PDA

View Full Version : How are you doing in Bing?

Harold Mansfield
07-31-2013, 11:50 AM
People rarely talk about optimizing for Bing. I see Bing in my stats regularly now, not as much as Google, but obviously a lot of people use Bing.

I was wondering if anyone is even trying?

Do you have a Bing Webmaster account?
Submitted and Verified your site?
Submitted your URL's?

Now that Klout and Bing are working together to gauge your influence and use that as a determination of your overall SEO (for Bing) , does it make a difference to you?

KristineS
07-31-2013, 01:42 PM
Don't even think about Bing most of the time. I did work with MSN or whatever it was before, and still get e-mails about updating my advertising profile, but I don't really bother with it. We do get some traffic as a result of Bing searches, but I'm not convinced that usage is great enough to want to spend a lot of time on it.

As for Klout, never have really cared about it, and them using Bing to determine influence won't really make me care more about either site.

billbenson
07-31-2013, 02:15 PM
I see a lot of people using bing as their primary search engine, but they still optimize for google. To the best of my knowledge, the optimization is pretty much the same these days anyway except for paid ads, so it shouldn't matter.

Harold Mansfield
07-31-2013, 07:04 PM
I see a lot of people using bing as their primary search engine, but they still optimize for google. To the best of my knowledge, the optimization is pretty much the same these days anyway except for paid ads, so it shouldn't matter.

It's a little different. I rank in Google for some things. I don't rank in Bing for the same things. Bing is also slow to index. Really slow. C'mon, it's still Microsoft.

billbenson
07-31-2013, 08:08 PM
It's a little different. I rank in Google for some things. I don't rank in Bing for the same things. Bing is also slow to index. Really slow. C'mon, it's still Microsoft.

What do you do differently in optimizing for bing?

Harold Mansfield
07-31-2013, 08:14 PM
What do you do differently in optimizing for bing?

I'm still trying to figure that out definitively. One of the things that has me perplexed is that Bing Webmaster tools allows you to submit 10 links a day from your website (up to 50 a month). Why doesn't the sitemap just read all of your pages?

I have fewer pages indexed in Bing and can't figure out why yet.

I don't know all of the reasons that it's different, I just know it's not the same.

carloborja
08-01-2013, 06:08 AM
In my case, I do not put much focus on Bing since Google gets the majority of the share in searches.

But, I do not totally neglect the fact that Bing is there. Even a small percent could make a big change.

LGCG
08-01-2013, 10:57 AM
Weirdly I'm starting to see more and more traffic coming from Bing. I do have a webmaster account and I did submit and verify my site with Bing.

PayForWords
08-10-2013, 07:31 AM
Bing is good for advertising but they can literally take months to index your site. Don't really mess with Bing much.

Harold Mansfield
08-10-2013, 11:14 AM
Bing is good for advertising but they can literally take months to index your site. Don't really mess with Bing much.

OK then. So I'm not crazy.
So once I submit it, verify and jump through the other hoops (sitemap, link submission and so on), is that pretty much it? I just have to wait?

I keep looking for what else I can do in Bing, but there doesn't appear to be anything to do.

PayForWords
08-10-2013, 02:39 PM
OK then. So I'm not crazy.
So once I submit it, verify and jump through the other hoops (sitemap, link submission and so on), is that pretty much it? I just have to wait?

I keep looking for what else I can do in Bing, but there doesn't appear to be anything to do.

I honestly have no idea haha I've never went through that process.

I do know I have a couple sites that rank on Google but I can literally go to Bing and...

Type in their full URL and my sites don't show up at all (and they've been up for months).

King Akoma
08-10-2013, 02:43 PM
As of now bing is just not an Authority in the search engine field, but it is slowly starting to gain hype as google is becoming so competitive and expensive. I know a good amount of people running cpc and cpv advertising campaigns on Bing successfully. In fact they prefer bing because they are receiving much more traffic for a lower cost.

Bing does work. Starting now to master it while it is still an underdog is a very good decision Harold.

PayForWords
08-10-2013, 02:55 PM
As of now bing is just not an Authority in the search engine field, but it is slowly starting to gain hype as google is becoming so competitive and expensive. I know a good amount of people running cpc and cpv advertising campaigns on Bing successfully. In fact they prefer bing because they are receiving much more traffic for a lower cost.

Bing does work. Starting now to master it while it is still an underdog is a very good decision Harold.

I think he was talking more along the lines of getting Bing to show his site in the search results.

I don't use Bing as a search nor do I try to do SEO in the hopes of ranking on Bing BUT...

I have ran ads on Bing and did okay with them. I got the first ad spot for good search terms at like .10 a click? Not bad.

Harold Mansfield
08-10-2013, 03:04 PM

I do want to do well there...or at least show up. But just like before, MS doesn't exactly give a lot of information to Webmasters. And I'm not entirely sure what's going on with the Yahoo!/ Bing partnership. I see Bing and Yahoo referral traffic in my stats, but there is no Yahoo Webmaster tools anymore, it redirects to Bing. Yet Yahoo is still selling it's Search Marketing. So does Yahoo Search technically still exist or is it just a branded Bing search engine?

I do think that Windows tablets will start to do better and Bing is obviously the default on everything Windows 8 and they are getting other default partners. I think one of the car companies is now a Bing partner with thier in dash nav/computer systems.

Klout ( even though I'm not entirely sure of the significance of that anymore), is using Bing as it's search and influence measurement, but I have far fewer indexed links in Bing.

I'm thoroughly confused as to what they are doing and how to do anything with it other than to buy ads.

SEO Sovereign
08-11-2013, 05:33 PM
As they always say. "The Majority rules". Since the majority of people use google most people disregard the other lesser search engines.