PDA

View Full Version : The year so far...

Dan Furman
01-21-2009, 06:58 PM
So, in this (predicted) dark economic time, how is everyone doing so far? Better than you thought? Worse? About the same?

So far, I'm a little behind last year, but it's not bothering me too much - I'm not of the mindset that I have to grow revenue every year. But also, while last year was a really good year, it was a lot of work as well - almost too much. I may not want to ever match it again in terms of work. I was mentally exhausted when December rolled around. I don't want to do that again.

So anyway, I'm busy enough, but definitely see a slowdown in overall business activity. Which is kind of good, as it's going to make me take time to explore other opportunities and try to setup other income-producing activities (ones that don't require as much direct work as straight copywriting does :) )

orion_joel
01-21-2009, 07:58 PM
Yeah i am about 20 days behind where i thought i would be at this point, i had some big plans that i wanted to put in action over christmas that i thought would flow on to this month. But in the end with how work panned out and some other things i never got to any of them.

Not to worry though i have plans to set up the rest of the year for a massive effect that i hope will see me much better off.

vangogh
01-21-2009, 08:00 PM
Oddly I'm having the best month since I opened for business. I don't think it has anything to do with the economy though. It's more that I opened for business with a long term plan timed for something like this to happen right around this time. I picked up a few new clients at the end of last year and I think I'm seeing the results of a few years hard work. I might be saying something different in a few months.

I've never been one to think you can't do well in a bad economy. I've done both good and bad in all kinds of economies and almost always the money I made had more to do with me than the economy itself. It's true that businesses and people will have less to spend when money is tight, but to me that means you have to change the way you do businesses a little to adapt.

Aaron Hats
01-21-2009, 08:22 PM
I'm with vangogh on this one. We're having our best January ever and am significantly ahead of last January.

For only $19.95 I'll tell you how I'm doing it. Seriously, I'm actually taking this time to get more involved in my community and church.

Aaron

vangogh
01-21-2009, 09:41 PM
Congrats Aaron. $19.95? When's the ebook coming out?

orion_joel
01-21-2009, 10:00 PM
Don't forget to promote the ebook Aaron with the loss effect.

Aaron Hats
01-21-2009, 10:07 PM
Congrats Aaron. $19.95? When's the ebook coming out?

No ebook coming from me. I give it all away for free as part of my SCORE counseling and to anybody who wants to swing by my office. I do better face to face than the written word as evidenced by my low rep value here. :) So plan your next vacation to the beautiful White Mountains of New Hampshire.

vangogh
01-21-2009, 10:27 PM
New Hampshire is a beautiful place and I do travel east to visit family throughout the year. You never know when I'll show up at the office.

We'll have to see about correcting that rep thing.

phanio
01-21-2009, 10:36 PM
Glad to see that some are enjoying a slow down. Just keep in mind, it will turn back the other way and ask yourself what you are doing to prepared for it?

orion_joel
01-21-2009, 11:25 PM
Could be a long holiday, from Australia to drop by Aaron. Though some day may just happen.

huggytree
01-22-2009, 07:07 AM
work for the 1st month of the new year is very similar to last year for me. Feb. was my worst month last year and it looks the same also...I made profit this month, but ill be lucky to break even in Feb.....Construction always dies in winter in WI....I just finishing up all my projects and not starting much new...Ive got lots of possibilities which could make Feb great, but just like last year everything is dying after the bidding stage..

I am expecting a slightly better year since i have more customers than i did last year.

Im also hoping for others to go under to create more work for me.

Im enjoying the extra free time right now and doing some home improvement projects and some extra networking. life is good!

Aaron Hats
01-22-2009, 11:17 AM
You're all welcome to come visit, lunch is on me. Sounds like an SBF get together.