PDA

View Full Version : Can I make a suggestion?

Spider
08-09-2008, 09:09 AM
Could I possibly suggest that everyone use their real names? I know nicknames, or user IDs, are quite standard fare for online discussion boards but this community is, I hope, going to be different. We aren't molested ladies hiding from stalking husbands with child-custody issues - we are business people and, I would suppose, many of us are hoping that we might do business with one another. And who is going to do business with someone hiding behind a pseudonym?

Trust is the first order of the day in business and trusting each other with our names seems like a good place to start.

Don't you think?

KristineS
08-09-2008, 09:20 AM
It's usually up to each individual poster whether or not they want to reveal their names. I've found that most people, as time goes on, will tell others their name when they feel comfortable and trust that the environment is safe. I expect, for most, that will happen pretty soon here.

Also, if you want to do business with someone and they don't feel comfortable revealing their name on a public forum you can always PM them and have a private discussion.

vangogh
08-09-2008, 12:58 PM
Frederick, I almost always use someone's real name assuming I know it. Some people either don't say or I miss it. I've been doing it for years for the reasons you mention.

Using real names brings people a little closer together and enhances trust.

By the way for anyone who doesn't know I'm Steve.

I'll have to look into seeing how our names can get displayed again near our usernames for those who fill that part of the profile out. That makes it a lot easier to know everyone's name, when you can see it.

GreaterVisibility
08-09-2008, 01:03 PM
Could I possibly suggest that everyone use their real names? I know nicknames, or user IDs, are quite standard fare for online discussion boards but this community is, I hope, going to be different. We aren't molested ladies hiding from stalking husbands with child-custody issues - we are business people and, I would suppose, many of us are hoping that we might do business with one another. And who is going to do business with someone hiding behind a pseudonym?

Trust is the first order of the day in business and trusting each other with our names seems like a good place to start.

Don't you think?

Wow, your real name is Spider?! How cool is that!;)

On a serious note, I remember you bringing this up on the old forums too. Even if we gave names like John Smith, you still don't really even know if our name is truly John Smith. Some people may just have usernames that they've used for years or that they use on every message board they frequent and see no change. Some might like having their business name as their username so that it brings attention to their business. I really don't think that people are hiding behind their usernames, many may use it to actually promote what they do rather than hide behind the name. People typically do business with a business name, not necessarily a particular individual.

So then, is Spider your real name or business name?;) Just messin with ya!

John Smith

KristineS
08-09-2008, 01:45 PM
Frederick, I almost always use someone's real name assuming I know it. Some people either don't say or I miss it. I've been doing it for years for the reasons you mention.

Using real names brings people a little closer together and enhances trust.

By the way for anyone who doesn't know I'm Steve.

I'll have to look into seeing how our names can get displayed again near our usernames for those who fill that part of the profile out. That makes it a lot easier to know everyone's name, when you can see it.

I have seen forums that do have a small indicator in your location file that displays your first name if you want that shown. Everyone always has the choice, but it is a nice feature for those who want to use it.

By the way, as if my screen name doesn't give it away, I'm the one on the Admin team who is not a Steve.

Spider
08-09-2008, 02:23 PM
I thought that the signature was for displaying a...er.. signature, no? (Not sure what purpose the extra location near the user id will play.)

A userID and signature are different things, used for different purposes. Lots of John Smiths can sign themselves John Smith, but only one can have John Smith as a user ID.

And, as for using a business name rather than a person's name, I think most people do business with people, not with busineses. But for those who prefer to use the UserID for business promotion, the signature can be used for a signature.

I encourage everyone to sign their posts with their real name.

vangogh
08-09-2008, 02:38 PM
There are reasons why someone would use a business name in their signature since it helps in branding their business. I'd rather not tell people what they should or shouldn't use in their signature as long as it fits within the forum rules.

The feature where your name shows is an easy way for people to see what your name is and it's also easy enough not to show if someone prefers to remain anonymous.

I agree that it's brings us closer if we use our real names, but there are valid reasons for people not wanting to share and it's everyone's right to decide for themselves how they want to be known.

cbscreative
08-09-2008, 03:26 PM
Just for the record, I moved this to Small Talk because I felt it didn't belong in Intros. Since it's not official forum business, I didn't think it needed to go in the Suggestions area, so it's a small move.

Great discussion though, and my name really is Steve Chittenden.

billbenson
08-09-2008, 03:44 PM
Spider, my real name is bill, but it's not benson. I never use real information on the internet unless I need to because of fraud potential. You are selling coaching and other services. VG is selling design services. You don't have much choice.

If I do business with someone based on connecting here, I cut over to a real name and my professional email. It's not a case of deception. Rather, there are so many databases out there, that if I put my real name a date of birth here, somewhere else my SS number may be available. Somewhere else someone may have a site that somehow collects my SS number. Suddenly you have identity theft.

Like I said, some here really don't have a choice but to use their real information. It is a really bad idea to put real information IMO on the internet if you don't need to.

KristineS
08-09-2008, 04:31 PM
In my opinion, it comes down to personal choice. I'm working a little harder on branding myself instead of the companies for which I work, so I tend to use a version of my name. Bill does have a point though, I am always aware that there are creepy people out there on the Internet and I don't want to make it totally easy for them to find me.

I'm known by my name by a lot of people on several forums, but that happened when I felt comfortable with revealing the information. I think everyone needs to make their own choice about when, or if, that happens for them. If they don't feel comfortable, they don't.

Paul Elliott
08-09-2008, 07:56 PM
By the way, as if my screen name doesn't give it away, I'm the one on the Admin team who is not a Steve.

<whew>And all this time we thought it was Kristine Steves. :rolleyes:

Paul

vangogh
08-09-2008, 08:11 PM
You know Kristine, your last name isn't really that far away from Steve. Are you sure you're not a Steve.

Leatherneck
08-10-2008, 12:12 PM
My name is David Makela. I sign my name Mak so i guess that would make me half on the straight.

KristineS
08-10-2008, 01:39 PM
You know Kristine, your last name isn't really that far away from Steve. Are you sure you're not a Steve.

I'm pretty sure. After all, someone has to not be Steve.

Although you're right, my last name does sound very similar to Steve.

cbscreative
08-10-2008, 02:32 PM
I had thought about the fact that your last name rymes with Steve, I just didn't mention it yet. Now it's too late to be the first to point that out.

Blessed
08-11-2008, 08:25 AM
Good Discussion.

I use "Blessed" "CrazyDog" or "CrazyBlessed" on forums and social networking sites and on my blogs - once I get my business website up and running I'll use my first name there but not my last name primarily because of what BillBenson had to say and also because I'm a woman, I was stalked in High School and I just got a call out of the blue from someone else that I felt threatened by as an adult and I have to consider my extended family and their concerns with the internet as well. (They are scared of the internet, but I love them anyway) My identity as "Blessed" is fairly well established in my online community and I'll keep it that way. My business name is Crazy Dog Creative and that's where the CrazyDog comes from. As for the Crazy... it's something I've always said that I am :) and I've gotten a lot of work from people I met because they were looking for graphic design services and they liked and could remember my business name.

By the way though, my name is Jenn and my signature will stay "I'm Blessed"

KristineS
08-11-2008, 08:59 AM
I think women in general tend to be a bit more wary about using their real names. I didn't for a long time and still don't in certain situations. Although, in my case, I'm starting to feel that the cat is pretty much out of the bag. My real name is out there enough that it's kind of reached the point where being anonymous really isn't an option.