PDA

View Full Version : Play the movie game

Pages : [1] 2 3

vangogh
08-06-2008, 03:14 PM
On the old forum some of us were playing a movie game and having a lot of fun with it. We'd managed to keep the game going for close to two years and I see no reason why we shouldn't start it again here.

Rules of the Game
If you've ever played the game 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon you pretty much know the rules of the game.

Some starts with a move, picks an actor from the cast, and then picks another movie that actor was in. We generally also list the year of the movie since many times there's more than one movie with the same title.

Example:
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid => Paul Newman => The Sting (1973)

The next person in the chain would start with The Sting, pick a member of the cast, and then pick another movie with the cast member chosen.

Pretty simple

A Twist on the Game
Steve and I added a new wrinkle to keep the game interesting. Somehow we started keeping the movies in the 1930s. For a few months we've only chosen movies from the 30s and we've tried very hard not to repeat the name of an actor.

We'd like to continue in that fashion so in addition to the rules above the one additional rule is all movies chosen should be from the 1930s.

We also add a little information about why we chose a particular actor or movie and sometimes list some trivia. It's not technically part of the game, but it's fun.

I'll pick up the thread where we left off at the old forum in my next post.

vangogh
08-06-2008, 03:18 PM
Blondie Brings Up Baby => Arthur Lake => Topper (1937)

I went with Topper since it has a few well known cast members. I know we've mentioned some, but we can probably start again with cast members as having been mentioned 0 times since we're starting the game anew.

Arthur Lake is probably best known for his role as Dagwood in the Blondie series. His real name was Carl Laemmie and he was also the founder of Universal Pictures.

KristineS
08-06-2008, 03:57 PM
Topper (1937) - Cary Grant - Holiday (9138)

Cary Grant made two or three pretty funny movies with Katherine Hepburn. I think Holiday was one of them.

I'm playing the movie game again! YAY!

vangogh
08-06-2008, 04:33 PM
Holiday => Katherine Hepburn => Stage Door (1937)

Are you sure Holiday came out in 9138? How did you know it existed.

I had to pick Katherine Hepburn since she's one of my all time favorite actors. Everything I've ever seen her do was great. It's amazing how long her career lasted too. The first movie I see her listed in came out in 1932 and her last credit was a tv movie from 1994. Not bad to have a 62 year career.

Glad to have you back in the game.

cbscreative
08-06-2008, 04:57 PM
I'll gladly rejoin in this game, but I have to duck out for a few hours very soon and want to get some writing done. I'll be joining you here soon though.

KristineS
08-06-2008, 05:16 PM
Stage Door - Ginger Rogers - Top Hat (1935)

O.k. so I flashed forward far into the future on the last one.

I never was a big Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire fan but I did like to watch them dance.

vangogh
08-06-2008, 05:53 PM
Top Hat => Fred Astaire => Dancing Lady (1933)

Since it would have been easy to get caught in the Fred and Ginger trap and we don't want to repeat names I gave you a movie with an all-star cast.

Funny on your earlier dyslexic typing.

I love watching Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers movies. They could dance and it's fun to watch. I grew up watching old movies on late night tv and so many were from the 30s and 40s. Sometimes I feel like I know those stars of yesteryear better than the stars of today.

KristineS
08-06-2008, 09:22 PM
Dancing Lady - Clark Gable - Gone with the Wind (1939)

I'm with you, I still love watching old musicals. Gene Kelly was my favorite. Couldn't sing much but he was an awesome dancer.

Gone with the Wind was a great movie too. Viven Leigh was so gorgeous, and Clark Gable was so dashing.

orion_joel
08-07-2008, 02:10 AM
Gone with the Wind - Thomos Mitchell - Trade Winds (1938)

Well i hope i have gone along the right path here as i have not played this game before. But does sound like some fun.

KristineS
08-07-2008, 08:09 AM
Trade Winds - Ralph Bellamy - Carefree (1938)

Orien_Joel, you did fine. I'm glad you've decided to play

One of my favorite movies with Ralph Bellamy is His Girl Friday. Unfortunately, it came out in 1940, so it didn't make the cut.

cbscreative
08-07-2008, 11:37 AM
Carefree - Jack Carson - Crashing Hollywood (1938)

I think it might prove a greater challenge to not repeat actors or movies with the new pace of this game. One suggestion I would make is before posting a movie, try to be sure it leaves a decent selection of choices to keep us in the 1930's. I don't think that's a problem so far, but it's worth mentioning just in case.

vangogh
08-07-2008, 11:57 AM
Crashing Hollywood => George Irving => Captain January (1936)

I agree Steve. The old game had gotten down to just the two of us so we didn't need to announce what we were doing so much or repost rules.

We have been trying to leave the next person with a movie that has a good selection of choices in actors so we can connect things to another 1930s movie easily. That's part of the challenge, though it's not too hard.

So I left the next person with a certain curly haired tap dancing cherub and a country bumpkin who discovered Texas Tea (oil that is) on his property and our tvs in the 60s

KristineS
08-07-2008, 12:15 PM
Captain January - Guy Kibbee - Captain Blood (1935)

Well I left the next player with Errol Flynn or Olivia De Havilland. I expect someone can do something with that.

cbscreative
08-07-2008, 02:26 PM
Captain Blood - Olivia de Havilland - It's Love I'm After (1937)

I went with Olivia since, as vangogh and I discussed in the other game, she is the only principal cast member of Gone With the Wind still living (just turned 98 on July 1). Since we already used that movie, I chose It's Love I'm After which has some famous names, one of which is still very well known.

KristineS
08-07-2008, 02:39 PM
It's Love I'm After - Bette Davis - Dark Victory (1939)

Dark Victory has a former president in it. There are also some other famous names.

vangogh
08-07-2008, 04:10 PM
Dark Victory => Ronald Reagan => Cowboy from Brooklyn (1938)

I'm pretty sure Reagan's name never came up during the old game and being from Brooklyn myself I couldn't resist the movie title.

There's at least one other name that seems like she should be somewhat known based on the way my movie db displays her. The name is a little familiar to me, but I can't really place her. I did check and she has some other 30s movies so I know we can continue the chain.

cbscreative
08-07-2008, 04:48 PM
Cowboy from Brooklyn - Ann Sheridan - Car 99 (1935)

Plenty of names to choose from here, and at least one is very well known, but I recognized several names. I'm sure you're right that we never used Reagan's name in the other movie game, but we also knew that we had a long way to go to mention all the names that were either famous, or famous back then.

As we had talked about on that other thread, there are a LOT of these names from 30's flicks that were more known to us for characters they played in TV shows, especially shows of the 50's, 60's, 70's and even beyond. And Car 99 is loaded with some of those kind of names.

KristineS
08-07-2008, 08:44 PM
Car 99 - Fred McMurray - Sing You Sinners (1938)

This one has lots of famous musical people in it. So the next player should have lots of choices.

vangogh
08-07-2008, 09:42 PM
Sing You Sinners => Bing Crosby => Reaching for the Moon (1930)

Steve if we weren't sticking in the 30s we could have run through all the Road to movies again.

Reaching for the Moon has at least one very big name. We used him on the other board, but not yet here.

KristineS
08-08-2008, 09:03 PM
Reaching for the Moon - Edward Everett Horton - Bluebeards 8th Wife (1938)

There are some pretty big names in this one too. It should be easy for the next player.

cbscreative
08-08-2008, 09:13 PM
Bluebeards 8th Wife - David Niven - The Prisoner of Zenda (1937)

I chose Niven because he's fairly well known, and I don't think we used his name in the last version of our game either. The next player will also have plenty of choices, including one we did use last time who was born during the CIvil War and did not start his movie career until he was 65 and then made a lot of movies in the last 20 years of his life.

vangogh
08-08-2008, 10:01 PM
The Prisoner of Zenda => C. Aubrey Smith => Morning Glory (1933)

I was going to go with Douglas Fairbanks Jr. but then I remembered our conversation about C. Aubrey Smith and couldn't pass up the Civil War birthday boy. I did pick a movie that leads you back to the swashbuckler as well as some other famous names one of which we used here already.

Here's come trivia on Mr. Smith

C. Aubrey Smith was the inspiration for the Commander McBragg character on the "Tennessee Tuxedo and His Tales" (1963) cartoon TV show.Steve I'm guessing you remember Tennessee Tuxedo. If I'm remembering correctly Don Adams was the voice of the penguin.

KristineS
08-08-2008, 10:13 PM
Morning Glory - Katherine Hepburn - Bringing Up Baby (1938)

I had to go with Katherine Hepburn because I love so many of her movies. Bringing up Baby is hilarious and a classic. She and Cary Grant were so funny.

vangogh
08-09-2008, 12:44 PM
Bringing Up Baby => Cary Grant => Alice in Wonderland (1933)

Since you mentioned Cary Grant I figured I'd use him in the chain. I went with Alice in Wonderland, because I had no idea Cary Grant was in the movie. I've actually never seen the movie or read the book, but feel like I know the story since there are so many references to it in the culture.

It looks like there are a few famous people in the movie, though none play major roles. Maybe everyone already knew that, but since I didn't see I had no idea.

KristineS
08-09-2008, 01:39 PM
Alice in Wonderland - Ned Sparks - One in a Million (1936)

I own the Alice books, but I've never been crazy about any of the movie versions. The books are such fun and I never feel like the movies do them justice.

cbscreative
08-09-2008, 04:49 PM
One in a Million - Don Ameche - Happy Landing (1938)

One of the better known actors from Happy Landing was used in our now defunct version of the game, so the rules state that he is now fair game (I think we also used Don Ameche before too). Think Batman series in the 1960's and it will be his most famous role.

KristineS
08-09-2008, 04:53 PM
Since this was part of my function in the old game when I played, I thought I jump back in to it here. For those who might want to play along, here are the

Rules of the Game
If you've ever played the game 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon you pretty much know the rules of the game.

Some starts with a move, picks an actor from the cast, and then picks another movie that actor was in. We generally also list the year of the movie since many times there's more than one movie with the same title.

Example:

The next person in the chain would start with The Sting, pick a member of the cast, and then pick another movie with the cast member chosen.

Pretty simple

A Twist on the Game
Steve and I added a new wrinkle to keep the game interesting. Somehow we started keeping the movies in the 1930s. For a few months we've only chosen movies from the 30s and we've tried very hard not to repeat the name of an actor.

We'd like to continue in that fashion so in addition to the rules above the one additional rule is all movies chosen should be from the 1930s.

We also add a little information about why we chose a particular actor or movie and sometimes list some trivia. It's not technically part of the game, but it's fun.

KristineS
08-09-2008, 04:56 PM
Happy Landing - Ethel Merman - We're Not Dressing (1934)

Ethel Merman is best known for playing Mama Rose in Gypsy. She was good too.

I'm not sure who you were thinking of Steve. I'm not all that familiar with the Batman television series.

cbscreative
08-09-2008, 05:01 PM
It was Cesar Romero and he played Joker. That means his name is still up for grabs in a future post.

KristineS
08-09-2008, 05:09 PM
I thought it might be him, but I wasn't sure.

By the way, is there a rule that once you've used someone you can't use them again? How do you keep track of that? Also, I didn't see that refinement in the rules that Vangogh posted.

Just wondering.

cbscreative
08-09-2008, 05:22 PM
It's hard to keep track of, and we don't expect perfection, but we are trying to avoid repeating the same actors (or movies) since there are so many that we shouldn't need to. With the pace of the game, it's more challenging, but that is one thing we are striving for.

vangogh
08-09-2008, 08:17 PM
We're Not Dressing => Gracie Allen => A Damsel in Distress (1937)

I think I picked Gracie once before and used the same movie when I did. I have this strong sense of deja vu.

Kristine we've just been keeping track in our heads. The game got down to just the two of us which made it easier I think. You never had to scroll back to see all the names since you last posted. It's an unofficial rule, but it was an attempt to make things more challenging.

We were also looking at the other members of the cast to make sure the person after had a good choice.

KristineS
08-09-2008, 10:30 PM
A Damsel In Distress - Constance Collier - Stage Door (1937)

O.k., I just wanted to get clear on that. I have been looking at other cast members to ensure that whoever plays next has some choices. I just wasn't aware we were trying not to duplicate.

cbscreative
08-10-2008, 02:09 PM
Stage Door - Lucille Ball - Room Service (1938)

OK, the last time we had this theme, we developed a short sub theme until we had listed all the famous brothers who appeared in Room Service. Keep in mind that some of them only appeared in a few of the movies, and the other three went on to do many more movies together.

KristineS
08-10-2008, 03:21 PM
Room Service - Chico Marx - Animal Crackers (1930)

I was going to try to go with Ann Miller instead of one of the Marx Brothers, but she didn't do enough movies with big names in the '30s. Oh well.

vangogh
08-10-2008, 06:10 PM
Animal Crackers => Groucho Marx => A Night at the Opera (1935)

I'll go with one of the Marx brothers then and choose Groucho. Say the magic word and win $100.

"One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know."

"A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five."

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."

He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot

I'll be in town all week folks.

KristineS
08-10-2008, 10:01 PM
A Night at the Opera - Margaret Dumont - Anything Goes (1936)

Vangogh is a comedian!

I just didn't want to choose another Marx Brother. Margaret Dumont was the aristocratic lady in almost all their movies, so I thought she should be recognized.

vangogh
08-11-2008, 02:25 AM
Anything Goes => Charles Ruggles => Balalaika (1939)

No more Marx brothers movies? But I had so many more jokes to tell.

I went with Charles Ruggles because I liked his name. Only later did I discover he was the narrator of the Aesop's Fables segment on the Bullwinkle cartoon.

I went with Balalaika, because it's the only time I've heard the word outside the Beatles song Back in the U.S.S.R.

cbscreative
08-11-2008, 01:23 PM
Balalaika - George Tobias - The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1939)

George Tobias was not a name I recognized, but I did recognize what he was most famous for. He played Abner Kravitz on Bewitched. There's plenty of cast on Hunchback to choose from and at least one still famous (and living) actress.

vangogh
08-11-2008, 02:39 PM
The Hunchback of Notre Dame => Charles Laughton => Mutiny on the Bounty (1935)

I wouldn't have recognized the name either until you mentioned why I might know it. I took the easy route and went with the hunchback himself and connected to a movie with a rather well known name from the 30s.

KristineS
08-11-2008, 03:47 PM
Mutiny on the Bounty - Dudley Digges - The Invisible Man (1933)

I just couldn't resist the name Dudley Digges.

vangogh
08-11-2008, 04:30 PM
The Invisible Man => Claude Rains => The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)

Dudley Digges is a hard one to resist.

The entire Robin Hood legend is one of my favorite stories in all creation. I always loved the movie from the 30s and it's one I'll always stop to watch if I come across it clicking through the channels.

I think I have a think for swashbuckler movies.

KristineS
08-11-2008, 05:34 PM
The Adventures of Robin Hood - Basil Rathbone - The Hound of the Baskervilles (1939)

I was never a Robin Hood fan, but I always loved Sherlock Holmes, so I couldn't resist Basil Rathbone.

I think you have a thing for swashbuckler movies too.

cbscreative
08-11-2008, 07:42 PM
The Hound of the Baskervilles - John Carradine - The Three Musketeers (1939)

Another swashbuckler movie for you vangogh. John Carradine was in a lot of movies (B movies that is), and his name may not be well known now, except that his sons David and Keith are much better known. David is well known for the Kung Fu TV series.

KristineS
08-11-2008, 08:22 PM
The Three Musketeers - Gloria Stuart - Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm (1938)

Gloria Stuart played the older Rose character in the movie Titanic. She's been around for along time.

vangogh
08-12-2008, 10:32 AM
Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm => Randolph Scott => Supernatural (1933)

Three Muskateers was another story I always enjoyed. I did read most of Alexander Dumas' books including that one.

I have no idea why I went with Supernatural as a movie. Maybe forces larger than myself made me pick it. I did leave whoever picks next with a famous actress who died before her time. She signed her first Hollywood contract at the age of 12.

KristineS
08-12-2008, 11:37 AM
Supernatural - Carole Lombard - My Man Godfrey (1936)

Carole Lombard was married to Clark Gable. She died in a plane crash while returning for a appearance where she was selling war bonds, if I remember correctly.

cbscreative
08-12-2008, 11:39 AM
Supernatural - Carole Lombard - Twentieth Century (1934)

And this movie has another famous cast member who died the same year, though because of alcoholism rather than an accident. His last name is very famous as it seems the whole family is in show business.

cbscreative
08-12-2008, 11:39 AM
Whoops, two choices. I was wondering when that was going to happen.

vangogh
08-12-2008, 03:37 PM
My Man Godfrey => Alice Brady => Call it a Day (1937)

Alice Brady for the obvious Brady Bunch connection even if Alice wasn't technically a Brady. Call it a Day, because I'm tired and would like to call it a day. Not going to happen, but still it would be nice.

With more than 2 of us playing again it was bound to happen that two of us would post at the same time. I just chose the first movie since it was the first one.

KristineS
08-12-2008, 04:25 PM
Call It A Day - Anita Louise - Marie Antoinette (1939)

I saw Anita Louise and thought of Tina Louise.

vangogh
08-12-2008, 04:29 PM
Marie Antoinette => John Barrymore => Romeo and Juliet (1936)

Funny when I read Anita Louise in your chain my first thought was Tina Louise too. I guess we both watched too much Gilligan's Island.

My choices were to class things up. That's why John Barrymore and that's why a movie based on Shakespeare.

cbscreative
08-12-2008, 04:49 PM
Plus, John Barrymore was the one I was referring to in my post because he was also in Twentieth Century. I figured we would get a crossover post sooner or later. It takes a little time to do the research, enter the movie, and then add something for commentary. If someone else is playing at the same time, then the crossover is inevitable.

KristineS
08-12-2008, 05:32 PM
Romeo and Juliet - Leslie Howard - Pygmalion (1938)

Pygmalion is the play that the musical My Fair Lady is based on. Leslie Howard was also Ashely Wilkes in Gone with the Wind.

vangogh
08-13-2008, 05:05 PM
Pygmalion => David Tree => Return of the Scarlet Pimpernel (1937)

I had a feeling the next person was going to choose Leslie Howard, but I thought it might lead to Gone with the Wind.

Steve I must have been psychic or maybe I just picked up the cues from your post. It wasn't conscious though.

I thought the name David Tree was simple yet interesting and I left a famous name for the next person in line, though I think his main claims to fame come after his career in the 30s.

cbscreative
08-13-2008, 05:39 PM
Return of the Scarlet Pimpernel - James Mason - Prison Breaker (1936)

This movie has an actor with the same name as the James Bond creator. It's not the same guy, but I thought it was very interesting, and the actor by that name has a lot of 30's flicks.

KristineS
08-13-2008, 09:13 PM
Prison Breaker - Ian Fleming - The Lion Has Wings (1939)

With a name like Ian Fleming, how could I resist picking him? Apparently The Lion Has Wings was the first movie to be completed after the start of the World War II. There's one pretty famous name in it.

vangogh
08-14-2008, 02:01 AM
The Lion Has Wings => Merle Oberon => Wuthering Heights (1939)

Wild how we got James Bond into a 30s movie game, even if the connection wasn't quite real.

Lots of big names to choose from in Wuthering Heights.

KristineS
08-14-2008, 08:08 AM
Wuthering Heights - Laurence Olivier - Perfect Understanding (1933)

Laurence Olivier was married to Vivien Leigh for a while. She, apparently, was pretty nutty.

cbscreative
08-14-2008, 01:26 PM
Perfect Understanding - Gloria Swanson - Tonight or Never (1931)

This one has a famous horror actor that I don't think we've used here yet. I know we used him on the previous game, but sometimes I have trouble keeping track of which ones we have and haven't used here because we used so many there.

KristineS
08-14-2008, 02:34 PM
Tonight or Never - Boris Karloff - Son of Frankenstein (1939)

I had to use Boris Karloff. The next movie has another famous horror movie actor in it as well.

vangogh
08-14-2008, 06:03 PM
Son of Frankenstein => Bela Lugosi => Mark of the Vampire (1935)

I could have gone a couple of ways, but I went the Dracula route. Mark of the Vampire leaves the next person with another famous actor from a famous acting family. His brother found his way into our game a day or so ago.

Bela Lugosi attained the rank of Captain in World War I and his Los Angeles home was purchased by Johnny Depp.

KristineS
08-14-2008, 08:17 PM
Mark of the Vampire - Elizabeth Allen - Camille (1936)

I had to go with Elizabeth Allen once I saw she was in Camille. Who can resist Garbo?

"I vant to be alone!"

cbscreative
08-14-2008, 08:34 PM
Camille - Greta Garbo - Grand Hotel (1932)

OK, I chose Garbo, and there are plenty of choices from this movie for the next player.

KristineS
08-14-2008, 09:21 PM
Grand Hotel - Joan Crawford - The Women (1939)

Lots of big stars in The Women. This is a fun fact. In addition to the human cast, which was all women, every animal used in the film was also female. That's kind of weird.

vangogh
08-15-2008, 11:36 AM
The Women => Rosalind Russel => China Season (1935)

The movie choice was in honor of the current Olympics. I'm actually getting into them now.

I didn't realize, but a very famous quote about acting was from Rosalind Russel.

Acting is standing up naked and turning around very slowly.

I've heard that one quite a few times.

KristineS
08-15-2008, 12:21 PM
I'm guessing you meant China Seas, not China Season, Vangogh. Anyway, that's the one I'm going with.

China Seas - Jean Harlow - Bobshell (1933)

Harlow was the first actress on the cover of Life Magazine in 1937. That's the year she died.

cbscreative
08-15-2008, 04:27 PM
Bombshell - Una Merkel - Red-Headed Woman (1932)

I couldn't resist that title, my wife is a Red-Headed Woman. As it turns out, Jean Harlow was also in that movie too, so this also connects both of them. Yes, she did die young, only 26.

KristineS
08-15-2008, 04:34 PM
Red Headed Woman - Charles Boyer - Shanghai (1935)

Don't have any fun trivia for this one. For some reason the name Charles Boyer rang a bell though.

vangogh
08-15-2008, 08:57 PM
Shanghai => Loretta Young => Taxi! (1932)

Oops on the seas, season thing. That's what happens when you type before coffee.

Taxi! has one very famous name who I don't think we mentioned here yet. He can also lead us into a chain of gangster movies, which is always fun.

Loretta Lynn was named after Loretta Young and Loretta Young was the godmother of John Wayne's son Michael.

Here's a funny quote about her from Marlene Dietrich:

Every time she 'sins,' she builds a church. That's why there are so many Catholic churches in Hollywood.

KristineS
08-15-2008, 11:04 PM
Taxi! - James Cagney - Angels with Dirty Faces (1938)

Couldn't find any interesting trivia for this one. There are some big names in Angels with Dirty Faces though.

cbscreative
08-16-2008, 12:27 PM
Angels with Dirty Faces - Humphrey Bogart - Three on a Match (1932)

Unless I'm only thinking of our previous game again, I don't think we've used Bogart again yet. Three on a Match has a large enough cast that there are some good choices. As for interesting trivia, Bogart married Lauren Bacall (who is still living) and both have a throat disorder named after them. It is suffered by actors and radio personalities who speak in low voices. Bacall had to practice for months to get her trademark voice for the movie she starred in with Bogart.

And as vangogh and I discussed the last time, we both agree that Lauren Bacall was an exceptionally beautiful woman in her day. It's no wonder that Bogie married her even though she was 25 years younger.

KristineS
08-16-2008, 01:03 PM
Three on a Match - Anne Shirley - Stella Dallas (1937)

Anne Shirley was the name of the title character in the Anne of Green Gables books. Coincidentally, or maybe not, the actress Anne Shirley played Anne Shirley in the movie version of Anne of Green Gables.

vangogh
08-16-2008, 02:05 PM
Stella Dallas => Alan Hale => A Message to Garcia (1936)

I think Bogart was from the old game. I don't think we mentioned him here yet. And yes Lauren Bacall was very beautiful. I imagine she still is.

I had to go with Alan Hale for the connection to his son on that poor boat lost at sea. A three hour tour...a three hour tour. The look so much alike too. Plus he was in all those Errol Flynn swashbucklers.

A Message to Garcia has a couple of famous names I don't think we've used yet.

Kristine what are the odds Anne Shirley would play a character with the same name as her own and yet not be playing herself. It wouldn't surprise me if her name helped her get the role.

cbscreative
08-16-2008, 02:29 PM
A Message to Garcia - Barbara Stanwyck - Baby Face (1933)

This one has a VERY famous name who was appearing in movies from his start in 1926 until a few years before his death in 1979. I didn't count the ratio, but I'm sure most of his movies were westerns, and that's definitely what he's famous for. This name didn't come up the last time we played either, so it will be a total first.

As you're probably aware, Stanwyck is most famous for her role in The Big Valley television series, but also appeared on a couple of those nighttime soap operas during her later years in the 80's.

vangogh
08-17-2008, 03:00 AM
Baby Face => John Wayne => The Man from Monterey (1933)

I knew who you were talking about before even looking at the movie.

I picked the The Man from Monterey because in my movie database while John Wayne does have top billing, second billing was given to Duke, his horse. I thought it interesting to see a horse listed as a cast member and couldn't resist.

We're not talking about a hugely famous cast here (Duke did star in 5 other pictures), but I checked a few names and found enough 30s movies to know we can keep going.

I couldn't find any trivia about Duke the horse, but I did find something I didn't know about John Wayne. Apparently he:

Wore a toupee in every film from Wake of the Red Witch (1948) onwards. For some scenes towards the end of The Wings of Eagles (1957) he left it off in order to play his character in later life. Wayne's hairpiece can be seen to fall off during a fight scene in North to Alaska (1960).

KristineS
08-17-2008, 09:42 AM
The Man From Monterey - Lillian Leighton - There's Always Tomorrow (1934)

Poor Lillian, she was billed in several movies just as "The Fat Lady". That's kind of a bummer.

vangogh
08-17-2008, 03:01 PM
There's Always Tomorrow => Robert Taylor => Small Town Girl (1936)

Poor Lillian. Not the way you'd really like to be referred to.

Robert Taylor on the other hand was given the name Spangler Arlington Brugh at birth. I'm not sure that's the best way to be referred to either.

A couple of famous names for whoever goes next.

KristineS
08-17-2008, 04:16 PM
Small Town Girl - James Stewart - Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939)

I really wanted to use The Philadelphia Story for this, because I love that movie, but it missed the 30's requirement by one year. The Philadelphia Story was also made into a musical starring Bing Crosby, Grace Kelly and Frank Sinatra in the 50's. It was called High Society and it wasn't bad.

Some well known actors for the next player along.

cbscreative
08-17-2008, 06:38 PM
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Guy Kibbee - Captain January (1936)

I chose Guy Kibbee because he was in a lot of 30's movies, and I don't think we ever used him in either rendition of this game. It also leaves some famous names, including that poor mountaineer shootin for food who vangogh brought up earlier, but the name was not used yet. I could have easily chosen Charles Lane from the Mr. Smith movie, but decided to go with Guy Kibbee instead. Charles Lane we talked about in the other game because he just died last year, 6 months before he would have turned 102. I'm sure we'll get the chance to use his name again since he's not been used here yet.

KristineS
08-17-2008, 08:49 PM
Captain January - Sara Haden - Andy Hardy Gets Spring Fever (1939)

Apparently Andy Hardy got around quite a bit.

cbscreative
08-18-2008, 09:44 AM
Andy Hardy Gets Spring Fever - Mickey Rooney - Love Finds Andy Hardy (1938)

I see what you mean. I guess the Andy Hardy character was very popular. This movie leaves plenty of choices for the next player too.

vangogh
08-18-2008, 10:37 AM
Love Finds Andy Hardy => Judy Garland => The Wizard of Oz (1939)

It was hard to pick Judy Garland and not go for the Wizard. There's no place like home. There's no place like home.

Interesting trivia. On the day Judy Garland died there was a tornado in Kansas.

cbscreative
08-18-2008, 11:37 AM
The Wizard of Oz - Billie Burke - The Bride Wore Red (1937)

Billie Burke played the Good Witch of the North, so I decided not to go with the any of the better known cast members. You probably already know this, but Buddy Ebsen (whose name is still up for grabs in this game at some point) was originally cast as the Scarecrow but was alergic to the makeup.

Interestingly, Billie Burke was married to Florenz Ziegfeld of Ziegfeld Follies. He died in 1932 and in a 1936 movie about him, she did not play the role of herself. It was played by Myrna Loy, and I recall we used that name in our other game, but it too is up for grabs later in this game.

For the next player, there are some well known choices. I noticed that a Father Knows Best and Marcus Welby, M.D. star are among the options, and I'm sure that name has not been used yet.

KristineS
08-18-2008, 12:14 PM
The Bride Wore Red - Robert Young - Maisie (1939)

Who could resist Marcus Welby? And thanks to you, Vangogh, the Somewhere Over the Rainbow song will be going through my head for the rest of the day.

cbscreative
08-18-2008, 12:30 PM
And thanks to you, Vangogh, the Somewhere Over the Rainbow song will be going through my head for the rest of the day.
Yes, I had the same reaction.

KristineS
08-18-2008, 07:42 PM
Maisie is still the movie in play gentlemen.

I seem to bring this thread to a dead halt quite often. What's up with that?

vangogh
08-18-2008, 08:05 PM
Maisie => Ann Sothern => Fifty Roads to Town (1937)

What's wrong with Somewhere Over the Rainbow? There are worse songs to have running through your head all day.

Here's some interesting trivia. Ann Sothern's sister Marion was once secretary to Abibgal Van Buren (Dear Abby). What are the odds?

Also her paternal grandfather, Simon Lake, was the inventor of the modern submarine.

cbscreative
08-18-2008, 09:30 PM
Fifty Roads to Town - Slim Summerville - Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm (1938)

Slim may not be very well known, but an interesting name, and he had a lot of 30's movies, at least two of which where he appeared with the curly haired child star in this movie.

KristineS
08-19-2008, 10:24 AM
Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm - Randolph Scott - Follow the Fleet (1936)

I just love the old musicals. They're so much fun.

And Vangogh, just for the record, there's nothing wrong with Somewhere Over the Rainbow. It's just that the song can very easily get stuck in my head.

cbscreative
08-19-2008, 10:58 AM
Follow the Fleet - Harriet Hilliard - The Life of the Party (1937)

The Life of the Party was the only other 30's movie for Hilliard, but she was much better known as Harriet Nelson of Ozzie and Harriet.

KristineS
08-19-2008, 12:11 PM
The Life of the Party - Ann Miller - Radio City Revels (1938)

Ann Miller is another of my favorites from the musicals of the 40s and 50s. I especially loved her in Kiss Me Kate.

vangogh
08-19-2008, 07:20 PM
Radio City Revels => Kenny Baker => Mr Dodd Takes the Air (1937)

I went with Kenny Baker just because of the person with the same name playing playing R2-D2 in Star Wars. Not the same person of course.

This Kenny Baker didn't have a lot of movie credits. Seems more famous for radio, but I did find a movie with one famous name who should keep us in the 30s. She's famous for being an actress, but also for her marriages to a former president of the United States.

KristineS
08-19-2008, 08:39 PM
Mr. Dodd Takes the Air - John Eldredge - The Man With Two Faces (1934)

I know you meant Jane Wyman, but I had to be contrary and pick someone else. The Man With Two Faces has an actor who played a gangster many times.

vangogh
08-20-2008, 12:13 AM
The Man With Two Faces => Edward G. Robinson => Bullets or Ballots (1936)

That's ok if you didn't pick Jane Wyman. I like gangster movies anyone and think I picked an appropriate movie as we head closer to the election.

Something I didn't know about Edward G.

Edward G. Robinson was originally slated to play Dr. Zaius in Planet of the Apes (1968) but dropped out due to heart problems.

I saw Planet of the Apes as a kid and it has always been one of my favorite series of movies.

KristineS
08-20-2008, 08:11 AM
Bullets or Ballots - Joan Blondell - Gold Diggers of 1933 (1933)

This is a Busby Berkley musical. He loved a show and used lots of show girls and unique camera effects to record some great production numbers. It's actually pretty cool to watch.

cbscreative
08-20-2008, 01:03 PM
Gold Diggers of 1933 - Ned Sparks - 42nd Street (1933)

A lot of the same cast are in both of these two movies, so if you don't like who I picked, you get another chance to pick someone else. I guess Sparks was known for not smiling. It's not a reputation I would care to have though.

KristineS
08-20-2008, 05:29 PM
42nd Street - Ruby Keeler - Mother Carey's Chickens (1938)

Ruby Keeler is one of those names I know, but I don't know that I've ever seen any of her performances.

Also, a bit of trivia. Originally, RKO wanted Katharine Hepburn to star in this picture. She refused to do it, and bought out her contract so that she wouldn't have to. Guess it didn't hurt her career any.

vangogh
08-20-2008, 05:52 PM
Mother Carey's Chickens => Walter Brennan => Banjo on My Knee (1936)

Did I put the song in your head? :)

Walter Brennan had a nice long career. First credit I see is 1925 and the last is 1975.

He:

Hardly ever played the villain, usually being cast as the somewhat eccentric pal to the hero.

cbscreative
08-20-2008, 06:54 PM
Banjo on My Knee - Buddy Ebsen - Broadway Melody of 1938 (1937)

Yes, you did put a song in my head. Since we have skated around Buddy Ebsen's name a few times without using it, I decided to do that this time. This is a movie not only with a music theme, but another one of those with a year in the title that doesn't match the year the movie was released.

KristineS
08-20-2008, 09:22 PM
Broadway Melody of 1938 - Judy Garland -Babes in Arms (1939)

In Broadway Melody of 1938, Judy Garland sang to a picture of Clark Gable. The song she sang was one that had been written for Gable's 36th birthday and sung by Garland at his party.

vangogh
08-21-2008, 01:14 AM
Babes in Arms => Mickey Rooney => The World Changes (1933)

Funny Steve about the year thing. I almost picked one of those movies a few posts back. It's amazing how many movies had the date in the year and the date of release was one year off.

That's cool about the song Judy Garland sang. I bet she was able to draw emotion from the party while looking at the picture.

Mickey Rooney might beat all in the length of his movie career. The first credit I see is 1926. The latest one is a movie scheduled for release in 2009. So 73 years and still going.

He may also hold some kind of record in the marriage department with 8. He's been married to his current wife longer than all other 7 wives combined.

KristineS
08-21-2008, 08:15 AM
The World Changes - Paul Muni - The Good Earth (1937)

The Good Earth is a novel by Pearl S. Buck about the Chinese. When Paul Muni was cast in the lead role he said "I'm about as Chinese as Herbert Hoover."

cbscreative
08-21-2008, 10:53 AM
The Good Earth - Luise Rainer - The Great Ziegfeld (1936)

Wow, I just mentioned this movie a few posts ago, now I get to use it. Rainer only had three films to her credit in the db I use (doesn't mean she didn't have more though), and all of them were in the 30's. She's still alive too, and turning 99 in January.

That is a very long career for Roony too. I know he started as a child actor, but still a very long career.

KristineS
08-21-2008, 04:10 PM
The Great Ziegfeld - Ray Bolger - Rosalie (1937)

Ray Bolger is, of course, The Scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz. I didn't want to go back to that movie, however, as Steve had used it so recently.

This is also a Nelson Eddy movie without Jeanette McDonald. They starred in several movies together.

vangogh
08-21-2008, 08:09 PM
Rosalie => Nelson Eddy => Rose-Marie (1936)

From Rosalie to Rose-Marie, which is a Nelson Eddy movie with Jeanette MacDonald. I was afraid she might feel left out.

While we're familiar with Nelson Eddy the singer...

He was an accomplished sculptor, and often crafted bronze statues of his co-stars and directors. The statue he made of Susanna Foster was used in her film Phantom of the Opera (1943).

Oh and if Somewhere Over the Rainbow finds it's way into your head it's Kristine's fault this time since she brought up the Wizard of Oz this time around.

KristineS
08-21-2008, 09:34 PM
Rose - Marie - Lucien Littlefield - High, Wide and Handsome (1937)

I take full responsibility for Somewhere Over the Rainbow this time. Just consider yourself lucky that it isn't "If I Only Had a Brain", which considering I was talking about the Scarecrow would have been appropriate.

cbscreative
08-21-2008, 10:59 PM
High, Wide and Handsome - Dorothy Lamour - The Last Train from Madrid (1937)

I don't think we used Lamour yet again this time around, but there is one cast member here who is still pretty well known who was active in show biz until his death in 2001.

KristineS
08-22-2008, 08:12 AM
The Last Train from Madrid - Anthony Quinn - The Plainsman (1936)

Wow, Anthony Quinn had a really long career.

And this is sad, he had a son that drowned in W.C. Fields swimming pool when he was three.

cbscreative
08-22-2008, 12:04 PM
The Plainsman - Gary Cooper - If I Had a Million (1932)

I don't think we used Gary Cooper yet, but it's getting increasingly difficult to be sure. This was not deliberate, but I noticed that WC Fields is in If I Had a Million. There are other choices too, of course.

KristineS
08-22-2008, 12:21 PM
If I Had A Million - Frances Dee - Little Women (1933)

Little Women was one of my favorite books when I was a kid. I think I read all the Louisa May Alcott books. Frances Dee played Meg, the oldest sister, in this version of the movie.

vangogh
08-22-2008, 06:11 PM
Little Women => Joan Bennett => The Man Who Reclaimed His Head (1934)

There was no way I could pass up that title. Here's the plot:

A brilliant but impoverished writer, who is a pacifist, goes to work for a publisher and writes anti-war editorials. When he discovers that the publisher has betrayed him and is in league with munitions manufacturers to make money off of war, he goes insane.

Not what I was expecting based on the title.

Some trivia about Joan Bennett:

Finalist for the part of Scarlet O'Hara in the 1939 classic, Gone With The Wind. Vivian Leigh got the role at the last minute. However, the film's producer, David O. Selznick offered to cast her oldest daughter, Diana in the role of Bonnie Blue Butler, Rhett and Scarlett's daughter as a sort of consolation prize. Miss Bennett refused the offer. In reality, Diana, who was 11 years old at the time of the film's premier, was way too old for the role - the part called for a toddler.

cbscreative
08-22-2008, 06:29 PM
The Man Who Reclaimed His Head - Wallace Ford - My Woman (1933)

The only reason I chose Wallace Ford is that I've seen the name several times and decided to use it this time. My Woman does have several choices including an actor we talked about earlier who died last year at 101½ years old.

lav
08-22-2008, 11:06 PM
NOOOOOO!!!! youre playing it here too...?

cbscreative
08-22-2008, 11:08 PM
At least you don't have a countdown to worry about. LOL.

vangogh
08-23-2008, 12:12 AM
My Woman => Charles Lane => You Can't Take it with You (1938)

Steve we did start this thread on opening day. We could always say we're going to see if we can make it to our first anniversary just to give lav something to do. I know how important the countdown is to him.

Charles Lane may be better known for some of his tv roles, but he was in a lot of movies in the 30s. Most list him as uncredited so maybe he was an extra for the studios.

He also has a day named after him:

January 30th was named "Charles Lane Day" by the Screen Actors Guild in 2005.

KristineS
08-24-2008, 12:03 PM
You Can't Take it With You - Lionel Barrymore - Captains Courageous (1937)

He is, of course, the great uncle of Drew Barrymore. He also acted from a wheelchair from 1938 on due to arthritis and a hip injury.

vangogh
08-24-2008, 09:21 PM
Captains Courageous => Spencer Tracy => Riffraff (1936)

I like watching Spencer Tracy in anything. There was a talented actor. Riffraff has has a very famous actress who I don't think we've mentioned here or in the old game.

Here's some fun trivia:

His Best Actor Oscar for Boys Town (1938) is inscribed with the name "Dick Tracy."

He made 9 films with Katerine Hepburn and...

When he needed a break, he would often come back to Milwaukee and frequent the local watering holes. However, finding him proved to be an almost impossible challenge for Katharine Hepburn, because there are so many bars in Milwaukee.

KristineS
08-24-2008, 10:00 PM
Riffraff - Una Merkel - Some Like It Hot (1939)

For some reason I was thinking of the 1950s version of Some Like it Hot with Jack Lemmon, Tony Curtis and Marilyn Monroe. I love that movie. Too funny.

cbscreative
08-25-2008, 11:00 AM
Some Like It Hot - Bob Hope - Never Say Die (1939)

One of the cast members in this movie has the same name as a very famous radio personality. I checked, and he was in a lot of movies too, including the 30's. But the lead lady was pretty well known too.

vangogh
08-25-2008, 11:37 AM
Never Say Die => Paul Harvey => Private Number (1936)

I assume Paul Harvey was the name you were referring to so I picked him. Private Number has a few big names. I know we've already used one and possibly even two of them, but I think there will still be enough names to choose from famous or not so famous.

KristineS
08-25-2008, 12:09 PM
Private Number - Loretta Young - Four Men and a Prayer (1938)

Here's some trivia for you. Had an illegitimate daughter by Clark Gable. For years this was covered up in Hollywood, and was presented as an adoption. The daughter's resemblance to both parents is uncanny. The daughter Judy Lewis later dabbled in acting before becoming a psychologist. Judy Lewis wrote a book "Uncommon Knowledge" with the truth of her parentage.

cbscreative
08-25-2008, 01:57 PM
Four Men and a Prayer - Frank Dawson - The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (1939)

I'm not at all familiar with Dawson, but all the names I recognized have been used (I think they have anyway). Interestingly, his character in this movie is called Dawes. The star of this movie is famous for his role as Sherlock Holmes, and I don't think we've used his name yet.

KristineS
08-25-2008, 02:43 PM
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - Ida Lupino - Peter Ibbetson (1935)

Here's an interesting piece of trivia. As rigid and tough-minded as Bette Davis, Ida would often refuse to play a Davis hand-me-down role and was often suspended by Warner Bros. for doing so. It was during those breaks that she would go on movie sets, chum around with the male directors and learned the craft of directing. Blazing new trails, she became the only notable and respected female filmmaker of her era in Hollywood.

vangogh
08-25-2008, 08:21 PM
Peter Ibbetson => Ann Harding => Westward Passage (1932)

One very famous name who I don't think we've used here yet, unless I missed it.

I like that

Ann Harding didn't appear in a lot of movies like some of the performers of her day because she was very careful in choosing the roles she played. She was more concerned with quality rather than quantity.

Interesting about Ida Lupino. Hey if they won't let her be in their movie she'll just have to learn how to make a movie without them.

cbscreative
08-25-2008, 08:36 PM
Westward Passage - Laurence Olivier - Wuthering Heights (1939)

I think you're right that we didn't use this name yet. There are a few choices in this movie. None super famous, but one I keep seeing as a silent film star who was also successful with "talkies" which killed off a few silent film careers, and another one who had a role in the 60's The Man From U.N.C.L.E. series. There are other choices too.

KristineS
08-25-2008, 09:41 PM
Wuthering Heights - Geraldine Fitzgerald - Dark Victory (1939)

Bette Davis pestered Warner Brothers to buy the rights to the story, thinking it a great vehicle for her. WB studio chief Jack L. Warner fought against it, arguing that no one wanted to see someone go blind. Of course, the film went on to become one of the studio's biggest successes of that year.

vangogh
08-25-2008, 10:13 PM
Dark Victory => Geraldine Fitzgerald => The Ace of Spades (1935)

Not the most famous cast, but enough to keep us going in the 30s. And there's one cast member who made quite a few movies with Geraldine Fitzgerald.

I wanted to pick Humphrey Bogart from Dark Victory, but I couldn't remember if we'd mentioned his name yet and I was too lazy to look.

Steve I keep getting confused whether or not we mentioned someone here or in the old game.

I saw Dark Victory or at least parts of if when I was a kid. Guess the studio was wrong, huh?

KristineS
08-25-2008, 10:26 PM
I know I mentioned Geraldine Fitzgerald in the post before you mentioned her. Is that allowed?

cbscreative
08-25-2008, 10:45 PM
I think you're confused in more ways than one. Like Kristine said, you just double used Geraldine Fitzgerald. I do know what you mean though. Between the old game where we used a lot of names and movies, and the large number of entries here, it's hard to keep track.

KristineS
08-26-2008, 08:12 AM
The Ace of Spades - Michael Shepley - Goodbye Mr. Chips (1939)

Michael Shepley's role was uncredited in this movie. He had several roles that were uncredited. I imagine that would be kind of disheartening after a while.

cbscreative
08-26-2008, 11:48 AM
Goodbye Mr. Chips - Greer Garson - Remember? (1939)

Well, I'd say you paid tribute using his name here. This was the only other 30's movie for Greer Garson, but there are plenty of cast choices for the next player.

KristineS
08-26-2008, 12:21 PM
Remember? - Lew Ayres - State Fair (1933)

Director Henry King and crew were invited to the 1932 State Fair and Exposition in Des Moines, Iowa to film background material, including the racing scenes and midway. After the fair, they purchased three hogs, including the grand champion, Dike of Rosedale, who was cast as Blue Boy.

vangogh
08-26-2008, 02:58 PM
State Fair => Will Rogers => Business and Pleasure (1932)

The movie seemed to be a good choice given why we're all here.

Speaking of tributes Will Rogers has appeared on two postage stamps.

Pictured on a 3¢ US postage stamp in the Famous Americans series, issued 4 November 1948.

Pictured on a 15¢ US commemorative postage stamp in the Performing Arts and Artists series, 4 November 1979.

That's pretty impressive. Other than presidents I wonder how many people have been on two stamps.

cbscreative
08-26-2008, 03:22 PM
Business and Pleasure - Dorothy Peterson - Girls on Probation (1938)

Dorothy Peterson had a lot of 30's flicks, and several had interesting titles. This one was catchy too, I thought, then I see we have that former president who was also in the cast. That was brought up earlier, but we still haven't used his name yet that I recall.

KristineS
08-26-2008, 03:34 PM
Girls on Probation - Susan Hayward - Beau Geste (1939)

Film was honored on one of four 25¢ US commemorative postage stamps issued 23 March 1990 honoring classic films released in 1939. The stamp featured Gary Cooper as Beau Geste. The other films honored were Stagecoach (1939), The Wizard of Oz (1939), and Gone with the Wind (1939).

vangogh
08-27-2008, 01:25 AM
Beau Geste => Gary Cooper => A Farewell to Arms (1932)

I think we may have used Gary Cooper already, but oh well. I wanted to choose him and I did.

I remember watching Beau Geste as a kid and from watching it Gary Cooper became one of my favorite actors. He also stared in Pride of the Yankees, the story of my favorite baseball player ever, Lou Gehrig. I couldn't not choose him.

KristineS
08-27-2008, 08:07 AM
A Farewell to Arms - Helen Hayes - The White Sister (1933)

Helen Hayes had a career that spanned over 80 years. She mostly acted in the theater.

In 1958, she became the second performer to win the Triple Crown of Acting. Oscars: Best Actress, The Sin of Madelon Claudet (1931) and Best Supporting Actress, Airport (1970), Tony: Best Actress-Play, "Time Remembered" (1958), and Emmy: Best Actress of 1953.

vangogh
08-27-2008, 11:55 AM
The White Sister => Lewis Stone => Mata Hari (1931)

A couple more famous names to choose from, one of which I don't believe has been mentioned yet.

Helen Hayes also has a very famous theater names after her in New York.

This is kind of interesting about Lewis Stone.

He had a Lifetime Contract with MGM and appears in the Guiness Book Of World Records as "Artist With The Longest Contract To One Studio." He signed with MGM in 1924 at the very start of MGM and remained with them as a contract player until his death in 1953. A total of 29 years.

KristineS
08-27-2008, 12:09 PM
Mata Hari - Blanche Friderici - It Happened One Night (1934)

I thought this was funny: While shooting the scene where he undresses, Clark Gable had trouble removing his undershirt while keeping his humorous flow going and took too long. As a result the undershirt was abandoned altogether. It then became cool to not wear an undershirt which resulted in a large drop in undershirt sales around the country. Legend has it that in response, some underwear manufacturers tried to sue Columbia.

cbscreative
08-27-2008, 02:13 PM
It Happened One Night - Walter Connolly - The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1939)

I'm pretty sure we used It Happened One Night already. Oh, well. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn has an I Love Lucy star who I don't think we used in this version of the game here yet.

Funny story on the undershirt (unless you were an undershirt maker). I wonder if they really tried to sue. These days, a suit like that could even win.

KristineS
08-27-2008, 02:53 PM
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - William Frawley - Bolero (1934)

Is there a rule that we can't use movies again either? I thought it was just we couldn't duplicate actors.

cbscreative
08-27-2008, 03:00 PM
We're trying to avoid duplication, but it's getting increasingly difficult keeping track. If we get duplicates, oh well, but it's best if we try not to. There are a LOT of both movies and actors to keep us in the 30's for a long time. We'll probably move to the 40's eventually, but that could be weeks away.

Since vangogh and I had this version of the game for a while on the old SBF, it's even harder for us to be sure if we used it here or not.

vangogh
08-28-2008, 02:56 AM
Bolero => George Raft => Rumba (1935)

We were trying not to duplicate anything, but it does get hard and I'm having a hard time keeping up with who we haven't mentioned here since we did mention so many on the old game. It was also easier on the old thread since it had gotten to where only Steve and I were playing and we were usually just posting once a day.

I guess lets try not to duplicate, but don't agonize if you do end up picking someone or a movie that's already been used. Sooner or later we're going to have to. Maybe in time we'll move the game into the 40s too.

Speaking of George Raft, here's something interesting. He was born and raised in Hell's Kitchen in New York and

Was a close friend of notorious gangster Benjamin Bugsy Siegel since their childhood in New York. Siegel actually lived at Raft's home in Hollywood for a time while trying to make inroads for organized crime within the movie colony

KristineS
08-28-2008, 10:03 AM
Rumba - Soledad Jimenez - Kid Galahad (1937)

I think moving the game to the forties at some point would be fun. There were a lot of great movies in the forties.

cbscreative
08-28-2008, 11:28 AM
Kid Galahad - Edward G. Robinson - Two Seconds (1932)

Yes, it is harder keping track of all the names. Edward G. Robinson is a good example. I know we used him in the other game, but I don't think we have here, though it seems like we might have. Two Seconds doesn't show a huge cast in my db, but the other lead cast member does have plenty of 30's flicks.

I think we'll get to the 40's eventually, but I also think we have a long way to go before the 30's gets too difficult to keep playing. When I look at the running times, these movies are much shorter, but the studios made a lot of them. I've also noticed that many of the actors have 3 or 4+ movies released in the same year, and sometimes dozens (even scores) in the decade.

KristineS
08-28-2008, 12:26 PM
Two Seconds - Preston Foster - Annie Oakley (1935)

I think the easiest way to keep track of the names is to try to use lesser known actors when possible. They don't turn up as often, so they don't get used as often.

They sure did make a lot of movies in the 30s. Makes you wonder about their quality a bit.

vangogh
08-28-2008, 07:57 PM
Annie Oakley => Melvyn Douglas => Teodora Goes Wild (1936)

Yeah I think it will be awhile before we run into problems picking 30s movies, especially if we relax the rules about not repeating.

Kristine would you believe that Steve and I went a couple of months where we pretty much picked the most famous actors in every movie and still we didn't repeat anyone. I think we were both surprised at how many times we'd come across someone very famous that we hadn't mentioned.

Steve it's true about the old movies. I guess when you don't need to include the latest special effects in every movie you can create them a lot quicker.

Older movies were more about the story. Not that they were all good, but the focus wasn't on the technical things supposed to enhance movies, not be movies. The last few years I've seen movies that were nothing but special effects with no story whatsoever. Might as well have just watched the making of the movie instead of the movie itself.

cbscreative
08-28-2008, 08:51 PM
Theodora Goes Wild - Thomas Mitchell - Lost Horizon (1937)

Mitchell was most famous for a role in Gone With the Wind. Yes, it's amazing how lonng you can go without repeats and still stay in one decade, plus still have famous names not yet used. Lost Horizon has a cast member famous for Father Knows Best, but unfortunately, this was her only 30's flick. This may be lesser known, but she also played Spock's mother on both the 60's Star Trek series, and on the big screen in ST IV: The Voyage Home. I think ST4 was probably the best of all the ST movies, but I also enjoyed 2, 3, and 6 quite a bit too, along with the newer ones with the Next Generation crew.

KristineS
08-28-2008, 08:58 PM
Lost Horizon - Jane Wyatt - Great Expectations (1934)

I think you were thinking of Jane Wyman not Jane Wyatt, Steve.

Later in life she played the mother in "Father Knows Best".

cbscreative
08-28-2008, 09:13 PM
Yep, I realized my error and corrected the post, but I got busted before it was corrected apparently. My DB did not show any other 30's flicks for her either, but that's not unusual since it is not all inclusive for info.

vangogh
08-29-2008, 02:25 AM
Great Expectations => Phillips Holmes => The Criminal Code (1931)

I was wondering how you made the Star Trek connection and now I find out it wasn't really a connection at all. I almost made the same Wyman/Wyatt mistake a few pages back. I decided not to post since I had a feeling it wasn't right.

Now tell me Phillips Holmes is not a stately name. It certainly has an air or royalty about it.

KristineS
08-29-2008, 08:12 AM
The Criminal Code - Constance Cummings - Strangers on Honeymoon. (1936)

Phillip Holmes is a very stately name Vangogh.

Wow, Constance Cummings was married to the same man for 40 years. In Hollywood that's pretty rare, even back then.

vangogh
08-29-2008, 12:58 PM
Strangers on Honeymoon => Noah Beery => Man of the Forest (1933)

40 years is a long time for non Hollywood marriages too.

Noah Beery is the brother of Wallace Beery. I think Wallace is the more famous of the two. Noah often played villains and actually dies in the arms of brother Wallace, on Wallace's birthday no less.

At the time of his death, he had been vacationing and had been scheduled to appear that night on the radio show "Barnacle Bill" with Wallace and his daughter Carol Ann. Despite Noah's death, the show went on, Wallace and Carol Ann playing their parts as planned, and another actor brought in to take over Noah's role.

cbscreative
08-29-2008, 01:27 PM
Man of the Forest - Barton MacLane - Page Miss Glory (1935)

Barton MacLane is another one of those names I know we used on the old game, but don't think we have here yet. He is best known for his role in the 60'a TV series, I Dream of Jeannie. As we were talking about the number of movies made by actors in the 30's decade, MacLane has 52 that I saw listed.

As soon as I saw you use Noah Beery's name, I immediately thought of Wallace, but it's because I've seen his name so many times. It's interesting when you've played this game in the 30's for as long as we have, I'm now recognizing a lot of names where I knew nothing about them before. Just for reference, I checked Wallace Beery, and saw 30 movies listed for the 30's.

KristineS
08-29-2008, 02:50 PM
Page Miss Glory - Marion Davies - Ever Since Eve (1937)

Marion Davies is better known as the lover of William Randolph Hearst. They never married but she was with him for 30 years.

vangogh
08-30-2008, 01:53 AM
Ever Since Eve => Robert Montgomery => Hell Below (1933)

We may have used Robert Montgomery here already. I can't remember anymore. Steve I think you're right about Barton MacLane. I think you might have mentioned the I Dream of Jeannie connection too. Was he General Peterson?

Kristine I did not know that about Marion Davis and William Randolph Hearst, though can't say I know all that much about either of them individually.

Robert Montgomery:

Was widely considered to be one of the best dressed men in Hollywood and for years did not carry a wallet because it ruined the drape of his suits.

KristineS
08-30-2008, 10:14 AM
Hell Below - Walter Huston - Ann Vickers (1933)

Walter Huston is the father of John Huston and the grandfather of Angelica Huston.

There are three generations of Oscar winners in the Huston family: Walter, his son John Huston and his granddaughter Anjelica Huston. They are the first family to do so, the second family were the Coppolas - Francis Ford Coppola, Sofia Coppola, Nicolas Cage and Carmine Coppola.

cbscreative
08-30-2008, 12:48 PM
Ann Vickers - Irene Dunne - Joy of Living (1938)

I know we've used the main cast members from this one already, but I saw enough names that appear in several other 30's flicks, it will be easy enough for the next player.

Yes, MacLane was General Peterson, which I definitely talked about in the old game, but I'm pretty sure his name was not mentioned here until now. Just like in this game, we noted there how so many of these 30's movie actors became famous later for TV roles. Every once in a while, I even see credits for recent shows from this decade.

I don't think we used Kitty Carlisle yet in this game, but she is one example. Although not very well known as a movie actress (only 9 that I see in her entire career, 4 of them in the 30's), and her real love was singing on Broadway, she is best known as a panelist on the To Tell the Truth game show. She was in every incarnation of it from the 50's on up through 2002.

vangogh
08-30-2008, 12:56 PM
Joy of Living => Lucille Ball => Room Service (1938)

I know we mentioned Lucy in the old game, but don't think her name has come up here yet. Room Service sends us back to the Marx Brothers, but I don't think we went through them all yet.

I don't think we had mentioned MacLane here either, but I do remember the name from the last game.

I remember Kitty Carlisle from To Tell the Truth. As a kid I had no idea who she was except for that game. Years later I realized she'd had a long career before the game.

As for Lucille Ball:

In 1968 she was reported to be the richest woman in television, having earned an estimated $30 million.

KristineS
08-30-2008, 01:06 PM
Room Service - Frank Albertson - Navy Blue and Gold (1937)

I wasn't in a Marx Brothers mood I guess.

Frank Albertson entered the film industry in 1922 as a prop boy, but soon graduated into acting. He was a prolific and reliable character actor who occasionally played the lead in a "B" picture, but was used mainly as a supporting actor in scores of films, often cast as a wisecracking cab driver, a cop or a reporter.

cbscreative
08-30-2008, 01:42 PM
Navy Blue and Gold - Jimmy Stewart - Small Town Girl (1936)

We might have used Jimmy already, I'm not sure. Many of the other movies Stewart was in have a lot of names, but I knew we've used quite a few of them, so I chose Small Town Girl for a cast with names we haven't used.

KristineS
08-30-2008, 04:22 PM
Small Town Girl - Elizabeth Patterson - The Cat and the Canary (1939)

Selected by writer Booth Tarkington personally to perform in his Broadway production of "The Intimate Strangers" in 1921.

Miss Patterson was also asked by novelist William Faulkner to play the elderly female lead in the movie made of his book, "Intruder In the Dust."

KristineS
08-31-2008, 10:23 AM
So how is it that I so often bring the movie game to a screeching halt? I'm just wondering.

vangogh
08-31-2008, 11:08 AM
The Cat and the Canary => Bob Hope => College Swing (1938)

I can't speak for Steve, but I know I enjoy this game more when I only play once or maybe twice a day at most. So I tend not to reply to it all the time. Towards the end at the old game we each were really only posting once a day (occasionally we'd play twice), but we were filling up the posts with more info about a movie or specific actor or actress.

Speaking of more info College Swing has quite a few famous names, mostly comic.

Some Bob Hope trivia you may or may not know:

He entertained 11 different Presidents, beginning with Franklin Delano Roosevelt and ending with Bill Clinton.

He change his name from Leslie to Bob, because in school they would call the roll as 'Hope, Leslie' and classmates shortened it to hopeless.

Has a ship named after him: USNS Bob Hope.

At 69 years, his marriage to Dolores Hope holds the record for the longest Hollywood marriage.

KristineS
08-31-2008, 02:26 PM
College Swing - Betty Grable - Million Dollar Legs (1939)

20th Century-Fox, who had her under contract, insured her legs with Lloyds of London for a million dollars.

O.k., I see now. I guess we need to add more people to the game.

cbscreative
09-01-2008, 11:54 AM
Million Dollar Legs - Donald O'Connor - Men with Wings (1938)

This movie has many cast members well known at the time, but one in particular stands out because he is still fairly well known, and mostly as the dad on My Three Sons in the 60's.

And in response, yes, I'm also more prone to one or two posts per day in this thread. So far, we don't have many players, but I enjoy the game just as much. You actually learn some interesting things even if it doesn't have any serious impact on life.

vangogh
09-01-2008, 12:20 PM
Men with Wings => Fred MacMurray => The Gilded Lily (1935)

The Gilded Lily has a few familiar names. Some we've mentioned and some I think we haven't. There's an actress in the movie who had a long career (60 years). She was nominated for oscar, emmy, and golden globe, among others and took home two of the above. And yet I'd be lying if I said I knew much about her career.

I don't mind when the game is small either. I don't think there's any reason why this thread needs lots of posts to keep it going. If each of us plays one and some days twice each day we keep it going. If more people want to play that's fine, but I'm not worried if they don't either.

You probably remember Fred MacMurray most as the father on My Three Sons. A bit of fun about the show:

When offered the job as the dad on "My Three Sons" (1960), he was given a dream contract in which he only had to work 65 days a year on the series. The supporting cast, as a result, often had to shoot their scenes opposite a prop person off camera instead of Fred. The popular series ran 12 seasons.

KristineS
09-01-2008, 12:54 PM
The Gilded Lily - Claudette Colbert - Under Two Flags (1936)

Claudette Colbert's character in Under Two Flags was named Cigarette. That's kind of odd.

vangogh
09-02-2008, 11:26 AM
Under Two Flags => Ronald Colman => Lost Horizon (1937)

That is an odd name for a character.

Lost Horizon doesn't have a huge cast that I could see and the names aren't too famous, but there should be a number of connections to other 30s movies.

An interesting quote from Ronald Colman

Fame has robbed me of my freedom and shut me up in prison, and because the prison walls are gilded, and the key that locks me in is gold, does not make it any more tolerable."

I guess he wasn't crazy about his fame.

cbscreative
09-02-2008, 02:32 PM
Lost Horizon - Edward Everett Horton - Little Big Shot (1935)

I never knew that MacMurray had such a sweet deal in the My Three Sons show.

Edward Everett Horton was apparently famous as a comedy actor in the 30's and although the cast for Litttle Big Shot doesn't appear to have names we would be real familiar with, it will be easy to stay in the 30's. I did notice that Horton did the narration for Fractured Fairy Tales in The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show from 1961 until is death in 1970.

KristineS
09-02-2008, 03:14 PM
Little Big Shot - Glenda Farrell - Go Into Your Dance (1935)

I had to use Glenda Farrell because my Mom's name was Glenda. It's pretty rare to find another one.

In most movies, she only had supporting roles, but she's best remembered as a hard-boiled, fast-talking (she was able to speak 390 words in a minute) reporter Torchy Blaine in the film series of the same name.

vangogh
09-03-2008, 02:17 AM
Go Into Your Dance => Al Jolson => Thoroughbreds Don't Cry (1937)

I couldn't pass up the man who's voice was the first ever heard in a motion picture.

I didn't realize Fred MacMurray had such a sweet deal either. I guess when you think about it My Three Sons mostly featured the kids and Uncle Charlie.

Kristine I can see why you had to choose Glenda. Not the most common name either.

Ok now here's something you don't come across every day. Al Jolson:

Has one of the most elaborate burial sites in the USA. It is so large that it can be seen from the 405 (San Diego Freeway) in Culver City. The memorial which is central to the entire park consists of a large canopy supported by six enormous white stone columns with a series of terraced blue tiled cascading waterfalls. Beneath the canopy is Mr. Jolson's black marble sarcophagus and to the side a three foot bronzed statue of the entertainer which is in his famous kneeling position - the "Mammy pose". The ceiling of the canopy has a large mosaic of Moses holding the Ten Commandments. Cascading next to the waterfalls various flowers, shrubs and trees enhance this already magnificent burial site. There is also a marble meditation bench where you can sit and take in the breathtaking splendor of the Jolson memorial as well as the beautifully manicured grounds of Hillside Memorial Park.

KristineS
09-03-2008, 08:18 AM
Thoroughbreds Don't Cry - Sophie Tucker - Broadway Melody of 1938(1937)

Well, Sophie Tucker didn't make a lot of movies, but at least the one other one she was in during the 30's has lots of people in it.

By the way, Sophie Tuckers nickname was "Last of the Red Hot Mamas".

cbscreative
09-03-2008, 10:10 AM
Broadway Melody of 1938 - Billy Gilbert - Pack Up Your Troubles (1932)

OK, this movie has a very famous comedy duo in it whose names have not been used yet. Personally, I think the next two players should each choose one so we use them both together and avoid confusion later if we only used one of them and had to remember which one. I went with Gilbert as the actor because I know we used Judy Garland, and I think we finally used Buddy Ebsen at some point, though we skated around hs name several times without using it.

vangogh
09-04-2008, 01:18 AM
Pack Up Your Troubles => Stan Laurel => Be Big! (1933)

You know I don't remember using Laurel and Hardy on the old game either. Not that it would surprise you, but Stan Laurel's character in most of their movies was...wait for it...Stanley.

I tried to pick a movie that had more than a few cast members, just in case the next person doesn't want to make the obvious choice.

Wow they made a lot of movies in the 30s. If I counted right it was 67 movies in the decade.

Here's something interesting about Stan Laurel

His light blue eyes almost ended his movie career before it began. Until the early 1920s, filmmakers used black-and-white Orthochromatic film stock, which was "blue blind." Hal Roach cameraman George Stevens (the same George Stevens who would later become an acclaimed producer/director) knew of panchromatic film and was able to get a supply of it from Chicago. This new film was sensitive to blue and recorded Laurel's pale blue eyes in a more natural way. Stevens became Laurel's cameraman on his short films at Roach. When Laurel teamed with Oliver Hardy, the team made Stevens their cameraman of choice.

KristineS
09-04-2008, 09:48 AM
Be Big - Oliver Hardy - Babes in Toyland (1934)

Sounds like this film was a taxing project for everyone. Listen to this list of injuries.

Stan Laurel fell off a platform and tore ligaments in his right leg. Henry Brandon was injured in a bar fight at the Brass Rail. Assistant director Gordon Douglas slid 15 feet from the top of the Old Woman's Shoe and tore ligaments in his left leg. Kewpie Morgan's part as Old King Cole called for him to laugh continuously - after two days, he ruptured muscles in his stomach. Oliver Hardy entered St. Vincent's Hospital to have his tonsils removed the day after filming wrapped, and Hal Roach developed appendicitis.

cbscreative
09-04-2008, 01:32 PM
Babes in Toyland - Marie Wilson - Boy Meets Girl (1938)

Wow, that's quite a list of injuries. Boy Meets Girl seems like an often used title, but this one also has several cast members not yet used here. I still don't think we ever used our 40th President's name yet, and there is another very famous name that I don't recall being used either. I also noticed that an actress most famous for Blondie is in the cast, and I know there were a lot of Blondie movies in the 30's.

Ad-Vice_Man
09-04-2008, 01:38 PM
Can we bring this back into the last 5 decades or so?

vangogh
09-05-2008, 12:58 AM
Boy Meets Girl => James Cagney => The Public Enemy (1931)

Ad-Vice_Man we changed the rules. It's 30s movies only now.

We may have used James Cagney in the game already, but he's one of my all time favorites and I specifically wanted to take things to The Public Enemy. My brother and I watched the movie about 35 years ago and it brings back memories.

I bet you didn't know that:

Cagney's first job as an entertainer was as a female dancer in a chorus line.Who'd a thunk it?

You've probably heard someone imitating Cagney use the line "You dirty rat" at one time or another. Well...

Though most Cagney imitators use the line "You dirty rat!", Cagney never actually said it in any of his films.

KristineS
09-05-2008, 08:10 AM
The Public Enemy - Edward Woods - Tarzan the Fearless (1933)

Woods was originally playing the lead in The Public Enemy, with James Cagney playing the second lead, but after viewing dailies, the director switched the actors and Cagney became a star.

cbscreative
09-05-2008, 12:55 PM
Tarzan the Fearless - Buster Crabbe - You're Telling Me! (1934)

Crabbe was most famous for his role as Flash Gordon, but I noticed something else that is interesting in Hollywood. He married the same year as the Tarzan the Fearless movie (1933) and remained married till death did them part (his death) in 1983, making 50 years.

He apparently must have been the ideal Flash Gordon because he was an Olympic winner:

Olympic Bronze Medal (1928 for 1500 Meter Freestyle)
Olympic Gold Medal (1932 for 400 Meter Freestyle)

Ad-Vice_Man
09-05-2008, 03:52 PM
aha well that would explain it.. I guess I can't play since I wasn't born for another 40 years and cheating by going to IMDB isn't any fun.

cbscreative
09-05-2008, 04:20 PM
We're all using databases. It's not cheating, the rules allow it. Besides, this 30's theme has proven interesting. None of us are real familiar with 30's stars (most of them anyway), but it's interesting how many of them that were actively making movies in the 30's became well known for TV shows in the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, and beyond.

A few examples of this are: Buddy Ebsen (Beverly Hillbillies), William Frawly (I Love Lucy), Fred MacMurray (My Three Sons), Milburn Stone (Gunsmoke), Robert Young (Marcus Welby, M.D.), and many others who I can't think of names for, but they played characters on TV shows like I Dream of Jeannie, The Man From U.N.C.L.E., and Bewitched.

Knowing this stuff could win you merit points at the SBF water cooler.

vangogh
09-05-2008, 10:46 PM
You're Telling Me! => W.C. Fields => If I Had a Million (1932)

Yeah, we're all using databases. Did you think we knew this many movies?

We never did get to W.C. Fields in the other game did we? We kept mentioning him as someone we hadn't mentioned, but I don't remember if he ever found his way into the game.

I really wanted to pick the movie The Fatal Glass of Beer, because the title was too interesting to pass up, but the cast was small so I went with If I Had a Million instead. Several big names there.

Lots of great W.C Fields quotes, mostly about his fondness for alcohol:

'Twas a woman drove me to drink. I never had the courtesy to thank her.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then give up. No use being a damned fool about it.

A rich man is nothing but a poor man with money.

I remember Shakespeare's words because he was a great writer. I can't remember Hollywood lines; just as I may well recall a wonderful meal at Delmonico's many years ago, but not the contents of the garbage pail last Tuesday at Joe's Fountain Grill.

And my personal favorite.

[when asked what he would like his epitaph to read] On the whole, I'd rather be in Philadelphia.

which comes after a lifetime trashing the city of Philadelphia.

KristineS
09-05-2008, 11:35 PM
If I Had A Million - Charles Laughton - The Private Life of Henry VIII (1933)

Gee, they were doing The Tudors 75 years ago. That's kind of interesting. Although I bet their version was a lot less graphic then the version on Showtime.

vangogh
09-07-2008, 02:20 PM
The Private Life of Henry VIII => Robet Donat => The 39 Steps (1935)

Thought I'd take us to a Hitchcock flick. I never have seen The 39 Steps, though.

Kristine, I'm sure the 1933 version is less graphic. I'm not surprised though that they were making movies about the Tudors back then. History is always a source of inspiration for movies regardless of how recent or distant. They were making movies about Vietnam very shortly after the conflict ended and probably will be making movies about it a long time into the future.

I can't say I'm all too familiar with the career of Robert Donat, but I thought this bit of trivia interesting and quote fitting.

His last words on screen are: "We shall not see each other again, I think.".

KristineS
09-07-2008, 03:11 PM
The 39 Steps - Madeleine Carroll - The Prisoner of Zenda (1937)

She was the first of Alfred Hitchcock's "ice-cool blondes", and was the highest-paid Hollywood actress of her time.

Evan
09-07-2008, 03:59 PM
The Prisoner of Zenda (1937) - Mary Astor - Return of the Terror (1934)

cbscreative
09-07-2008, 05:20 PM
Return of the Terror - Lyle Talbot - Trapped by Television (1936)

Good job, Evan. For someone who hasn't played yet, you aligned very well with the rules. I don't think we used Mary Astor yet.

I was intrigued by this title since they didn't have television in the 1930's. I believe it was the 1939 World's Fair where they unvieled the first one, and production of TV's was delayed mostly because of the War.

Lyle Talbot is another one of those with a lot of 30's flicks, there were 63 I saw listed for that decade, and he had a lot more through the decades. Also, another lead cast member (not Mary Astor because we just used her name) has 83 movies I saw listed for the 1930's.

KristineS
09-07-2008, 09:58 PM
Trapped by Television - Thurston Hall - The Star Maker (1939)

Thurston Hall made me think of Thurston Howell. I'm not sure why.

Evan, great to see you playing the game. I hope you keep playing. I should probably find the rules at some point and repost them again. It's been a while since we've seen them.

KristineS
09-07-2008, 09:59 PM
I decided to repost the rules for anyone new who might want to play.

Rules of the Game

Example:

Pretty simple

A Twist on the Game

cbscreative
09-07-2008, 11:24 PM
Thanks, Kristine. The only thing to add to that is that it's a good idea to look ahead on your movie pick to help assure that we don't hit a dead end. For example, if none of the cast in your movie choice has another 1930's movie, that kind of kills the game.

vangogh
09-08-2008, 03:02 PM
The Star Maker => Bing Crosby => Here Is My Heart (1934)

Here Is My Heart has a few well known names including one who's mostly famous for a particular role on a very famous tv series. I purposely chose one that didn't have Bob Hope in it too.

I'm not sure how important the rules are as I'd expect the three of us will be the only ones playing, but guess it's good to post them every so often. And it does help to look ahead to make sure the next person in line doesn't get stuck. Adds a little more responsibility to your choice, but helps make the next person's choice easier.

Apparently Bing wasn't an Elvis fan. In 1975 he said about Elvis:

He never contributed a damn thing to music.

Sorry Bing, but I beg to differ.

cbscreative
09-08-2008, 03:41 PM
Here Is My Heart - Kitty Carlisle - She Loves Me Not (1934)

We have mentioned Kitty Carlisle's name, but have not officially used it until now. She is most well known for appearing in every incarnation of the To Tell The Truth game show with her last appearance being in 2002 as I recall. Interestingly, Bing Crosby was also in this movie too. The ohter cast members are less famous any more, but still plenty to choose from. I think you were referring to William Frawley of Fred Mertz fame on I love Lucy as the famous TV series, but I'm pretty sure we used his name already.

I wasn't aware of Bing Crosby's comment about Elvis, but it might be interesting to note that they both died very close to the same time, only a couple months apart in 1977.

vangogh
09-08-2008, 11:23 PM
She Loves Me Not => Miriam Hopkins => Barbary Coast (1935)

I know Kitty's name has come up, but I can't remember if we used her in the game yet. I know we did on the old game, but it's gotten hard to keep track.

I almost picked She Loves Me Not as my last movie so I did know Bing was in it.

Oh yeah, I remember Bing and Elvis passing around the same time. I had never seen that comment either. I was kind of surprised by it. I wouldn't expect Bing to have been a big Elvis fan, but I was still surprised. Bing worked with David Bowie and I'd bet David Bowie was influence by Elvis.

Not a lot of trivia for Miriam Hopkins, but I thought this quote interesting

I'm a bad judge of a play or film. I turned down 'It Happened One Night'. It won Claudette Colbert an Oscar. I said it was just a silly comedy.

KristineS
09-09-2008, 08:40 AM
Barbary Coast - Brian Donlevy - Destry Rides Again (1939)

Sassy-talking, rugged-looking, square-shouldered supporting actor said, however, always to have gone through this necessary morning ritual before arriving on the movie set: 1) insert dentures; 2) don hairpiece; 3) strap on corset; 4) lace up "elevator" shoes.

The next movie has several famous people in it, so it should be easy for whomever plays next.

cbscreative
09-09-2008, 10:05 AM
Destry Rides Again - Dickie Jones - Nancy Drew... Reporter (1939)

There is one cast member here who was famous for a role in Perry Mason. With his last name, I thought maybe he was related to Dennis, but I found no mention of that. He only has a few movies from 1939, but they lead to plenty of other choices and some famous names.

Dickie Jones is still alive at 81 and still married since 1948. In Hollywood, that's always noteworthy.

KristineS
09-09-2008, 03:27 PM
Nancy Drew, Reporter - Bonita Granville - Westward Passage (1932)

Westward Passage was Bonita Granville's first acting role. She went on to produce the Lassie TV series and to marry a millionaire.

vangogh
09-10-2008, 01:11 AM
Westward Passage => Zasu Pitts => Eternally Yours (1939)

I couldn't resist the name Zasu Pitts. I had no idea who she was, but learned that she was:

Named "ZaSu" because her mother's two sisters, Eliza and Susan, both wanted her named after them. Her mother didn't want to disappoint either of them, so she formed the name from the last two letters of Eliza and the first two letters of Susan.

and

Her first name is pronounced "Zay-soo"

KristineS
09-10-2008, 08:46 AM
Eternally Yours - Eve Arden - Having a Wonderful Time (1938)

ZaSu Pitts is who I would have picked too, Vangogh. Who could resist that name?

Eve Arden is best known for the "Our Miss Brooks" television series.

I like this bit of trivia:

While appearing in a stage play, during one performance she was about to launch into her big speech, as a wife berating her husband, when the prop telephone on the set rang. Correctly deducing that this was a practical joke arranged by the actor playing the husband, she grabbed up the hone, and without missing a beat ad libbed along the lines of "Well, he's busy ... He really can't ... oh, very well ..." and then turned to her grinning cohort and wiped the smile off his face by snapping "It's for you!" and handing him the phone. She stood there tapping her foot while he ad libbed a rather unconvincing conversation, and then, after he hung up, went on with the scene as if nothing had happened.

cbscreative
09-10-2008, 07:27 PM
Having a Wonderful Time - Allan Lane - Stowaway (1936)

Hopefully, this will be the last time we use Having a Wonderful Time because it's at least the 3rd time and we're running out of cast from it that haven't been used. Allan Lane is best known for being the voice of Mr. Ed.

KristineS
09-10-2008, 09:49 PM
Stowaway - Alice Faye - Rose of Washington Square (1939)

I think this is interesting:

The film so closely resembled the life of entertainer Fanny Brice that Miss Brice sued 20th Century Fox for invasion of privacy and won.

Of course, she missed Funny Girl and Funny Lady, which came out, I believe, in the 60s.

vangogh
09-11-2008, 12:53 AM
Rose of Washington Square => Tyrone Power => In Old Chicago (1937)

Good cast for whoever's next including someone who won an Oscar almost 50 years after appearing in this movie.

Funn Kristine, but the first thing I though of when seeing the name Fanny Price was to think Funny Girl and Funny Lady.

Ok no more Having a Wonderful Time in the game. It's a new rule that this one movie is now off limits.

I don't really know as much about Tyrone Power as I might, but I found it interesting that he's third generation actor. His great grandfather Tyrone Power was an Irish comedian. His father also Tyron Power was called Tyrone Power Sr. to historians (I guess you can be senior when the name skips a generation), but was known to contemporaries as Tyrone Power the Younger. Dad was a star in the theater.

That makes Hollywood Tyrone Power Tyrone Power Jr., though he was also called Tyron Power III.

Fortunately none of his children were named Tyrone or it would get really confusing.

KristineS
09-11-2008, 08:32 AM
In Old Chicago - Don Ameche - The Story of Alexander Graham Bell (1939)

Wow, Don Ameche had a long career. The first thing he did was in 1935, the last in 1994.

cbscreative
09-11-2008, 06:48 PM
The Story of Alexander Graham Bell - Henry Fonda - Slim (1937)

Well, if you choose to use her name, this one does have the first wife of our 40th President, and this time I'm not confusing her with the other actress with a similar name who starred in Father Knows Best. Interestingly, she died exactly one year ago yesterday.

Henry Fonda is another example of the fact that there are still several famous names not yet used, plus, I don't think we used the name suggested above yet either.

KristineS
09-12-2008, 08:16 AM
Slim - Jane Wyman - Brother Rat (1938)

Jane Wyman was in this movie with her future husband. She also had four husbands, of which Ronald Regan was the second. She was married five times, she married one of the guys twice.

cbscreative
09-12-2008, 03:10 PM
Brother Rat - Eddie Albert - Four Wives (1939)

With your commentary on Jane Wyman, I thought this movie was the perfect pick. I'm sure you'll recognize Eddie Albert's name, and his most famous role by far was Oliver Douglas on Green Acres (also played the same role on Petticoat Junction). He's also another one with longevity. He died a few years ago at 99.

Here's an interesting bit of trivia as Albert joined the Navy and fought during WWII.

Albert was a genuine war hero. A thousand Americans and 4,800 Japanese lives were lost in bloody battle at Tarawa, a Pacific island, and Albert fought in the first wave of the three day combat. Afterward, he was ordered to salvage usable military equipment off the battlefield, and won his Bronze Star for finding and rescuing wounded men, who had been abandoned under heavy fire, instead.

vangogh
09-12-2008, 11:04 PM
Four Wives => Lola Lane => Port of Lost Dreams (1934)

Lola Lane was another interesting name I couldn't pass up. It reminded me of Lois Lane from Superman and then oddly enough I found this:

Her name served as the inspiration for the name of the Superman character Lois Lane.

Of course now the name Lois Lane is probably the more famous of the two. How's that? Losing your name to a comic book character.

KristineS
09-15-2008, 08:44 AM
Port of Lost Dreams - Charles C. Wilson - Sally, Irene and Mary (1938)

Apparently IMDB doesn't know much about Charles C. Wilson. I think it would be kind of sad to be an actor who only did bit parts and never really "made it". I guess you'd still be working, but I'm not sure that would be enough.

cbscreative
09-15-2008, 02:05 PM
Sally, Irene and Mary - Jimmy Durante - Palooka (1934)

There's famous name that I haven't seen come up in either version of this game. You'll probably reconize the name, but just in case Durante was famous for his nose (a definiate trademark). Palooka has a Marilyn Monroe type actress from the 30's who died in a suspicious accident. We talked about her on the other game, but I think this is the first time here. Prior to her death in 1935 at only 30 years old, she was very prolific with at least 91 movies in the 30's.

vangogh
09-15-2008, 05:11 PM
Palooka => Lupe Velez => Kongo (1932)

Kongo has a pretty famous name who I don't think we've mentioned yet. Steve I remember talking about Lupe Velez, but I think you're right that her name never came up in the game itself. Whenever I hear her name I think of Frazier. They did an episode once where her name is prominently featured and they talk about her suicide.

Lupe wanted to be remembered; that was her one wish. Since she was not being remembered by her films, she decided to be remembered by her suicide. She had everything planned; the pretty silk night gown, and make-up, the position. She knew that picture would make front cover news the next day. Unfortunately, her over-dose of pills didn't settle well with her last meal, so they found her with her head in the toilet. Amazingly enough, she got what she wanted, she is remembered, just not the way she thought she would be.

KristineS
09-16-2008, 09:01 AM
Kongo - Conrad Nagel - Wedding Present (1936)

Wow, a Cary Grant movie I didn't know. I had quite a Cary Grant crush when I was young. I thought I'd seen every movie he was in.

cbscreative
09-16-2008, 01:12 PM
Wedding Present - Gene Lockhart - Star of Midnight (1935)

There are some well known names here, and as for the best known in the cast, I can't recall if we used her name yet or not. I think we did, but she was most famous for dancing with Fred Astaire (not sure if we used his name yet either). It's getting increasingly harder to remember who we have and have not used. I think if we should try not to repeat, but we may have to settle for "used recently" however we choose to define recently. It's easier to remember back a few weeks than a month or more.

Vangogh, I was not familiar with Valez or her undignified demise. The actress I was referring to in my post above was Thelma Todd who made 91 movies in the 30's and several in the 20's, but lived the fast Hollywood lifestyle and died very young under suspicious circumstances. She was found dead in a closed garage from carbon monoxide poisoning.

vangogh
09-17-2008, 01:30 AM
Star of Midnight => William Powell => The Thin Man (1934)

I couldn't remember if we'd mentioned Ginger Rogers or not so I went with William Powell. Though to be honest I can't remember if his name has come up yet either.

The Thin Man has some big names in it, though I think we've mentioned most of them already. One woman in the film is someone who I usually associate with silent films, but her bio mentioned The Thin Man being the role she's most remembered for.

William Powell was nominated for 3 Oscars, including for his role in The Thin Man, but never won the award.

As a baseball fan I couldn't resist this piece of trivia:

He and Casey Stengel were in the same class in Central High School in Kansas City, Missouri.

KristineS
09-17-2008, 10:52 AM
The Thin Man - Maureen O'Sullivan - The Barretts of Wimpole Street (1934)

The Thin Man series of movies is one I've always wanted to see, but I've never taken teh time to find them. I've heard they're pretty good.

Here's a good piece of trivia: When producer Irving Thalberg cast his wife, Norma Shearer, in the role of Elizabeth Barrett, William Randolph Hearst was enraged that his protégé, Marion Davies, was not given the role. So Hearst pulled Davies out of MGM and placed her with Warner Brothers for the remainder of her career, and for over a year the name "Norma Shearer" did not appear in any Hearst newspapers.

cbscreative
09-17-2008, 12:08 PM
The Barretts of Wimpole Street - Leo G. Carroll - Bulldog Drummond's Secret Police (1939)

My primary reason for picking Caroll is he was another one of those actors that became famous for a TV role. He was in both The Man From U.N.C.L.E. and The Girl From U.N.C.L.E. I noticed that one of the lead characters in the movie chosen was in 3 different Bulldog Drummond movies of the late 30's, so apparnetly Bulldog was popular enough for at least a trilogy.

When I was looking up The Barrett's movie, I noticed they did a remake in 1957 with the same director. I guess he liked the play it was based on.

vangogh
09-18-2008, 03:47 AM
Bulldog Drummond's Secret Police => John Howard => Mountain Music (1937)

I think I left the next person with a few good names to choose from.

Kristine it's the same for me about The Thin Man. Something I'd like to see, but never have.

Steve it's interesting how often the names we use are much more familiar as tv stars from different eras.

John Howard is:

Best-known for his role as Ronald Colman's brother in director Frank Capra's classic Lost Horizon (1937), Howard later said he felt he did a bad job of playing the character: "Damn it, I thought I was too brash, too uncontrolled, too unbelievable. And I've wished always that I could go back and do it again."

KristineS
09-18-2008, 10:48 AM
Mountain Music - George "Gabby" Hayes - Days of Jesse James (1939)

Well, this movie has a well known movie and TV cowboy (but doesn't appear to have his wife).

cbscreative
09-18-2008, 01:26 PM
Days of Jesse James - Roy Rogers - Billy the Kid Returns (1938)

I figured you were referring to Roy Rogers even before I looked it up. I thought this movie would be the ideal follow-up which gives us small mini theme of old west villians.

That famous wife of his was from his 3rd marriage in 1947, so I doubt we'll see her name in 30's movies. His second wife was in 1936 until she died 10 years later. Only his first wife was a divorce, so that one obviously didn't work out too well. He stayed married to Dale Evans until his death in 1998, which was only 6 months after their Golden Anniversary.

BTW, one week from today, my wife's parents will be celebrating their Golden Anniversary. The party will be two days later on Sat.

vangogh
09-19-2008, 02:28 AM
Billy the Kid Returns => Smiley Burnette => The Phantom Empire (1935)

which leads us right to another famous singing cowboy actor. I had to pick Smiley Burnette for the name. Plus in Billy the Kid Returns his character's name is Frog Millhouse. It was just too irresistible.

Smiley became well known as the sidekick for the singing cowboy actor I referred to and they made over 80 westerns together.

Smiley did a lot of traveling, and once received an award from the National Safety Council for having worn out 27 cars without being involved in a single accident.

KristineS
09-19-2008, 02:04 PM
The Phantom Empire - Dorothy Christy - The Playboy of Paris (1930)

I know who you were aiming for Vangogh, but I just couldn't do it. Far be it from me to be predictable.

IMDB doesn't seem to know a lot about Dorothy Christy, but she was in quite a few movies in the 1930s. The one I picked has a well known French actor in it.

cbscreative
09-19-2008, 02:37 PM
The Playboy of Paris - Maurice Chevalier - Love Me Tonight (1932)

I think Chevalier is the French actor you were referring to. I can't claim to have been familiar with him, but I found the history interesting. He started in French silent movies and fought in WWI where he was taken POW by the Germans. He learned English from fellow POW's and later came to America to make the "talkies" in Hollywood. His first casting put him with the same co-star he had in this movie. He actually had the hots for her, but she rejected him because she had her eye on another actor, Gene Raymond, whom she later married and stayed married to until her death.

Chevalier ended up going back to Europe prior to WWII and later returned to the US where he made a comeback in the 1950's and is probably most famous for performing the song, Thank Heaven for Little Girls.

vangogh
09-19-2008, 08:22 PM
Love Me Tonight => Jeanette MacDonald => The Vagabond King (1930)

Not the best known cast, but a few checks and we should be safe to keep the game in the 30s

Jeanette:

Always considered her older sister, Marie Blake, to be the more talented of the two, and was happy for her when she finally attained some measure of recognition, late in life, as Grandmama Addams (under her married name, Blossom Rock) on the popular "Addams Family" TV show. According to biographer Sharon Rich, Ms. MacDonald never missed watching the show each week for that reason.

KristineS
09-19-2008, 08:35 PM
The Vagabond King - O.P. Heggie - The Count of Monte Cristo (1934)

Hollywood character actor of the late 20s and earlier 30s remembered for his role as the blind hermit who befriends the Creature, portrayed so memorably by Boris Karloff, with wine and tobacco in 'Bride of Frankenstein' (1935). Heggie's was the performance parodied by Gene Hackman in Mel Brooks's 'Young Frankenstein' (1974).

vangogh
09-22-2008, 12:18 PM
The Count of Monte Cristo => Sidney Blackmer => Cocktail Hour (1933)

Cocktail Hour has at least one famous name, though I can't remember if we've used him in the game yet.

I thought this was an odd connection to Sidney Blackmer

His widow became entangled in a battle with Donald Trump during the 1980s. Trump wanted to sell the apartment she rented under New York Cities Senior Citizen Rent Increase Exemption Program. Trump wanted more than the $1000 a month restriction and wanted her to sell the apartment. Eventually, in 1998, Trump was allowed to turn the apartment into condos, subject, however, to her tenancy. (Suzanne Kaaren) Mrs Blackmer did not receive any money as a result of the legal battle with Trump. Trump was enjoined from all attempts to evict her from the 100 Central Park South Apartment where she remained until her death in August of 2004. The Blackmers rented the apartment in 1948 and maintained a residence throughout their lives.

cbscreative
09-22-2008, 12:44 PM
Cocktail Hour - Bebe Daniels - The Maltese Falcon (1931)

I wasn't sure whose famous name you were referring to, but I don't recall anyone using Daniels' name yet. This movie title caught my attention because there was another one of the same title that is much more famous. The actress I was referring to in earlier posts who died in a suspicious accident in 1935 is up for grabs again in this movie, but there are other names too, and at least one (Merkel) has been used before.

KristineS
09-22-2008, 04:35 PM
The Maltese Falcon - Mary Astor - Midnight (1939)

The Maltese Falcon was actually 1941, not 1931. I brought us back into the 30s. Do you think it's time to expand to the 40s?

As a writer, I like this bit of trivia. When Billy Wilder and Charles Brackett turned in their script, the studio liked it, but felt it needed some work. The writers they hired to rewrite the script were: Billy Wilder and Charles Brackett. The studio sent them their own script to rewrite without knowing it. Wilder and Brackett simply retyped their original script and the studio loved the "rewrites" so much, they produced it with no further "changes".

vangogh
09-23-2008, 02:29 AM
Midnight => Don Ameche => Dante's Inferno (1935)

Ameche is listed as uncredited in Dante's Inferno, but I went with it since there was a few famous names in the film.

Kristine there is a 1931 version of The Maltese Falcon in addition to the more famous 1941 version. Ricardo Cortez plays the role of Sam Spade, though we'll all remember Sam Spade as Bogart.

Here's something I didn't know about Don Ameche

Calling the telephone the "Don Ameche" became popular American Slang in the 1930s and '40s due to his role as Alexander Graham Bell

cbscreative
09-23-2008, 12:10 PM
Dante's Inferno - Claire Trevor - Human Cargo (1936)

Thank you for clarifying that I didn't mess up my post, vangogh. Human Cargo has a decent sized cast, and one name stood out to me as being pretty well known, and I don't think we used it yet.

KristineS
09-23-2008, 03:43 PM
Human Cargo - Rita Hayworth - Only Angels Have Wings (1939)

Sorry, my bad regarding The Maltese Falcon. I guess I went for the more popular one.

vangogh
09-25-2008, 11:21 PM
Only Angels Have Wings => Jean Arthur => The Public Menace (1935)

Well I'm back at the movie game. Still adjusting to a new OS and still working to get productive again, but I can certainly find time to play the movie game.

Can't say I know the cast of The Public Menace too well, but there's more than enough of a cast to keep us in the 30's.

This bit of trivia is on the long side, but I found it really interesting

Quit movies at the height of her career in 1944, following an Oscar nomination and while still Columbia Pictures' top female box-office attraction. She appeared in only two more films, for Oscar-winning directors Billy Wilder (A Foreign Affair (1948)) and George Stevens (Shane (1953)). According to John Oller's biography "Jean Arthur: The Actress Nobody Knew" (1997), Arthur was a shy person who came to loathe making movies, having developed a kind of stage fright (something not uncommon in even great and accomplished actors; Laurence Olivier said he developed stage fright in 1964, while playing in "Othello," after 40 years on stage) that made acting in movies agony for her. After she quit movies, she tried to make a go at a stage career, being part of the original cast of "Born Yesterday," but she dropped out during previews and was replaced by Judy Holliday. She later gave television a crack in the mid-'60s, but the "The Jean Arthur Show" (1966) was canceled after half a season.

KristineS
09-26-2008, 08:19 AM
The Public Menace - Douglass Dumbrille - Naughty Marietta(1935)

This is kind of interesting. He married a 28 year old woman when he was 70 years old. This is his take on the subject: "Age doesn't mean a blasted thing. The important thing is whether two people can be happy together. Pat and I agreed that I had some years left and we could best share them together. We don't give a continental damn what other people think."

cbscreative
09-26-2008, 11:48 AM
Naughty Marietta - Walter Kingsford - The Invisible Ray (1936)

I know we used Boris Karloff already, but the rest of the cast members here are up for grabs. One of them was famous as a WWII pinup girl.

KristineS
09-26-2008, 03:14 PM
The Invisible Ray - Violet Kemble Cooper - Vanessa: Her Love Story (1935)

Not much really about this movie, but there are some pretty well known cast members for the next person in line.

By the way, the synopsis for this movie sounds very like a soap opera. Goodness, they were melodramatic back in the day.

vangogh
09-28-2008, 08:04 PM
Vanessa: Her Love Story => Helen Hayes => Night Flight (1933)

Big cast in Night Flight, though I think we've mentioned most. I think we mentioned Helen Hayes already too, thought it could have been the old game. I picked Helen Hayes just because of the theater named after her in New York, which I've been to on more than one occasion.

Here's some trivia you don't see every day:

As of 2008, she is only one of six actors who have a 2-0 winning record when nominated for an acting Oscar. The others are Luise Rainer for The Great Ziegfeld (1936) and The Good Earth (1937); Vivien Leigh for Gone with the Wind (1939) and A Streetcar Named Desire (1951); Sally Field for Norma Rae (1979) and Places in the Heart (1984); 'Kevin Spacey' for The Usual Suspects (1995) and American Beauty (1999); and Hilary Swank for Boys Don't Cry (1999) and Million Dollar Baby (2004).

KristineS
09-29-2008, 12:50 PM
Night Flight - Myrna Loy - Libeled Lady (1936)

It sounds like that was a fun set. I like this piece of trivia.

Reportedly, while shooting the movie, the four stars had become close friends, and William Powell even gave up his old habit of hiding out in his dressing room between scenes so he could join in the fun with the rest of the cast. One of the biggest jokes was a running gag Spencer Tracy played on Myrna Loy, claiming that she had broken his heart with her recent marriage to producer Arthur Hornblow Jr. He even set up an "I Hate Hornblow" table in the studio commissary, reserved for men who claimed to have been jilted by Loy.

cbscreative
09-29-2008, 02:49 PM
Libeled Lady - William Powell - The Great Ziegfeld (1936)

If we used Powell's name, I don't remember it, but I just brought us full circle since vangogh mentioned this movie in his last post. I didn't realize Hilary Swank was in such an elite crowd. I don't recall her being in a lot of movies either, but I do recall her role in Karate Kid which may have been her first (I didn't look it up).

vangogh
09-30-2008, 02:11 AM
The Great Ziegfeld => Ray Bolger => Sweethearts (1938)

I decided not to go for the obvious, especially since the last time I mentioned it you both told me I put the song Somewhere Over The Rainbow in your heads. Oh, did I just do it again. So sorry.

Was Ray Bolger typecast as the Scarecrow? You tell me:

He was always closely identified with the Scarecrow. He once guest starred on the show 'Password.' When the word "Ray" came up, he said to his partner "Me!" His partner readily answered "Scarecrow!"

Sounds to me like he was, but didn't seem to mind.

KristineS
09-30-2008, 03:08 PM
Sweethearts - Frank Morgan - Saratoga (1937)

This is kind of sad.

In May of 1937, with the film about 90% completed, Jean Harlow collapsed on the set and died about a week later, reportedly of uremic poisoning. Her remaining scenes were shot with double Mary Dees being filmed only from behind. Paula Winslowe supplied the voice.

cbscreative
09-30-2008, 08:12 PM
Saratoga - Walter Pidgeon - Stronger Than Desire (1939)

I don't see any really famous cast in Stronger Than Desire, but we can stay in the 30's easily. In fact, we could easliy be running in circles since I keep seeing a lot of the same actors appearing together in movies already listed. One thing I thought was interesting about Walter Pidgeon is that he donated his body to UCLA Medical School when he died in 1984 just two days after his 87th birthday.

vangogh
10-01-2008, 01:01 AM
Stronger Than Desire => Virginia Bruce => Times Square Lady (1935)

I have no good reason for picking the movie or actress above. Just random on my part. Not the most famous cast for the next in line. One famous name who I think we've used already, but checking other names we should be able to stay in the 30s easily enough. I'm beginning to think we can really stay in the 30s as long as we want to.

Not a lot of trivia for Virginia Bruce, but I did find this:

Was one of the 20 original 'Goldwyn Girls', along with Lucille Ball, Ann Dvorak, Paulette Goddard and Betty Grable.

KristineS
10-01-2008, 12:16 PM
Times Square Lady - Isabel Jewell - Lost Horizon (1937)

Didn't find much about Isabel Jewell. Guess she was one of those bit players. She was in Gone with the Wind, which I almost picked.

cbscreative
10-01-2008, 01:52 PM
Lost Horizon - Margo - Winterset (1936)

This must have been like an early version of Cher or Madonna who was known for a single name, so I thought I would choose it because I saw her name listed a couple other times and I don't think we used it. There is one very famous name in Winterset that I'm pretty sure has never been mentioned in either version of this game. He only has three 1930's movies showing in my db (which usually is not very exhaustive), but it will be easy to keep the game in the 30's. You should be able to spot the name right away and might remember him in both Grumpy Old Men and Grumpier Old Men (his last movie), as well as Rocky. What's interesting is that his last movie was just under 2 years before his death from Alzheimer's, so he must have been fairly cohesive and slipped fast at the end.

vangogh
10-02-2008, 01:08 AM
Winterset => Burgess Meredith => Of Mice and Men (1939)

I had to pick Burgess Meredith. I grew up watching him as the Penguin in the old Batman series and later caught all his Twilight Zone episodes. He's another with a 60+ year career too. I also can't remember if his name ever came up either here or or on the old game.

Interesting about Margo. I guess there have always been people who were known by a single name.

I caught in his bio that Brugess Meredith was reading his lines off cue cards during Grumpier Old Men, because the Alzheimer's was setting in.

Some other interesting stuff about Burgess Meredith:

Because of his very liberal political views, he collided with Senator Joseph McCarthy and was blacklisted from films in the late 1950s. Meredith, one might say, got revenge on McCarthy by portraying Joseph Welch, the man who humiliated McCarthy on national television, in 'Tail Gunner Joe (1977)'.

His character "Penguin" was so popular a villain in the _"Batman" (1966/II)_ TV-series the producers always had a "Penguin" script ready in case Meredith would like to appear as a guest star.

Despite his character dying in "Rocky III" (1982), he has appeared in every "Rocky" film, as either the real character, a flashback, or through archive footage.

Lots of good stuff. Also interesting is he always saw himself as a character actor. I think most would say he has the talent to play leading roles with the right script.

KristineS
10-02-2008, 09:24 AM
Of Mice and Men - Oscar O'Shea - The Shining Hour (1938)

I like this bit of trivia about Joan Crawford:

Joan Crawford specifically asked for Margaret Sullavan to play the role of Judy, despite Louis B. Mayer's warning that the accomplished stage actress could steal the picture from her. Joan replied "I'd rather be a supporting player in a good picture than the star of a bad one."

cbscreative
10-02-2008, 02:52 PM
The Shining Hour - Melvyn Douglas - She Married Her Boss (1935)

I don't think we used the name of the lead actress in this movie, but there are other choices too. None are real well known by today's standards, but still plenty of choices anyway.

Interesting trivia about Burgess Meredith. I do remember him appearing in a number of Twilight Zone episodes, and he did the narration for Twilight Zone: The Movie in the 80's, but I don't think he appeared in it.

I'm going to venture a guess that The Shining Hour movie was about a Linden family since I noticed that 5 cast members all played Linden's, including the one I picked.

KristineS
10-03-2008, 08:11 AM
She Married Her Boss - Jean Dixon - You Only Live Once (1937)

Wow, Jean Dixon made her theater debut acting with Sarah Bernhardt. That's kind of cool.

vangogh
10-04-2008, 02:59 AM
You Only Live Once => Henry Fonda => Jesse James (1939)

I really wanted to pick The Grapes of Wrath and be able to pick back to back movies made from Steinbeck novels, but Grapes of Wrath came out in 1940 so it wasn't mean to be. Instead I went with a western with a famous cast.

Kristine that's a good quote about Joan Crawford. I wonder if she meant it or if she just knew it was a good line.

Steve what gave it away that the movie was about the Lindens? :)

This is kind of cool about Henry Fonda:

Studied acting with Dorothy Brando, mother of Marlon Brando

I think this one is fairly common knowledge

At 76, he was the oldest person to win a best actor Oscar.

Here's a funny personal quote

I've been close to Bette Davis for thirty-eight years - and I have the cigarette burns to prove it.

And here's an interesting one

I'm not really Henry Fonda. Nobody could have that much integrity.

KristineS
10-04-2008, 08:53 AM
Jesse James - Nancy Kelly - Stanley and Livingstone (1939)

I didn't even know they could fake shots back then, but it appears they could.

Neither Spencer Tracy nor Walter Brennan ever actually went to Africa during the making of this film. Stand-ins for both of them were used in the long shots during the safari sequences, and whenever Tracy or Brennan were shown "on safari" in close-up against African scenery, they were acting in front of a rear projection screen.