PDA

View Full Version : Could someone please critique my website?

dwsretail
06-29-2013, 12:53 PM
dwsretailsales.com

Harold Mansfield
06-29-2013, 04:20 PM
dwsretailsales.com

It looks more like a flyer. Too bright. Dated. 1990's dated.
I think you'd do better with a well designed lead capture page, than what you have.
It also stands out that there isn't one image on the entire site.

Hate to be a buzz kill, but there isn't anything about it that I like.

dwsretail
06-29-2013, 08:00 PM
Thanks, I agree.

Bronsontyler
06-30-2013, 03:52 PM
The font is too big. I would try having someone redesign it using wordpress.

patrickprecisione
07-03-2013, 08:11 AM
I would also add that the website needs some photos. That would go a long way in making the website feel more modern. Also, why bury the phone number and email address all the way at the bottom? I'd stick them closer to the top. Don't make a potential customer work to get in touch with you.

Online-Marketing-Guru
07-07-2013, 11:54 AM
On a scale from 0 to 10, with 0 being horrible, I'd rate your site a 2.
Very old and dated looking and very visually unappealing.

MostHeather
07-07-2013, 04:15 PM
I would say it could probably benefit from an update - dropping the all caps home page would be my first move. No one wants to be 'screamed at' on a web page.. also, the testimonials from US States looks odd..

Eddie Pollard
07-07-2013, 08:32 PM
There is a lot of info on the site but no direct call to action, meaning ok I have the info, now what? Seems kind of obvious but as Patrick said above your contact info is buried at the bottom and customers do not want to dig especially as customers online attention spans shrink. Also some photos would help break up all the text. I know it can be difficult to get your ideal site built working with a web developer ( I speak from personal experience) You may want to look into using a tool called "Basekit" this is a drag and drop tool that is very easy to use to build a website. You don’t need to know how to code to build the site at all! I used it to build our site and it came as a free tool with our host gator web hosting plan.

Jayde
07-08-2013, 03:17 AM
I'm not a fan of yellow. It reminds me of caution. The "testimonal" tab just makes me skeptical of your entire business. I understand that you want to provide prior customer's reccomendations to future customers... but how do I know those testimonies came from ACTUAL customers? It is too gimmocky. I tend to not give my business to, or do business with companies who provide testimonials. I also agree with the above comments. I can almost hear an infomercial announcer screaming at me when I read your pages. it reads like a bad car commerical, or one of those old furniture commercials. Not a good way to attract buiness in the modern world, not if you want to be taken seriously. I would tone down the colors, add more graphics and change the wording of the site. I'd also remove the photo that says "Your Store" it makes your website look even more low production. Eddie gave you some good advice about building a new site, I am not going to repeat what he already wrote but I do agree and second his suggestions!

Taichik22
07-12-2013, 11:31 PM
Hello, Aside from all the comments on the look of the site, there are some other issues as well.

The site is non-responsive, meaning it doesn't scale and on smaller screens users are left with a horizontal scroll bar.

Also I agree with the brightness, the content is good, however a couple other things to point out. Your email address at the bottom(and phone number and web address) are an image. Non-clickable. If I wanted to contact you by email, I would want to be able to copy and paste. Not a major issue though.

Diving in deeper. after taking a peek at your source code, there are a great deal of things missing. No META data aside from description, there are no header tags(h1, h2, etc), and alt/title tags on your images. Only for SEO purposes these would help out, but your back end is rough on that part.

I apologize if I come off a little unhelpful. This is actually my first reply on this forum =) I do hope I help some though.

Khalifa
07-17-2013, 04:30 PM
That website needs some work, here's my critique:

Fonts are too big, colors too bright, and YOU WRITE LIKE THIS, WHY?

The content is poor and your internal pages need a lot of work.

Oh well I think that's really enough, you get the idea.

Now regarding the site's SEO, it also needs a lot of work!!

billbenson
07-17-2013, 09:16 PM
Your email address at the bottom(and phone number and web address) are an image. Non-clickable. If I wanted to contact you by email, I would want to be able to copy and paste. Not a major issue though.

Harold, sorry, late to the party on this one.

I strongly agree withTaichik22 on the above issue. I receive orders or customer info by email every day. I copy and past it into an order entry program. Every time someone responds with an email with an image with their signiture info, it means I have to write it down and re type it. Sounds trivial, but try doing it 30 times a day.

Also, if you are doing this for email, a lot of companies and the government strip off html including images. If your signature is an image, it's not going to appear in a lot of emails.

Make your info copy and paste able for the same reason you want good load times. If your customer has to wait or do more work he may go elsewhere.

PayForWords
07-22-2013, 12:53 AM
Here's my honest opinion:

1. I personally like the "yellow-orange" because it says "Deals! Discounts! Whatever."

2. But....it really doesn't fit in with the rest of the site.

3. The rest of the site looks more like a landing page or a "small town, one location site."

4. I'd recommend going through WordPress and finding a free theme or buying one.

5. This isn't horrible though. It would work as a local business site but probably not on a large level.

Good luck!

chris1583
08-12-2013, 02:18 PM
The Pros:

1. It loads FAST! Some businesses do weird things with flash and other technologies that take forever to load.
2. It's enthusiastic.

The Cons:

1. I agree the color scheme is harsh. Maybe you can do something with the other colors on the site to keep your branding color of yellow?
2. Lots of all caps on the site. You might consider making the site easier to read by having 2 or 3 sections with H1 tags and a sentence or two underneath describing the heading.
3. The contact form seems overwhelming. Maybe just try and get some basic information so you can call the lead back and engage?
4. Maybe make notices a news / blog page that you can update with fresh content and advice, and make a services section that has a dropdown menu with the features / benefits page, FAQ, and lettter to merchants?

I hope this helps. Just thoughts from an average person.

Wozcreative
08-13-2013, 04:30 PM
Honestly it hurts my eyeballs. The text is not clean for me to read, everything is screaming at me.
I didn't even stay long enough to give you a good comb through.. my advice is to hire a professional designer.

nexxterra
08-16-2013, 11:59 AM
I would get rid of some of the text, it sounds like you are trying way to hard, get to the point and be clear...once.
Upon landing on the site it is very clear what you do, but there is nothing telling me what you want me to do, having a "call to action" above the fold (no scrolling is needed) is very important. Have an email sign up that once you do, an auto responder sends out a free check list of how to sell your own business email...

MarketSquirrel
09-03-2013, 11:39 AM
It doesn't look like a B2B site at all, more like you're hyping a Clickbank get-rich ebook.
Find a good B2B marketer and do a complete redesign.
I'm available, btw `;->

Dan Furman
09-03-2013, 10:06 PM
It doesn't look like a B2B site at all, more like you're hyping a Clickbank get-rich ebook.
Find a good B2B marketer and do a complete redesign.
I'm available, btw `;->

Don't do this.

Entreb
09-13-2013, 12:35 AM
The page is like an ad itself. I recommend making it more interactive. Put social media integration, Facebool, Twitter, etc. Also, try content marketing. Put a blog on it, and publish articles that will help and engage your audience or potential customers.

KaterinaM
09-20-2013, 03:26 AM
Being honest, the site looks like a spam. I would never read the info on it and would leave it without a delay.

mattchambers
09-21-2013, 04:51 PM
I'm in the web development industry and sites like this are dead.

These are sites created by people looking a quick buck so they chop something up within a few hours and throw it up in directories all over the web

What business owners with business websites don't know is that some visitors go right through the door when they see dull websites

this is why I encourage my clients whose websites I manage to keep upgrading designs, functionality and user interface