PDA

View Full Version : WP Photo Galleries

the goat
01-28-2009, 07:57 PM
So I am in need of a new photo gallery and I was wondering what everybody uses.

I have used awsompixgallery and I like it, but it is buggy. For instance it won't work with search engine friendly URLs for some reason.

Does anyone know of a good gallery plugin?

seolman
01-28-2009, 08:21 PM
I'm just toying with one called NexGen Gallery for my wife's WP site. It's seems to be OK so far but I can't claim to have used it for ages. What I like about it is a slick little slide show feature it has. So far no bugs but it's early days yet. Vangogh probably has a better handle on WP plugins for galleries. He should chime in here eventually after he gets a new band-aid on his ear...

the goat
01-28-2009, 08:37 PM
Thanks seolman, I actually was looking at that one, but needing the jw player and having the images hosted elsewhere seems like a pain. Is it pretty easy to use once you get it all set up?

I don't mind it being complicated but I have built sites for some less than tech savvy friends and I want them to be able to make changes (so I don't have to every time)

seolman
01-28-2009, 08:46 PM
I have to admit - it's not easy to use and you have to have some tech savvy to make it do what you want. If the site you're building is for someone with little tech savvy i'd steer away from this one...it's a pain :p

Patrysha
01-28-2009, 08:47 PM
The images don't have to be hosted elsewhere, you can upload through WP. The JW player is just a quick file to upload...no more difficult than it was before 2.7 to upload other WP plug ins.

vangogh
01-28-2009, 10:00 PM
goat I've been using one of the lightbox plugins, but the one I use hasn't been updated for WP 2.7 yet. There are plenty though if you search for 'wordpress plugins lightbox' They're generally easy to use. You create a thumbnail image and wrap a link around the thumbnail to the full size image. Then you add rel="lightbox" to the link and it's all set.

I'm using one on my portfolio if you want to see how it looks. I'm sure you've seen a lightbox image gallery before.

the goat
01-28-2009, 10:12 PM
I like lightbox and I use it for a few sites. I would like to set this person up with a plugin that will format the thumbnails for them and also have a slideshow. Is there a lightbox gallery that does that? I haven't been able to find one.

There are so many, I have wasted my time installing three now that I don't like.

vangogh
01-28-2009, 10:36 PM
I know what you mean about there being a lot. I could have sworn I'd seen some that did have the slideshow gallery, but the last few times I looked I couldn't find any. It might be I'm thinking of the ordinary lightbox and not a WP plugin.

If that's the case you could set up a lightbox gallery in javascript and get a plugin to allow you to add javascript to posts.

the goat
01-29-2009, 11:06 AM
Well I still haven't found one I would call great, but I did end up installing nextgen and I have to say it is actually really simple to use.

seolman I am curious are you running wp2.7?

seolman
01-29-2009, 07:34 PM
Well I still haven't found one I would call great, but I did end up installing nextgen and I have to say it is actually really simple to use.

seolman I am curious are you running wp2.7?

Yes - it is easy but not for people who've never used WP. I have to get my wife to learn this and she's never used WP :P - I think my point got discombobulated in the 2 posts...sorry if I misspoke and made it seem harder than it was.