PDA

View Full Version : Seems like half the internet is broken today. WTH?

Harold Mansfield
08-02-2013, 04:44 PM
It sucks when you are running around trying to put out fires, only to find out it's not you, it's the internet that's broken.

First my emails to various people started bouncing back, which prompted me to start tinkering with Outlook.
Then NextGenGallery for WordPress took a dump on the update to WordPress 3.6.
Then I couldn't access client's websites OR thier hosting accounts.

After hours of trying to put out fires with no luck, I finally see that Bluehost, Hostgator, and Hostmonster are down today.
Bluehost, HostGator and HostMonster Go Down (http://mashable.com/2013/08/02/bluehost-down/)

What the heck is going on?

Brian Altenhofel
08-02-2013, 06:14 PM
After hours of trying to put out fires with no luck, I finally see that Bluehost, Hostgator, and Hostmonster are down today.
Bluehost, HostGator and HostMonster Go Down (http://mashable.com/2013/08/02/bluehost-down/)

What the heck is going on?

They had issues with two core switches in their datacenter and apparently no way for the network to account for such an event.

JustHost was also part of that. All four of them are brand names for Endurance International Group. Same equipment, different label.

Pretty much illustrates why you should avoid shared hosting and make sure you have a tested DR/BC plan if your business uses its website as a primary source of revenue. With current technology, barring a catastrophic event, there's no valid excuse for a host to be down for more than a few minutes.

Harold Mansfield
08-02-2013, 06:34 PM
JustHost was also part of that. All four of them are brand names for Endurance International Group. Same equipment, different label.

I did not know this.

Business Attorney
08-02-2013, 09:30 PM
I have a few sites on Hostmonster that I was trying to access this morning, so I am painfully aware of how long they were down. Fortunately, everything seemed back in order around lunchtime.

Brian Altenhofel
08-02-2013, 10:30 PM
I have a few sites on Hostmonster that I was trying to access this morning, so I am painfully aware of how long they were down. Fortunately, everything seemed back in order around lunchtime.

They were still having issues as of 7PM Eastern. It may have taken them until 3:30PM Eastern to identify the issue according to their response site (http://enduranceresponse.com/).

My Facebook started filling up around 11AM with complaints and were going throughout the day. On the plus side, some people learned that it is worth it to pay 6-10x more for availability when their revenue stream is based off of their website.

Wozcreative
08-03-2013, 03:13 AM
I use hostgator for all my clients, with the exception of one site. It turns out, a few months ago, or a little while ago, hostgator moved their servers to pavo, utah... since then the servers have been SUPER SUPER slow.. and now they've gotten a huge outtage.

Bluehost has been trying to move older customers for awhile to their "new and shiny" servers.. with better dedicated server spec... however.. it was in Pavo! These guys were all down too...

BTW it is Hostgator, Hostmonster, Bluehost and JustHost that were down.

Similar thing was happening when ixwebhosting became popular/changed servers/changed managers etc.... they became super bad. Now It looks like I might have to switch again if this keeps happening!

billbenson
08-03-2013, 11:36 AM
I use hostgator for all my clients, with the exception of one site. It turns out, a few months ago, or a little while ago, hostgator moved their servers to pavo, utah... since then the servers have been SUPER SUPER slow.. and now they've gotten a huge outtage.

Bluehost has been trying to move older customers for awhile to their "new and shiny" servers.. with better dedicated server spec... however.. it was in Pavo! These guys were all down too...

BTW it is Hostgator, Hostmonster, Bluehost and JustHost that were down.

Similar thing was happening when ixwebhosting became popular/changed servers/changed managers etc.... they became super bad. Now It looks like I might have to switch again if this keeps happening!

That's a pain in the butt for you if you have to move a bunch of clients.

Keep us posted on who you like for hosts if you do move.

Harold Mansfield
08-03-2013, 12:24 PM
I've been using Bluehost for my clients for years and have others who are spread across the spectrum. Needless to say, yesterday was no fun. Most people who aren't ecommerce can deal with the sites going down, but no email? Not good.

It just coincidentally happened to be within 24 hours of a big WordPress update, so for some people it all seemed to be all related and updating their sites caused the internet to crash (I'm being over dramatic).

The worst things about days like yesterday is not the outage, because you can't do much about it. It's people coming up with lame brained hypothesis about how you do your job, and just guessing at stuff on what you should try to do to fix the situation just for them.
All of a sudden everyone becomes a systems engineer when the panic set in. Mind you, these are the same people that can't figure out how to press a button that says "update", in order to do a "one click update".

Can't you move my site to a temporary server?
Can you put up a temporary website that looks like my current one?
Can't you redirect my email so that it works?
Do you think it's WordPress? Maybe we should stop using WordPress.
Why isn't your site down? (that's a fun one to answer).

Wozcreative
08-03-2013, 12:57 PM
That's a pain in the butt for you if you have to move a bunch of clients.

Keep us posted on who you like for hosts if you do move.

A lot of hosting companies (the premium ones), offer a free website migration to their server. If it happens, thats what I will need to request.