PDA

View Full Version : Trying to decide on a FB page: "Artist..." or "Company..." page?

KJCarpenter
06-19-2013, 04:06 PM
Hello,

This is my first post. Last year I started a scientific/technical consulting business offering contract research in life sciences/chemistry, etc. as well as imaging/analysis with various types of microscopy/mass spectrometry, and preparation of scientific and technical reports, view graph presentations, dSLR photography, etc. My clients have thus far been from academia and industry, although I hope to obtain government contracts as well. I am interested in using FB to generate more business.

I also have a webpage ( kevinjcarpenter.com (http://kevinjcarpenter.com) ) with more info about my business and some of my other activities, interests, and a blog. I am advised by several people I trust (incl. the webmaster of a large university) that I should set up a FB page to direct people to my website and raise awareness of my business and my other (related) activities through my posts.

I have read several of the threads here and on other forums about using FB to promote a business, and am aware of the differing opinions as to its effectiveness, and the effort necessary to produce a result. I just want to try it out to begin. I will likely not post more than once or twice a week, but I have some very compelling images to attract people's attention. I have no plans to pay for ads at this point.

My photographs of microbes (taken with various electron microscopes, etc) have been attracting increasing attention and have been featured on eight scientific journal and magazine covers, and have also been featured in textbooks, newspapers, etc. Most recently, the Exploratorium (science museum) in San Francisco placed 11 of my images on permanent display as a large (4' x 12') installation in their life sciences gallery. Another exhibit is planned for the Beaty Biodiversity Museum in Vancouver BC starting in September. The images often receive very positive comments from scientists and laypeople alike.

So, here's where my dilemma comes in: In addition to promoting my consulting business, I would like to promote the images (and my dSLR photography) as well for future gallery exhibits, books, licensing (through stock libraries) etc. I would like to use these images to attract business for my consulting, but, given the highly specialized, technical nature of my business, I'm not sure a business page would be really effective. I think an "artist" page would be more accessible to more people, and would hopefully be seen by those in my field as well. (I am advised to link up with the folks at "I [expletive] love science!"). The images are novel enough, that I am not sure what potential others may see in them. I would actually like to attract attention from Nat. Geo, Discovery, and others who do documentaries, etc.

So, would you recommend an artist page, or a business page? Is it possible to have both? If so, which one would you start with, and do you think it is OK to have a lot of content overlap?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Kevin

vangogh
06-19-2013, 06:02 PM
Welcome to the forum Kevin.

The way to think about Facebook is it's one marketing channel to reach potential customers. Clearly a lot of people are on Facebook and use it all the time. That means people are there to be reached and it also means there are a lot of things competing for their attention to stand out. I think it makes sense to set up a Facebook page for your business and try to reach people there, but do know it's going to take more than just setting up a page to reach them. You'll want to spend some time on Facebook yourself (if you aren't currently there) and learn what does and doesn't work for your business.

I know at times I've said things that might give people the impression I don't think you should set up a Facebook page, but I've never thought that. I think some people make the mistake of thinking they only need a Facebook page and don't need anything else. It doesn't sound like you're planning that. I think you're doing this right. You're setting up a website and then looking to Facebook to help bring people to the site.

I'd bet an artist page will attract more people to it than a business page and in the end it shouldn't really matter to you what the page technically is. As long as it's working to bring people to it and then driving them to your site that's all that matters. Given that people love images and it sounds like you take some quality pictures that's the route I would go. Bring Facebook to your images and let people know they can find more of the same on your site.

Harold Mansfield
06-20-2013, 09:50 AM
Isn't an artist a profession? So it seems to me that by using an artist page, it's already a business page.
So use an Artist page.

broudie
06-20-2013, 11:17 AM
FB may be the wrong market if you're looking for awareness about your specific business. What about LinkedIn?

raygrau
06-25-2013, 06:57 PM
Hey KJ - I would go as a company page as you stated "Last year I started a scientific/technical consulting business" not a photography business shooting landscapes or portraits.

Build a site that has a corp feel and then you can add a "Gallery" section to promote what you do with your photos. That is still apart of your business you don't need to make it another business... Do you?

I hope that helps a little - no my personal opinion... Setup FB but I would recommend you look into Google+ and setting up your profile and your business page. There seems to more active people on there then just Facebook

Have a great day!

Ray

KJCarpenter
06-28-2013, 08:10 PM
Thanks for your advice folks.

Here is what I have for now. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kevin-J-Carpenter/138964026304204

I will likely post more photos and or links 2-3 times a week.

One thing I'm puzzling about--when I'm logged in, there is no way (as far as I can tell) to look up other people or pages. There is no search function anywhere. I do not have a personal FB page--does that limit the functionality/reach of my "Public figure/artist" page?

vangogh
07-02-2013, 11:59 PM
Kevin the page looks good. I really like the images. Definitely post more of them. It'll probably take some time, but it's easy to see how people will like your page and want to get updates. Are you using Instagram by any chance? I realize you wouldn't want to add filters on the images, but Instagram as a platform would likely be useful to grow a community around you.

Whenever you're logged in to Facebook there should be a search bar right at the top of the page. At least when on the site in a desktop browser. I would think the mobile apps have some kind of search built in too.

BrendaBlueDock
07-03-2013, 04:39 PM
Kevin, I liked your fb page, cool stuff. You should post your images on instagram and pinterest with link backs to your fb page. Also when you post a picture on fb only give teazer info about it and then send them to your website to get all the image details. PS make sure the link goes right to the image in question so fb's do not have to search for it. This will increase your website traffic and fb traffic.

KJCarpenter
07-03-2013, 06:41 PM
Thanks again for your comments. Strangely, there is no search bar at the top of my page, and apparently no way to search for anything or contact anyone. The only way I can actually search for something is to log out, go to a FB page I have bookmarked (or a link from a search engine), and then click the search function at the bottom of the page. I find this a very strange way for a social media page to operate. Is this due to the fact that I do not have a personal FB page? As with my website, I feel as if I'm in some little bubble floating out in space, and only people who have read my posts on forums, or who I've contacted via e-mail even know I exist. (I need to start up with SEO, but that's another story) I would like to contact I F*****g love Science to ask if they would post about my page, but I can't figure out how to do it.

I posted another scenic photo just now, but will definitely keep the scientific images/posts coming.

I will consider getting on Pinterest and/or Instagram, but for now I think I'll just stick to FB, LinkedIn, and my own page. I don't want to spend too much time on social media (I have no interest in Twitter).

Thanks
Kevin

Patrysha
07-03-2013, 07:46 PM
They have a quite public email contact address...I would put together a professional, but friendly sounding query out inviting them to check you out with a brief bio and statement of your goals/intentions. If you need help, I'm for hire...but it is really something most communicators can manage quite well on their own without a publicist.

Marina Lommerse
12-29-2015, 06:00 AM
Hello Kevin and network.
I have a simliar conundrum to Kevin. I have a new website (marinalommerse (http://www.marinalommerse.com)) that describes four areas of business that I conduct. I left a long term position as a Professor in a university 3 years ago, and I have transitioned my experience into these four offerings: Artist | Consultant | Design Mentor + Educator | Boisbuchet Fellow. These are alll around art, design, and capacity development of people and communities. I am a micro-business of one, I do exhibitions of my own work, and I collaborate on various projects.

MY QUESTION however is in regard to my FACEBOOK page. (https://www.facebook.com/marinalommerse/) I set it up about 15 months ago, when I was not sure of my direction, and I did not have a website-so I set it up initially under the BUSINESS banner. However, I find that it seems to mostly suit the artist / creative output of my four areas of business. So I am wondering if I should really change to the ARTIST banner. However I currently have over 100 followers, and wonder if I risk loosing them if I switch-and water is makes any difference anyway? Any advice would be very helpful.

My BIO is below, so you get a feel for who I am.

I am a visual artist — a painter and muralist. And I am an experienced designer, researcher and educator with a track record of mobilising projects in creative fields. In concert with my visual arts practice, I mobilise creative projects that promote positive change in communities.

I have a Bachelor of Interior Design and a Master of Design. In Canada and the UK, I ran interior projects with construction, furnishing and art budgets of up to 20 million dollars, and was the Founding Director of an award winning 15 person design office.

In Australia, at Curtin University I established and built the Interior Architecture Department, and established offshore programs in Singapore and Malaysia. My teaching, mentoring and program development skills were recognised when I was a finalist in the Australian Awards for University teaching. I have edited books, curated exhibitions and set up mentoring programs to develop visual arts and design practitioners.

Harold Mansfield
12-29-2015, 12:51 PM
MY QUESTION however is in regard to my FACEBOOK page. (https://www.facebook.com/marinalommerse/) I set it up about 15 months ago, when I was not sure of my direction, and I did not have a website-so I set it up initially under the BUSINESS banner. However, I find that it seems to mostly suit the artist / creative output of my four areas of business. So I am wondering if I should really change to the ARTIST banner. However I currently have over 100 followers, and wonder if I risk loosing them if I switch-and water is makes any difference anyway? Any advice would be very helpful.

Honestly it's not a huge deal to change the type of page you have and you don't lose your followers. Different page types have different functions, so it's really all about which has the things that you want and need to promote your thing to your audience.

Marina Lommerse
12-31-2015, 12:05 AM
Ok Harold. I want my FACEBOOK business page to be about my art. How do I change the type of page-without losing my followers?

Harold Mansfield
12-31-2015, 12:51 AM
Ok Harold. I want my FACEBOOK business page to be about my art. How do I change the type of page-without losing my followers?
You can't change the type of page, you can change the category by going to About->Page Info.

What the page is about is up to you. There isn't a special "Art" page. Maybe try the category "Brands and Products" and for the secondary category choose what fits best.
Regardless of what the page category is, what it's about is up to you and the content you put on it.

If you need custom pages/tabs you would have to have them built or build them yourself.

If you need to change the type of page, like say from a local business to an Artist...you can't do that yourself.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/create.php

You would have to create the new page type, with the same or similar name, start posting content and then ask Facebook to combine them.
You can only do this once, and there is no dependable time table on how long it takes them to do it, nor is it guaranteed that they will.

You can also try just asking them to convert it without having to start a new one.
Again, whether or not they will comply or respond in a timely manner is a total crap shoot, but I have been able to do it on more than one occasion for both myself and clients.

IMO, it's not worth it unless there is a specific functionality that a certain page type has, that you definitely need.