PDA

View Full Version : Free ebook on Social Media

vangogh
01-21-2009, 11:33 PM
Just came across a free ebook called Media Savvy in the Internet Era (http://www.davidhenderson.com/wp-content/uploads/MediaSavvy_InternetEra.pdf). I haven't read a word of it as I'm posting this, but it looks like a decent book.

Here's a link to the author's bio (http://www.davidhenderson.com/about/) and a quick snippet.

David Henderson is a veteran communications strategist, author, Emmy Award winning former CBS Network News correspondent, and adjunct professor.

Looks interesting and since many here have questions about this kind of stuff I thought I'd share.

greenoak
02-14-2009, 08:44 AM
thanks vg..... its definitely a maze out there....
ann

vangogh
02-14-2009, 11:10 AM
Glad to help. If you read the book let me know what you think. I've downloaded it, but still haven't had a chance to read it yet.

alex09
02-21-2009, 08:24 AM
Hey Guys,

I have listened many times about social media marketing. How is it effective for my website? Is it worth to try with social media sites?

vangogh
02-21-2009, 12:32 PM
Alex each social site is different and can help in different ways. To me the key word in social media is social. In general each social site is a community and if you genuinely participate in the community and give to it, the community will give back to you.

I think of it the same way I think of success with a forum. If you go in with the attitude of helping others, people will take notice and want to know you more. In time they'll click on your signature link or send you a PM to contact you.

Some social media sites have the potential to drive a lot of traffic to your sites, with the indirect benefit of some of those people linking to your content later. However to get that traffic and subsequent links you need to craft content each community will like. The communities around each social site will have different preferences. For a quick and dirty example the community around Digg is pro Apple and Linux and anti-Microsoft. If you write a post talking about how wondering Windows Vista is it probably won't do well. Or rather you'd have more luck writing a post talking about how wonderful Macs are or how the world should all switch to Linux.

If you're interested in social media the first thing I would do is explore a few sites and see which you're most interested in. Then join one or two and start using them. But remember to go into it with the idea of contributing to the community instead of trying to extract from the community.