PDA

View Full Version : Hi - animal live trapping

bwat05
01-28-2009, 06:10 PM
Hi. Like many of you I am from the old forum. I rarely posted over there and it was a few years ago, but hey I was there!! :D
I was looking into business ideas at the time and had just gotten into real estate....yeah bad time to do that.
So I have maintained my day job for the last nine years - pest control and insulation installer.
Over the next year I plan to research in detail what it is going to take to start my own animal removal/cleanup business.

I thought this would be the best place to start by getting advice and maybe even learn from others mistakes.

It's great that this forum is like the .com site used to be.

Thanks,

Barry

seolman
01-28-2009, 06:52 PM
Hi Barry - I wasn't in the old forum but I know a lot of people here were. I want to welcome you to this one - it's a great place to hash out business ideas. Look forward to visiting with you.

cbscreative
01-28-2009, 06:53 PM
Glad to have you over here with us, Barry. Welcome aboard and I hope this forum really helps you. We do have a great community here. It's everything the old one used to be, and even better because it has people who care, and vangogh now has the authority he deserves. He handles it exceptionally well too. He says he sleeps, but I thimk he's lying. Either that or he sleeps while still wired to this forum and wakes up every time the spam alarm goes off.

vangogh
01-28-2009, 06:56 PM
Welcome to the forum Barry. Sorry again about the confirmation email not getting sent out, but at least we were able to manually approve it so you could finally login an post. I do remember your username from the old forum if if you weren't the most active poster there.

Thanks for joining the community and sorry it took so long to get registered.

KristineS
01-28-2009, 08:27 PM
Welcome to the forum Barry. It's good to have you here.

Steve B
01-29-2009, 06:45 AM
Hi Barry,

There is a "Critter Ridders" in Louisville that I understand does very well. I also see one other company that does the same thing. Hopefully, you can make a go of it after doing your research.

Just H
01-29-2009, 12:08 PM
Welcome Barry! I wasn't at the old forum and am new to this one but definitely seems to be a good group of people - and we're all virtual donut lovers! Good luck with developing the new biz. Would love to hear more about the type of biz you want if you feel like sharing. For instance, are you looking mostly to contract highway cleanup w/ the state or more residential for when you get a dead rat in the house walls:mad:? I live in Florida part of the year and have heard some pretty nasty stories - I know people will pay good money to not have that become a huge issue. Or some of both or more spraying? I'm sure where you live shapes that a little. Anyway, welcome and good luck!

bwat05
02-03-2009, 08:44 PM
Would love to hear more about the type of biz you want if you feel like sharing. For instance, are you looking mostly to contract highway cleanup w/ the state or more residential for when you get a dead rat in the house walls

Primarily residential and commercial animal trapping. The company I work for recently stopped trapping animals, but they still get tons of calls with raccoons in attics and things of that nature. I have the experience for most of this already bu would have to broaden the scope of the business to cover wild animals other than what I normally dealt with.
In my area there are several pest control companies that offer basic nuissance wildlife services and 2 or 3 full service wildlife management companies.
I also know that a lot of customers aren't happy with their pricing and overall service.
I have no desire to remove road kill, but if the price was right I would be out there today with my snowshovel and clothespin :eek:.

rezzy
02-03-2009, 09:25 PM
Hello, and Welcome to the forums. I am also a newbie.

phanio
02-04-2009, 10:37 AM
Welcome. What region are you looking to cover? Is there more business opportunities in rural areas or are animals moving into neighborhoods?

bwat05
02-04-2009, 05:47 PM
The bulk of the problem is in residential neighborhoods - both inner city and in the suburbs.
We will do some trapping in the rural areas but those people usually have their own methods of dealing with unwanted pests.
I am in Dayton, OH and will cover 3 counties.