PDA

View Full Version : newspaper article by me!

huggytree
01-21-2009, 08:23 PM
I recieved a fax tonight from the local newspaper asking me to reply to a question from a reader for their home improvement section. I have attatched my response. Im looking for feedback and possible changes before i send it in.

i also had a tv station call me last week looking for a frozen pipe story..i didnt have any repairs that day...

im starting to wonder if i have a friend in the local media since both newspaper and the tv channel news are owned by the same company.

will this get me some work? i think maybe

huggytree
01-21-2009, 08:28 PM
i just noticed my website missing at the bottom...i fixed it already...$1,500 for a brand new website and i almost missed the best opportunity to use it.

Steve B
01-21-2009, 08:40 PM
I liked everything except for the last sentence. It sounded a little too self-serving to me. Most people will read the first part and decide to hire someone else anyway (without your last sentence). By putting that sentence at the end, they might suspect you made it sound harder than it really is.

Aaron Hats
01-21-2009, 08:48 PM
I liked everything except for the last sentence. It sounded a little too self-serving to me. Most people will read the first part and decide to hire someone else anyway (without your last sentence). By putting that sentence at the end, they might suspect you made it sound harder than it really is.

I agree, drop the last sentence and you'll be all set. Don't make it seem like a sales pitch and the paper (and readers) will keep coming back to you.

vangogh
01-21-2009, 09:18 PM
I'm going to agree also. The last line isn't necessary. Steve is right, most people will decide to hire someone anyway. You just want to get across that you know what you're doing, which is evident by your answer to the question.

And yep good idea to add the address of your site.

orion_joel
01-21-2009, 10:06 PM
I agree as well, and additionally my some of the comments in the actual body of the response, you are making people aware of the need for someone who knows what they are doing, to do the job rather then attempt it themselves.

cbscreative
01-22-2009, 11:58 AM
Ditto on the last sentence.

KristineS
01-22-2009, 01:11 PM
I have to agree that the last sentence should go. The way you described the job makes it clear that it should be done by an expert. Just leave it at that.

Also a good catch on adding your web site.

Business Attorney
01-22-2009, 01:53 PM
First, I agree on cutting out the last sentence.

Definitely take advantage of these free opportunities. For me, they seem to come in spurts. Early last year I was interviewed for articles in Inc., Entrepreneur, MasterCard's small business website and another consumer website. The four interviews were all within a month or two of each other and apparently all came from independent random searches on search engines by the writers. Since then, I have not received a single request for an interview. Go figure.

KristineS
01-22-2009, 03:26 PM
This will probably get you some work, huggy, and will definitely get you some exposure. It is always great to have an opportunity to position yourself as an expert. The more you're able to do this kind of thing, the more people will think of you when they have a plumbing issue.

huggytree
01-24-2009, 10:55 AM
they somewhat rewrote my whole story..they took pieces of it and put in in quotes and would say ---waukesha Plumbing says "dadadadadadada"

they wouldnt allow my phone number or email address...it says my company name 2 times in the article and thats it...

because of the lack of my email and phone # i wont get any calls from it....its still fun to see your name in the newspaper though..

Aaron Hats
01-24-2009, 11:03 AM
because of the lack of my email and phone # i wont get any calls from it....

Don't bet on it. Sometimes a mention in a legit story is worth more than ten full page ads. People read the stories much more than the ads.

Aaron

Patrysha
01-24-2009, 03:23 PM
As long as you're listed in Google Maps and the phone book, most people reading the paper and needing your services will be able to find you.

huggytree
01-24-2009, 03:29 PM
ill let you all know how many calls it gets me....

because of previous experience in the phone book & back of the newspaper i feel anything except word of mouth gets you nothing....maybe ill be suprised

im going to email the journalist and offer to write weekly for them...seeing my name over and over may bring me business.

KristineS
01-24-2009, 04:15 PM
Definitely do write for them whenever they let you. You'd be surprised how often that sort of thing sticks in people's minds. Plus it gives you a legitimacy that an advertisement just can't give you. People tend to think that those who write for the paper or appear on television must be experts otherwise they wouldn't be allowed to write or appear. Use this to your advantage and take every opportunity you can to appear in this role.

I'm guessing it will pay off.

Spider
01-24-2009, 05:01 PM
I hope you kept a copy of the newspaper article, HT. Print out the article with your logo and the newspaper's front page banner at the top and make a flyer of it, and add it to your website.

I had an article about me a while back - and it has done me a lot of good. I still use it 3 years later! (See it here (http://home.earthlink.net/~fpearce/coach/hchron/hchronarticle.html) )

I thihk you should give your reproduced article out to everyone who asks a plumbing question of any sort and have it ready to give to people at networking events. Plus attach it to every home owner estimate you send.

You may not get any calls from the newspaper edition but you can be getting work from that article for years to come.

billbenson
01-24-2009, 06:47 PM
One thought, on the web side, is why not start a blog of plumbing tips. Your site already shows up well for local plumbing searches. Put a plumbing tip of the day or week up. I'm not sure if that would benefit your business or not?

huggytree
01-28-2009, 05:09 PM
i sent an email to the editor asking if i could give some more advice in the future..im trying to become a regular..

i got an offer for readers digest today...ill be sending in the article tonight..

maybe someday ill be famous and known by everyone as 'dave the plumber'

Ad-Vice_Man
01-28-2009, 05:54 PM
PR is always more valuable than Advertising - Keep in mind this is coming from a guy that makes his living in the advertising world.

Getting the free publicity is the first step. Leveraging the publicity is where you can make a real impact on your business.

You may want to consider speaking with a PR professional. there are some reasonably priced small shops in every town. if you need a referral let me know.

Patrysha
01-28-2009, 08:49 PM
Oh good. I'm glad you were able to use the Reader's Digest lead.

I meanwhile will be interviewed for a non-biz related article for Chatelaine (a Canadian national magazine) early next week.