PDA

View Full Version : One-Women Design Studio — "We" or "I"? I'm still confused!

Wozcreative
06-09-2013, 06:17 PM
Hey guys!

I know it's been many times that we kind of touch upon peoples websites and point out wether we think "we" or "I" should be used. But I am still having doubts (i'm no copywriter, but i DO enjoy writing).

Initially I used the words "I" and "you" was for referring to potential clients/partners.

I am now restructuring my company/website from looking like "freelance graphic designer" to steer away from working with design agencies (though ironically the words "freelance" coupled with some other words is what actually brings people to my site when googling.)

Anyway I want to stay as a single one women design company. But instead of "freelance designer" I want to look more like a "Design Studio".... but run by 1 person. Now I've been told that I should use "we, our etc" but to be honest, that makes me feel like I will confuse people because I want them to know I work SOLO.

So my questions are:

1. Should I be using the word "wozcreative" instead of "we"?

2. If I use "we"... won't it confuse people? Should I just create a profile/about page to clarify that "we" is actually jsut a one women company?

3. Here is an example of what I currently have using "we"..

Our goals are to always push for high-end quality work, no matter the size of the project or budget. We pride ourselves to bring consistent quality so that you know you have someone to count on!

4. Any other suggestions?

Thanks and maybe I'm just over thinking things!

Harold Mansfield
06-09-2013, 08:27 PM
I tussled with that for years. I finally settled on "I" and stopped second guessing it.

There is no "we" in any work that I do if it comes through my own website.
Even if I contract something out like graphics or coding, the people I subcontract to aren't partners so again "we" doesn't apply.

"I" works out better for me.

Dan Furman
06-09-2013, 10:02 PM
I like using "I", but when I talk about my business, it might be "we" or "us".

I kind of mix and match and don't worry too much about it.

Freelancier
06-09-2013, 10:18 PM
When I'm talking about me, I use "I". When I'm talking about my company -- an entity that is not me, but it's the company which I run -- I use "we", even though -- most of the time -- that company is just me doing all the work.

But what we all do doesn't matter.

What matters is the type of customer you want to work with and what they expect. Do they expect a company with the possibility of more than one person doing the work -- or a backup in case you get sick -- or do they want a single freelancer? The pronoun you choose conveys one or the other, so decide what you want to convey and stick with it until you decide you want customers who want something else.

broudie
06-10-2013, 02:09 PM
When I'm talking on behalf of my business (even though I'm the only full-time employee), I use the "royal we". I don't think that's puffing your business up more than it should be.

billbenson
06-10-2013, 02:14 PM
I think its a case of whether you want to present yourself as a large business or a small one. There is a market for both

Business Attorney
06-11-2013, 12:59 AM
Since you say you want to market yourself as a design studio rather than a solo designer, I would use the royal we. While there may be advantages to choosing to market yourself as an individual or as a "design studio" I think your pronoun should be consistent with your message. Marketing yourself as a design studio but then referring to your business as "I" sends a confusing message.

Wozcreative
06-11-2013, 09:47 AM
Since you say you want to market yourself as a design studio rather than a solo designer, I would use the royal we. While there may be advantages to choosing to market yourself as an individual or as a "design studio" I think your pronoun should be consistent with your message. Marketing yourself as a design studio but then referring to your business as "I" sends a confusing message.

You have a strong point there. I think I will launch the website with "we" and see how it goes.. change it if it does not fly. Since I currently have "I" on my old site.. this can give me a guage on what reactions I get when going to "we"...

Carsten
06-14-2013, 06:39 PM
When I started my business I was always talking about "we" and "us", just because I thought "I" would be too egocentric. A funny scene happened when a big customer asked me how many people "we" would be. Thank god, today I don't need to think about that any more, but I know that this is not as important as I have thought in earlier times. I think you don't need to worry about it too much because people don't care about that.

Dan Furman
06-17-2013, 01:20 PM
One thing I would add to this - I am personally *not* a fan of purposely portraying something you aren't. Trying to "hide" the fact that you work out of your home or are a one person business is misleading. In my opinion, you should have the confidence to be who you are. If someone doesn't want to hire a single copywriter and instead wants a firm, then they don't do business with Dan Furman. And I'm totally ok with that.

Wozcreative
06-17-2013, 07:40 PM
Yea I don't want to hide that at all. I want people to know it is a one women design studio... hence the confusion and if "i" is very professional hah.

broudie
06-18-2013, 10:24 AM
Are you really "just yourself"? When I think about my own business, although I am the only real employee I employ the services of maybe dozens of people (contractors or services) to get the job done. That in itself means you should use "we"

Dan Furman
06-18-2013, 12:59 PM
Yea I don't want to hide that at all. I want people to know it is a one women design studio... hence the confusion and if "i" is very professional hah.

Like I mentioned, I like a mixture. Look at my site, Woz. I talk about myself in the third-person on the homepage (and in the logo), and then do a lot of "I" on the interior pages, with some "we" thrown in.

Wozcreative
06-18-2013, 02:09 PM
Are you really "just yourself"? When I think about my own business, although I am the only real employee I employ the services of maybe dozens of people (contractors or services) to get the job done. That in itself means you should use "we"

Yes I'm just myself! I maybe employ one or two contractors every 4 months for small 4 hour jobs.

Paul
06-19-2013, 12:36 AM
I think because your site and the work samples you present are clearly professional you should refer to your shop as "we". I disagree a bit with Dan in this case. A client looking for your services may want or need to work with a "company", not a person.

I think you can spin it both ways, you are an agency "we", but you are the lead designer "me".

From the customer side, if I as a consultant was tasked to hire an agency and I found you I would report back that I found a great agency, not that I found a girl that does great work. Again, I say all this because your work appears to be "agency" level. I can't imagine someone not hiring you because you are "we", but i can see a concern about hiring a solo operator.

Just my humble opinion.

Patrysha
06-19-2013, 02:10 PM
In my case, I'd prefer not to work for companies that would prefer to work with an agency...they usually frustrate me to no end with multiple points of contact, decisions by committee and general lack of effective communication - so "I" works to push that self-selection. If they want a "we" they won't be happy with me. I've tried it before so I know we're better off not even trying. It really depends on what clients you work with best...would you say we with them, or I when talking to them in person?

patrickprecisione
06-24-2013, 08:48 AM
This is an interesting conversation. I wonder, do most customers prefer the fact that you are a one woman design studio, or would they rather work with a company with several employees? I suppose it doesn't make a difference to most people as long as the work is good.

billbenson
06-24-2013, 11:15 AM
This is an interesting conversation. I wonder, do most customers prefer the fact that you are a one woman design studio, or would they rather work with a company with several employees? I suppose it doesn't make a difference to most people as long as the work is good.

I think you are really it's a market niche thing. Some people will want one over the other. The ratio will vary by industry. For me it's heavily weighted to the we side. When I pick a web designer I would prefer a one person company.

Wozcreative
06-24-2013, 11:34 AM
The dilemma I have is that if I use "I".. then I get 50% of the clients contacting me whom are design agencies (who would be middle men), to the projects.. I prefer to attract small businesses directly.. go to the source of the projects. However I also want to seem very small.. and have them know I am only 1 person, and all the work will NOT be outsourced. I think most of my clients value that a lot. They understand I'm working alone and most times are willing to wait for when I am not busy to give me projects. Design agencies are great.. but their deadlines are so crazy sometimes.. I always manage to meet that, but I prefer easy going clients/projects.. maybe maybe I can try to write without using "we" or "I" and just say "you" a lot lol..

In the end.. what I will probably end up doing is use "I" a lot.. but create an FAQ page, or a detailed explanation of what I offer.. trying to put more focus on the end client and not the agencies.. That might weed things out!

Harold Mansfield
06-24-2013, 11:40 AM
However I also want to seem very small.. and have them know I am only 1 person, and all the work will NOT be outsourced. I think most of my clients value that a lot. They understand I'm working alone and most times are willing to wait for when I am not busy to give me projects.

If this is how you want to present yourself, then why is "we" even a consideration? You've already answered your own question.

Wozcreative
06-24-2013, 11:42 AM
If this is how you want to present yourself, then why is "we" even a consideration? You've already answered your own question.

Because I wanted to sound more "agency" like. To hopefully get more small business clients (who go to agencies more of then than not).

Hahah.. i know I'm complicating this WAY too much.. it seems simple.. maybe I should grab a book on marketing for solo designers and that would help me understand how to better position myself.

Harold Mansfield
06-24-2013, 11:47 AM
Because I wanted to sound more "agency" like. To hopefully get more small business clients (who go to agencies more of then than not).

So call yourself an agency. That doesn't mean you need to act like a group of people. Refer to yourself as an agency, and you as it's leader.

"Here at Woz Creative, I...."

KristineS
06-24-2013, 12:36 PM
The reality of the situation is that whichever route you pick "I" or "we" it's going to work for some people and not for others. My recommendation is to always go with the way that feels authentic to you and which best meets your goals. If you're not a we, and you're not outsourcing, don't set yourself up to tap dance when someone asks who will be working on their projects. Yes, being an "I" will self select clients in some cases, but it also eliminates the potential for a lot of questions that you may not be able to answer.

billbenson
06-24-2013, 12:59 PM
On the outsourcing issue, I would view outsourcing some items as a plus. Easy image manipulation would be one example. I don't want to pay your rate for something a teenager can do. Complex programming could be another. I'd make the assumption that you don't have a computer science degree or that programming skill set and that would be better outsourced. If you do have that skill set, I would mention that on your website. I didn't check to see if you said anything regarding this.

That's the way I'd look at it anyway. It might not be true for the bulk of your customers.

Paul
06-27-2013, 10:23 AM
I think you can play it both ways.

Maybe you can present the company as a small agency BUT make it clear that you do all the creative work.

Wozcreative is “a boutique graphic art and web design studio”, specializing in……..
We provide professional design and creative services to …………………..
All design work is personally performed by founder and owner Elwira Wozniak.
Elwira graduated with honors…etc

So my thoughts are that they will believe it to be “we” but you talk in terms of “I”.
They’ll just think you have some support staff.

Marcomguy
06-29-2013, 06:59 PM
If there's anyone that you work with regularly (or even occasionally) to produce a deliverable for a client, then you're a "we."

tallen
06-30-2013, 08:03 AM
Just an off the wall idea, if you have some regular clients of the type that you are trying to attract more of, why not ask them what they would think of the I vs. We approach?

Kumar Palani
02-09-2015, 09:07 AM
Both are good, but never mix it up. There are some website's that represent an individual rather than a company (unit or team), and they do it well with "I". It is a small difference, instead presenting yourself as team you are speaking the truth. Its actually good, but make sure you brand that "I" (your name and skills through profiles and other modems) to showcase your individual skills.