PDA

View Full Version : Search Metrics 2013 Ranking Factors Study for 2013

Harold Mansfield
06-30-2013, 12:01 AM
Search Metrics is a search engine, search analytics and search engine optimization...kind of think tank, software company.

They've recently come out with their 2013 report that, according to their studies and research, ranks the importance of the different elements that create your ranking profile. Basically an SEO blueprint of what Google looks for the most.

A couple of interesting takeaways:

Keyword links and domains have lost relevance-

The importance of keywords in the URL / domain has significantly decreased as a ranking factor compared to 2012.

In our study, these two factors are considered the losers when compared with last year, because the existence of keywords in the URL and/or the domain have lost their relevance. This also affects backlinks when it comes to plain text keyword links. So it looks as if the days of "hard keyword optimization" are over. Google now puts much more emphasis on natural link profiles. Hard keyword links have lost significant influence and can probably – when used excessively – even have a negative effect; for example, when Google updates its algorithm with features devaluing bad links.

Brands are the exception to many rules

Last year, brands held a privileged position. This has also been confirmed in this year's study: for brands – and their websites – search engines do not seem to apply the same criteria as for other domains. For example, it seems as though Google considers it natural for brands to have comparatively more back links with the name of the brand in the link text alone – what we refer to as "brand links" – and still not be rated negatively.

The whole keyword in the URL not being as important as it once was, is an argument that I made recently in another thread. Logically it makes sense because it would be unfair to hold millions of websites to a standard that only a very small percentage could ever possibly meet.

You can read more and download the report here:
SEO Ranking Factors - Rank Correlation 2013 for Google USA 2013 (http://www.searchmetrics.com/en/services/ranking-factors-2013/)

Hint: it's easier to see the graphic if you right click->view image and use the magnifier.

http://nhab.it/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/searchmetrics_infographic_ranking_factors_us_2013. jpg

KristineS
07-01-2013, 02:02 PM
I'm not surprised that keywords are declining in significance. Everyone was hitting those so hard for so long it was bound to happen. Plus, keyword domains are harder and harder to get as more sites are created. Interesting info.

dianecoleen
07-01-2013, 07:13 PM
I just saw this infographic in Google+, and I was glad that most of what I've done for my site is almost on the right path. It has also been provided that social presence is now being highly considered as one element in the ranking factor. With that being said, maybe it's time to turn our presence to social media and be more interactive on it.

patrickprecisione
07-02-2013, 02:04 PM
Yes, social isn't going anywhere. If you're not doing stuff with it (or if your boss isn't so sure you should be) make sure you get on it as soon as possible.