PDA

View Full Version : Is it me or everyone is now a social media expert?

jherraez
08-03-2013, 04:14 PM
I have been on Twitter and Linkedin for quite bit now and suddently most profiles you check, are all experts in something and social media experts are all like falling from the trees. So many people selling smoke out there (like in my country we use to say). Would like to hear your thoughts on the matter and to let people know about how dangerous it can be to actually create a business relationship with people of this sort.

<Please set up a signature through Settings>

Harold Mansfield
08-04-2013, 11:26 AM
It's been like that for a few years now. In my opinion it's because it's a popular field because so many business struggle to find any opportunity there and at the moment it's all the rage on the stock market again.

It's also something you can do ( or claim you can do) without having any technical knowledge or skills about anything. So it's easy to self proclaim yourself an "expert".
What I find funny is that all of the so called SM "Consultant" and "experts" all have very few followers, or fans, don't have customized profiles, and many have crappy websites and spammy sales pages.

I implore everyone. As soon as someone calls themsevles an "expert" in Social Media, run the other way.

Freelancier
08-04-2013, 12:16 PM
I don't think I've ever sold myself as an "expert" on anything, because there's always so much more to learn that it just sounds like something I wouldn't be able to back up.

"An expert" is easy to claim, impossible to prove, but probably really simple to disprove. So, yes, run the other way.

jherraez
08-04-2013, 12:42 PM
It's been like that for a few years now. In my opinion it's because it's a popular field because so many business struggle to find any opportunity there and at the moment it's all the rage on the stock market again.

It's also something you can do ( or claim you can do) without having any technical knowledge or skills about anything. So it's easy to self proclaim yourself an "expert".
What I find funny is that all of the so called SM "Consultant" and "experts" all have very few followers, or fans, don't have customized profiles, and many have crappy websites and spammy sales pages.

I implore everyone. As soon as someone calls themsevles an "expert" in Social Media, run the other way.

Absolutely agree, this is like the boom with 'terra' I don't know if you remember, people are buying non-valuable assets and claiming to be something or someone they aren't, just wait for the drop...

jherraez
08-04-2013, 12:45 PM
I don't think I've ever sold myself as an "expert" on anything, because there's always so much more to learn that it just sounds like something I wouldn't be able to back up.

"An expert" is easy to claim, impossible to prove, but probably really simple to disprove. So, yes, run the other way.

That's the difference from an expert and a beginner in the subject, the one that has a strong customer base, experience and doesn't call himself an 'expert' in my opinion, that person is the real expert. The rest are just wolfs dressed as sheep...

billbenson
08-04-2013, 02:26 PM
The web is by and large an unregulated industry. At one time I read a DreamWeaver for Dummies book and got myself a job at a small compay as a web designer. That's a long time ago, but it did happen. There are credentials you could look for such as a masters in computer science for a programmer, but there are a lot of good programmers without a degree.

I assume the real question is how does a lay person select a social media expert. There are a couple of ways IMO. You can hang out on a board like this one, better yet several and see who has answers that are respected by their peers. That would take a lot of linear time, but someone that is thinking about starting a business needs to do their research. Another place are 'good' blogs. You will need to spend some time searching for the good ones. These are primarily for self education purposes. The other thing is you could find someone you think is good and use them to help you find a designer that exactly meets your needs. Just because a designer is good, doesn't mean its the right one for you. You may have a specialized product and want to find someone with some knowledge of that industry.

nealrm
08-04-2013, 07:34 PM
In many cases these are the same people that were SEO experts a few years back. About 5% were good, 20% OK and the rest were crooks. I assume the same holds.

patrickprecisione
08-06-2013, 09:06 AM

Same goes for "guru". Everyone is a social media guru nowadays. And they've all got the "secret sauce" to transform your Facebook page overnight!

Some people assume that if they call themselves this thing long enough, eventually everyone we'll think of them that way.

SEO Sovereign
08-11-2013, 05:17 PM
Well its not hard to be a social media expert. Since there are no laws or degrees in it anyone can proclaim that they are an
"expert". Besides social media isn't that hard if you understand the basics.

PayForWords
08-12-2013, 03:01 AM
Agreed. 3 out of 4 of them do nothing more than update, make a timeline cover, buy "Likes."

I don't consider myself a social media expert by any means. If I was, I would do it for myself and not someone else.

KristineS
08-12-2013, 12:13 PM
I really hate the whole "expert" thing, and I generally tell people to run the other way when they see anyone who calls themselves a social media expert. You have to build up your credibility over time. Unfortunately, nowdays, you can claim you are something simply because you want to say you are, and some people won't catch on that you aren't. It's really "buyer beware" these days. Each individual has to take the responsibility for researching the "expert's" claims and seeing if they're true.

LGCG
08-30-2013, 08:17 AM
I really hate the whole "expert" thing

Totally agree. That's why I refer to myself as a "guru" :p

OlegLola
09-02-2013, 08:35 AM
I've noticed that people are calling themselves “experts” in all the fields. I think the meaning of the word is somehow distorted. Guess if you have less than 10 year experience in some field you can't be an expert. Of course there are some exceptions. What is your definitions of this word? Just curious.

billbenson
09-02-2013, 09:29 PM
I've noticed that people are calling themselves “experts” in all the fields. I think the meaning of the word is somehow distorted. Guess if you have less than 10 year experience in some field you can't be an expert. Of course there are some exceptions. What is your definitions of this word? Just curious.

I put it in the category of putting owner on a business card. Rarely would that have any value or meaning. There are a lot of people on this forum who I consider experts in all or some of their field. I can tell from their posts. Not because they say they are an expert.

LGCG
09-06-2013, 01:11 PM
Rarely would that have any value or meaning.

I agree with this. But my feeling is, these titles mean something to some people. Sometimes a client gets a certain comfort from knowing that they've got an "expert" taking care of their work. While I find titles constricting, I do see the value.

Now when people call themselves social media experts because they know how to set up a Facebook business page, then there's a problem.

Computer Conquest
09-19-2013, 10:30 AM
Over selling yourself is a natural human characteristic?

I do agree however, 'expert' is bandied around too much. Sifting through the subterfuge to find the truth is a skill.

By the way, I'm truth finding expert and guru. Really. :)

Michael Fied
10-10-2013, 12:19 AM
Great thread! Im going to say what no one is willing to post haha. IM A SOCIAL MEDIA EXPERT! lol. Easier said then done I guess. In my case doing work for fortune 500 companies and having recommendations out the ass. Gives you the right to call yourself an "expert". I do agree with most of the comments on this thread and the term is getting thrown around so much it's starting to loose quality. You can also assume people are over thinking the term "social media expert" to some people it may consist of getting likes and getting people to comment but someone who truly understands social media it's so much more. Creation, design, Development, engagement, implementing, reporting, maintaining & informing is a few key factos when it comes to social media..