PDA

View Full Version : Hello and a wave

MinternetMike
07-22-2013, 08:07 AM
Hi Everyone,

I have just registered and wanted to introduce myself.
I'm Mike and I am from Perth in Scotland (not Australia, unfortunately) and I am in the process of setting up my own freelance web design business Minternet Web Design.
I am self taught and always keen to improve the skills I do have aswell as learning new skills - we never stop learning, right? ;)
I have no previous employment or experiences in Web Design but I have a strong passion and great enthusiasm for design, which has now matured into Web Design (previously I was in the architecture profession). I have started on a new journey and excited by it. I have goals and aims both in the short term and long term.

Looking forward to helping people out whenever I can but also to making new friends and possibly even others to collaborate with!!
Feel free to get in touch

LGCG
07-22-2013, 09:20 AM
Hey Mike. You should like quite the entrepreneur. Welcome to the forum!

vangogh
07-22-2013, 10:20 AM
Welcome to the forum Mike. I see you took me up on my invitation. I'm sure you'll like it here. We're a friendly community of people always looking to help each other make our businesses and careers more successful. Thanks for joining the community.

MinternetMike
07-22-2013, 10:39 AM
Thanks Greg and Steven for the welcomes.
Yes, I took you up on the invite Steven, thanks very much. This is the 1st (and currently only) forum I have joined. Looking forward to participating, meeting new people and, of course, helping out where I can.

vangogh
07-22-2013, 10:56 PM
Just hop in on any conversation going on. You'll find we're not short of opinion around here and it doesn't take too long to get to know people. Some of us have been typing back and forth at each other about 7 years now I think. Ask questions if you have any. Answer them when you know the answer. Otherwise just jump in and offer an opinion.

MinternetMike
07-23-2013, 11:15 AM
Thanks Steven.
Yeah, I have now viewed a number of posts/threads and a few names are seeming very active on here. Hopefully, I will start posting once I am settled and I am able to help out. I read you're comment on your blog too and it is my aim to stay here for as long as I can.
I have loads of questions!! LOADS!! I am hoping to launch my business soon and I have a lot that needs doing/sorting out. I am a mixture of scared, nerves and excitement. I will post questions when I find a relevant board to ask them on.

Patrysha
07-23-2013, 11:18 AM
Welcome to the forum :-)

MinternetMike
07-23-2013, 11:22 AM
Thanks Patrysha :)

vangogh
07-24-2013, 12:01 AM
Some of us post here daily or near daily I think. It gets a little quieter on weekends, but otherwise there's usually a reasonable amount of activity. Are the scared, nerves and excitement about starting the business or posting here? If the latter, I promise we don't bite.

I assume you mean the business though. In that case go more with the excitement. The nerves are normal and there's nothing to be scared about. It feels overwhelming in the beginning because so much is new and you're not sure how to respond. You do your best and you make some mistakes and you realize even after the mistakes your business is still there. Then you do a better job the next time.

MinternetMike
07-24-2013, 06:57 PM
Ha, no Steven, not the latter of the two. I feel safe enough hiding behind my laptop posting on here, several thousand of miles away! :)
It is to do with starting the business. There is a lot I want to get in place and learn and get done, I do feel overwhelmed and unsure where/what to do next. I am contacting Business Gateway (a government service over here to help people start up their own businesses) in the morning, so hopefully I will get some guidance on how to proceed and I wil probably post up here soon for some help/advice on my next steps etc.

Thanks for advice. I guess I just need to let the fear go and just take that step!

Well, it is late here so I am off for some sleep - been a rubbish day.
Speak soon

Gabe
07-24-2013, 11:55 PM
Hey Mike, welcome to the forum!

MinternetMike
07-25-2013, 06:51 AM
Thanks Gabe!:)