies within 1 year. What is YOUR goal?

Wozcreative
08-17-2013, 10:19 AM
I think this depends on the industry.

In my industry.. freelancing.. the best way to market the book is to create things like:

• Host webinars with tips and tricks (and then market the book at the end)
• Do talks in conferences
• Sponsor industry related events
• Partner up with someone else who's had a book out for awhile and may be similar and see if you can get them to promote that as well with a %
• You need to be well known in your industry to be able to sell the book.. why would I buy something from joe shmoe when I can get something from a well known guy on the same topic?
• Get some good reviews on Amazon. Books are sold better on there
• Testimonials + a great description of the book
• Have it PROFESSIONALLY printed. Don't do it yourself. Get a designer to typeset, pick the best stock, make it easy for shelves to stock it
• If you are going the mobile route, make sure it is intuitive, clean, and comes in a variety of formats for picky readers.

But mostly, I find you have to be known in a circle of people for a book to be successful and for people to want to read it. You, your expertise is really what will entice people to read it.

nexxterra
08-17-2013, 01:16 PM
Hey Pay, What topic do you want to base your book on? That changes your marketing quite a bit.
Woz has a lot of great suggestions. I have a few friends that have some very successful ebooks that I can forward their email if your topic is within what they fall, otherwise, I can refer you someone that has a few books on Amazon if you get stuck... As for me and books, I like to wait for the video!

PayForWords
08-17-2013, 07:06 PM
Hey Pay, What topic do you want to base your book on? That changes your marketing quite a bit.
Woz has a lot of great suggestions. I have a few friends that have some very successful ebooks that I can forward their email if your topic is within what they fall, otherwise, I can refer you someone that has a few books on Amazon if you get stuck... As for me and books, I like to wait for the video!

Sure thing. The title of the eBook is "How To Make Money Freelance Writing."

It basically teaches anyone (beginners or veterans) to do what I've done for the past few years...

Consistently make $500+ a week freelance writing.

Valid points from both of you though!

Harold Mansfield
08-17-2013, 08:25 PM
I have a book pretty much finished, but just decided recently that I don't have the infrastructure or anything new in the way of marketing it that I think would stand out and actually sell.
Took me a while to admit that, but something about self publishing it just wasn't going to make it good enough.

Exploring some different options to make money with the content.

Patrysha
08-18-2013, 01:56 AM
Do you have a ready market already? (an email list that you've been building)? Or are you starting to sell cold?

Do you network with any marketers who tap into the aspiring writer market?

In other words, what marketing assets do you currently have to get the sales moving?

What platform do you plan to release in? Kindle? PDF download from your site? A third party affiliate site like ClickBank? What's your price point that you expect to make 1000 in sales through...is that a first year figure or a build up to figure? How much are you wanting to put into marketing to make those thousand sales?

You've chosen a really, really tight market...so it's not going to be an easy task, especially if your book doesn't possess a unique or innovative approach. $500 a week doesn't stand up very well to titles like The Six Figure Freelancer and the Wealthy Writer. What's going to make your book different from the hundreds of free reports available on the topic that others are offering?

Patrysha
08-18-2013, 01:59 AM
I have a book pretty much finished, but just decided recently that I don't have the infrastructure or anything new in the way of marketing it that I think would stand out and actually sell.
Took me a while to admit that, but something about self publishing it just wasn't going to make it good enough.

Exploring some different options to make money with the content.

Based on your posts over the years here, I think you might have a lot to offer depending on the book topic. If you've used your own voice and on a topic you're passionate about I bet you'd find a lot of fans...in fact, I wouldn't be too surprised if you could find a publisher if it's on a hot and marketable topic.

PayForWords
08-18-2013, 07:51 AM
Do you have a ready market already? (an email list that you've been building)? Or are you starting to sell cold?

Do you network with any marketers who tap into the aspiring writer market?

In other words, what marketing assets do you currently have to get the sales moving?

What platform do you plan to release in? Kindle? PDF download from your site? A third party affiliate site like ClickBank? What's your price point that you expect to make 1000 in sales through...is that a first year figure or a build up to figure? How much are you wanting to put into marketing to make those thousand sales?

You've chosen a really, really tight market...so it's not going to be an easy task, especially if your book doesn't possess a unique or innovative approach. $500 a week doesn't stand up very well to titles like The Six Figure Freelancer and the Wealthy Writer. What's going to make your book different from the hundreds of free reports available on the topic that others are offering?

I have a list but in a completely different niche so in a sense, I'd be starting starting cold.

I do have a large network of marketers and virtually anything else you can think of though.

I've been active online for over a decade (11 years to be exact).

I also have access to 3 or 4 sites that each get over 10,000 unique visitors a month.

Aside from that, I plan on releasing PDF download from a site and MAYBE Kindle/Nook/etc

The main thing with the $500+ a week is that it's honest and...

1. Doesn't require any investment (no buying ads, nodda)

2. Anyone can do it (disabled? stay at home mom? anyone)

3. You can literally be doing it from day one.

What makes it different? I'm not sure as I haven't read all the other books. It'll have a money back guarantee though.

As far as the selling goes, I was thinking of pricing it at $5 to $10. 1,000 copies is my goal within 365 days.

If I can help 1,000 people earn a living and make some money myself, mission accomplished.

Heck, if I could even sell 100 copies, I'd feel like I did a good job in all honesty.

Harold Mansfield
08-18-2013, 10:15 AM
The main thing with the $500+ a week is that it's honest and...

1. Doesn't require any investment (no buying ads, nodda)

2. Anyone can do it (disabled? stay at home mom? anyone)

3. You can literally be doing it from day one.

What makes it different? I'm not sure as I haven't read all the other books. It'll have a money back guarantee though.

As far as the selling goes, I was thinking of pricing it at $5 to $10. 1,000 copies is my goal within 365 days.

If I can help 1,000 people earn a living and make some money myself, mission accomplished.

Heck, if I could even sell 100 copies, I'd feel like I did a good job in all honesty.

You have to admit that the market is flooded with "Make money from home...anyone can do it" books. The noise level is so high it will take a lot of marketing to stand out from the people who are all over the internet and TV with the same pitch. The infomercials alone on books like this have been running for years. Rich Dad, Jeff Paul, that informercial dude that claims he makes $1000 a day on Facebook .there are 1000's You Tube videos, Facebook pages, people on Twitter....the internet is full of "Make money" pitches and "Follow my money making journey" blogs.

They all have the same pitch, use the same old school sales page, video of some guy talking about how he can show you how to "harness the power of the internet to create a guranteed souce of residual income so that you can pay bills, spend more time with your family", and buy more stuff.

How are you going to get noticed in that field?

These are the things that made me take a step back and evaluate if I really wanted to be just another ebook in this field. Even though my book isn't the same and is NOT a "make money online" book, there's still a lot of noise out there for books that have anything to do with the web and the credibility level is really low. Did I really want to be one of those guys? It's almost as if I feel that putting out a book in this field would lower my credibility.

Patrysha
08-18-2013, 11:56 AM
I've been online for just a short while more than you...active as a writer for about the same amount of time. I've written three books on the same topic myself (as a ghostwriter) over the years and read dozens - both the special reports/ebooks and traditional books on the topic.

The market is fairly saturated, most of the books are just the same information, re-formatted and regurgitated...but there is always room for more because there's always a fresh crop of wanna be writers out there.

With the length of time you've been online, you probably already know all the effective strategies that you need to get this book to market. They aren't much different than the strategies you likely use to find new clients for your writing, just a slightly different market. Don't second-guess yourself too much. It shouldn't be too hard to set up marketing for your book, it's just a matter of deciding which techniques and strategies are going to fit in your schedule and budget.

Patrysha
08-18-2013, 12:24 PM
These are the things that made me take a step back and evaluate if I really wanted to be just another ebook in this field. Even though my book isn't the same and is NOT a "make money online" book, there's still a lot of noise out there for books that have anything to do with the web and the credibility level is really low. Did I really want to be one of those guys? It's almost as if I feel that putting out a book in this field would lower my credibility.

You've no doubt heard and know that saying by Henry Ford, "Whether you believe you can or you believe you can't, you're right"

I think the credibility factor depends entirely on who you're talking to...you'll only be lumped with "those guys" if you act and present yourself like "those guys" -if you're not promoting your work as get-rich or easy earnings, it's only your own perceptions and pride that are putting you within that category.

And that's okay. Not everyone has to move forward with every potentially good idea or product they have...

But it's important to remember that the noise and the charlatans have been out there forever...and yet still more people come onto the scene and succeed every year.

If you wanted to, it would be easy enough to re-frame your reluctance to publish as robbing the people you could potentially help.

If all people can find online in their quest for knowledge is provided by "those guys" then where is the opportunity for them to know and do better?

The problem, of course, is that some of the stories are true. You can make incredible money online. There are ways and strategies that have been proven time and time again and they've been working to build good lifestyles (if not legitimate fortunes) over time. There are get rich strategies but they are never, ever quick. Not in business offline, and not in business online.

Harold Mansfield
08-18-2013, 12:29 PM
Sometimes you just know when something is missing. Right now, I don't get the same excitement as I do with other ideas or projects. Either something is missing, or I'm feeling like there's a better way to do it and I just haven't lasered in on it yet.

Don't you ever get that feeling that "it's just not good enough yet", but can't put your finger on it?
That's where I am with my book marketing plan. I want to do something different, but haven't formed the entire thing yet.

I hate to do anything half assed. I'm not scared to fail, I just like to have a clear strategy before I jump.

Patrysha
08-18-2013, 01:01 PM
Sometimes you just know when something is missing. Right now, I don't get the same excitement as I do with other ideas or projects. Either something is missing, or I'm feeling like there's a better way to do it and I just haven't lasered in on it yet.

Don't you ever get that feeling that "it's just not good enough yet", but can't put your finger on it?
That's where I am with my book marketing plan. I want to do something different, but haven't formed the entire thing yet.

I hate to do anything half assed. I'm not scared to fail, I just like to have a clear strategy before I jump.

Are you kidding? I live with the constant fear that despite all my real and verifiable accomplishments over the years, that I'm really just a hack.

But knowing that New York Times bestsellers with more than 20 titles under their belt that have the same fears, makes it a bit easier to deal with :-)

If it's not ready, it's not ready. You'll know if and when the time is right. Not good enough is a valid reason (though waiting for perfection can be a horrible stalling and procrastination tactic)

All I'm saying is don't use the lowest common denominator as an excuse for holding back...that's kind of letting the bad guys win.

PayForWords
08-18-2013, 01:27 PM
You have to admit that the market is flooded with "Make money from home...anyone can do it" books. The noise level is so high it will take a lot of marketing to stand out from the people who are all over the internet and TV with the same pitch. The infomercials alone on books like this have been running for years. Rich Dad, Jeff Paul, that informercial dude that claims he makes $1000 a day on Facebook .there are 1000's You Tube videos, Facebook pages, people on Twitter....the internet is full of "Make money" pitches and "Follow my money making journey" blogs.

They all have the same pitch, use the same old school sales page, video of some guy talking about how he can show you how to "harness the power of the internet to create a guranteed souce of residual income so that you can pay bills, spend more time with your family", and buy more stuff.

How are you going to get noticed in that field?

It would only lower your credibility if you ARE just like one of those guys.

Give them something valuable and it will enhance your credibility.

Just my opinion of course BUT...

If you believe in your product, sell it.

If you don't, forget about selling it.

To me, it sounds like you're kind of in the middle right now?

Either way, I appreciate your advice.

I've been online for just a short while more than you...active as a writer for about the same amount of time. I've written three books on the same topic myself (as a ghostwriter) over the years and read dozens - both the special reports/ebooks and traditional books on the topic.

The market is fairly saturated, most of the books are just the same information, re-formatted and regurgitated...but there is always room for more because there's always a fresh crop of wanna be writers out there.

With the length of time you've been online, you probably already know all the effective strategies that you need to get this book to market. They aren't much different than the strategies you likely use to find new clients for your writing, just a slightly different market. Don't second-guess yourself too much. It shouldn't be too hard to set up marketing for your book, it's just a matter of deciding which techniques and strategies are going to fit in your schedule and budget.

Most definitely. The only thing is, all my contact are clients that PAY for work...

Now I want to teach the complete opposite how to do what I do.

I would think I'd have to change my methods a little bit, wouldn't I?

I've been playing around with some different strategies though.

How did your books do if you don't mind me asking?

Patrysha
08-18-2013, 01:51 PM
Most definitely. The only thing is, all my contact are clients that PAY for work...

Now I want to teach the complete opposite how to do what I do.

I would think I'd have to change my methods a little bit, wouldn't I?

The target yes, but not the strategies or method...re-creating separately and for the new market what has been successful for you in the past. Does that make sense? For example, over the years I've done workshops, webinars, podcasts, special events, guest writing, email tutorials, special reports and so on to promote my services and products...so when it comes to promote a new product or service those are the tactics I would use...

How did your books do if you don't mind me asking?
I really have no idea how they did. I did the writing, collected my money and moved on.

PayForWords
08-18-2013, 03:45 PM
The target yes, but not the strategies or method...re-creating separately and for the new market what has been successful for you in the past. Does that make sense? For example, over the years I've done workshops, webinars, podcasts, special events, guest writing, email tutorials, special reports and so on to promote my services and products...so when it comes to promote a new product or service those are the tactics I would use...

I really have no idea how they did. I did the writing, collected my money and moved on.

Ahh gotcha. They were "ghost writing" projects.

See, I've literally ghost written novels, screenplays, you name it.

Heck, one screenplay I wrote got optioned and is on IMDB.com (luckily, I got a writer credit)

Other than that, I don't know how the content I produced did either.

nexxterra
08-22-2013, 08:24 PM
here is an article from one of the people I mentioned above.
The Long Road of Self Publishing or “Yep, I’m going to write a book too” | The Silo (http://www.thesilo.ca/the-long-road-of-self-publishing-or-yep-im-going-to-write-a-book-too/#)

Harold Mansfield
08-23-2013, 11:53 AM
It would only lower your credibility if you ARE just like one of those guys.

That's not true. You can affect your perceived credibility by doing the same thing as others. Which is my point. I don't want to do it the same way as everyone else because too many people have ruined the credibility of the niche and target market.

billbenson
08-24-2013, 10:41 PM
I would ideally write a website that was on a similar theme as the ebook. Ideally you would have other revenue streams on the site, but it could be strictly informational as well. Ideally you would like to have a 100 page resource site with (as mentioned in Dan's SEO post) 100 pages optimized for different keyphrases.

That site, over time could become a resource site in the eyes of G and site visitors as well. By nature of being a resource site, it would give the ebook more credibility. You could get some sales that way. I'd still like to see the site have other revenue streams though.

Anyway, that's how I would approach something like this.