PDA

View Full Version : Best headline/ad you've ever seen?

TheInternetDude
08-14-2013, 12:44 PM
I've seen a ton of awesome (convincing) ads, and have read a bunch of amazing headlines, so I'm wondering which ads/headlines have stuck out in your own minds?

A recent one I saw (on the subway) was for a language learning institute, and they had a picture of a bench, with a sign next to it that read, "Wet paint." However, there was also a body mark on the bench that signified that someone hadn't read the "Wet paint" sign and sat on it. On a panel next to the image, it read, "Don't get stained. Learn English."

I saw that has a perfect way to compel a need and CTA.

Others?

cbscreative
08-14-2013, 04:38 PM
That's a great example but the problem is the target audience still can't read it.

It's hard to pick out the best headline ever but one of the most brilliant IMO was Propel water on Hulu. You could watch an entire show with one 10 second ad at the beginning that said something like, "This show brought to you uninterrupted by Propel... It washes away commercials."

That was a few years ago before Hulu got almost as bad as network TV. I refuse to watch Hulu anymore.

LaurenExplains
08-17-2013, 02:28 AM
haha I saw that exact same print ad on the subway while I was visiting toronto.

billbenson
08-17-2013, 08:18 AM
That's a great example but the problem is the target audience still can't read it.

It's hard to pick out the best headline ever but one of the most brilliant IMO was Propel water on Hulu. You could watch an entire show with one 10 second ad at the beginning that said something like, "This show brought to you uninterrupted by Propel... It washes away commercials."

That was a few years ago before Hulu got almost as bad as network TV. I refuse to watch Hulu anymore.

Not quite sure I agree with you Steve. If someone has been in a country for 6 months to a year, They are going to learn words and phrases at a communicative level. Wet would be a common word and so would paint. Not to hard to figure out. People want to go to the grocery store for milk. They figure out what milk is pretty quickly. In this example, if the advertiser thought that this could have put wet paint in small text in a few languages under the English. The Language Placard could do the same.

The hard part about language are idiomatic expressions (in a round about way) and grammar. Of course you are always adding new words. And some people are better at language than others.

Once upon a time my boss told me I could either look for a job or move to Latin America and manage sales for Latin America and the Caribbean. So I off I went to Panama speaking no Spanish. So I've been there and done that. It only took a couple of months to be pretty comfortable. I'm about 80% fluent now. That took quite a few years in my case.

nexxterra
08-17-2013, 01:26 PM
I moved to Miami Beach in 2001, managed night clubs, after staying up all night, the A/C guy or a delivery guy would make an appointment for 10:30 or noon, then NOT SHOW UP or be very late... After about 6 months of this, I was driving and saw an ad for a pool company... Slogan "We Show Up!" I thought for this area, this was perfect!

Harold Mansfield
08-18-2013, 01:04 PM
Too many tag lines and headlines over the years to say which is best, but I did recently come across the sales copy that made me buy immediately.

It was for a set of kitchen ware and utensils..you know steak knives, spatulas, colanders... it was like a set of 50 things. I've needed some new things for a while and just kept putting it off. There was a few lines in the sales copy that read:

"Aren't you tired of cutting your steak with the plastic knives that you get from your Chinese take out? Stop living like a college student and get yourself a nice set of kitchen utensils"

I purchased it right away.

billbenson
08-18-2013, 09:10 PM
Too many tag lines and headlines over the years to say which is best, but I did recently come across the sales copy that made me buy immediately.

It was for a set of kitchen ware and utensils..you know steak knives, spatulas, colanders... it was like a set of 50 things. I've needed some new things for a while and just kept putting it off. There was a few lines in the sales copy that read:

"Aren't you tired of cutting your steak with the plastic knives that you get from your Chinese take out? Stop living like a college student and get yourself a nice set of kitchen utensils"

What did you do with all the knives from the Chinese takeout?

Harold Mansfield
08-18-2013, 09:28 PM
What did you do with all the knives from the Chinese takeout?

I use them to stir my coffee in the morning.

Business magnate
08-23-2013, 05:53 PM
I've seen a ton of awesome (convincing) ads, and have read a bunch of amazing headlines, so I'm wondering which ads/headlines have stuck out in your own minds?

A recent one I saw (on the subway) was for a language learning institute, and they had a picture of a bench, with a sign next to it that read, "Wet paint." However, there was also a body mark on the bench that signified that someone hadn't read the "Wet paint" sign and sat on it. On a panel next to the image, it read, "Don't get stained. Learn English."

I saw that has a perfect way to compel a need and CTA.

Others?

Hmmm... it sure is creative and funny, but it would be interesting to find out how much language courses were sold as the result of this advertisement?

What do you think?

marrick
12-22-2013, 06:52 AM
I think the one that catches my attention was from Accenture. Their slogan "We Deliver". I saw their TV commercial about how they delivered huge success to the biggest companies in the US and around the world through their innovative business consulting and other services available.

Webman123
01-08-2014, 03:50 AM
I've ever seen an PPC Ad like this:

Love
Buy it cheap on eBay
Low Price, New and Used

We all want to be loved. Now it is easier than ever…just hop on over to eBay and buy some! Not only is it available, but it is apparently cheap =))

Damon the Marketer
01-14-2014, 12:05 PM
But why would you click that? If you're clicking just out of curiosity, for example, what's your next action to find that it's selling laundry detergent or something?

I see lots of PPC ads like this that are created by a small business owner with no direct marketing experience, thinking they will be "clever" with an eye-grabbing ad like this. But I doubt such ads have good ROI.

The best PPC ads actually are written to reject the "average" click, looking only for those most likely to actually buy the to-be-advertised product.

Harold Mansfield
01-14-2014, 12:53 PM
Decent article here on What makes us click on a headline:Study: What Makes You Click On A Headline? (http://marketingland.com/what-makes-you-click-on-a-headline-70364)

David Hunter
01-14-2014, 07:06 PM
Best headline I have ever seen...

"SEX! Now that I have your attention, vote for Bart!" Got to love The Simpsons! haha

Sean_DeSilva
01-27-2014, 03:38 PM
Lies! Lies! Lies! By Gary Bencivenga, as he taps into the inherent distrust of high net worth individuals against Wall Street and the political establishment. He communicates in a way that resonates deeply with the target market (in combination with the strong visuals he used to communicate the idea further).

Lenin Govea
01-30-2014, 07:43 PM
:)

You made my day!

Well, it seems like they were talking to you… directly, huh?

In the end that's what copy is all about.

PrincePatridge
03-25-2014, 04:19 PM
Best headline I have ever seen was the phrase

"Sex"

Haha funny but to me that was funny..

Toby Milroy
03-25-2014, 10:56 PM
Not a direct answer....and this may be pretty obvious to most here.....but....

I've spent tens of millions of dollars in campaigns over the years.....and I LOVE the art/science of copy-writing....HOWEVER....

Never forget that your "relationship" with the "list" (prospects, customers, etc) trumps ALL.

Poor headlines, crappy copy, poor graphics etc....can work really well if your prospects/customers/etc WANT to hear from you, and respect your "voice".
(Obviously all this is improved with good headlines/copy etc...)

The reverse is also true....if the "list" doesn't trust, respect, value you and what you have to say, even the BEST copy on the planet falls flat.

Work1099
11-14-2014, 06:13 PM
My favorite is the ad by Gary Bencivenga with the headline "Do you make these mistakes in job interviews?" It's a superb piece. It can be found at swiped.co if you wanted to see it as well.