PDA

View Full Version : hello from florida

burner
06-24-2013, 02:46 PM
Hi, my name is Doug and iam just wanting to learn about what it takes to start a company/business. I have lots of questions. Just not sure where to post them.
should I form the company before I spend any money on a business, or does it matter in anyway.

billbenson
06-24-2013, 07:07 PM
I'm in FL as well.

As far as forming a business, it depends on what you are going to do. I sell stuff online. I registered a DBA or Fictitious Name with the state (sunbiz.org). That was about $20. You also will need to register a EIN which is just a business social security number with the IRS. I'm pretty sure that's free.

MyITGuy
06-24-2013, 08:25 PM
Another Florida person/company here as well.

I would personally suggest forming the company before any expenses (especially if they are major/capital expenses that you will need to depreciate over a period of time) as the costs are minimal compared to the time/effort and costs to do this after the fact.

The first step you want to take, is to find a good accountant/lawyer and use an hour of their time (or so) in order to determine the best way to start for your particular venture as everyone has different goals/needs, and they will likely be able to answer most/all of the questions you have as well as giving you some more to think about.

Gabe
06-27-2013, 10:49 PM
Welcome to the forum, Doug. It's good to have you.