PDA

View Full Version : free website builder

t_kib
06-04-2013, 05:17 AM
hi everyone!
i'm new here and i really need your help. i'm running a small business and i'm considering building a small website to promote it.
i don't want to spend a lot of money and i heard that there are a lot of free website builders.
do you have any recommendations of these kind of sites?? (i have no codding experience)

thanks!

Wozcreative
06-04-2013, 02:19 PM
Tumblr or Wordpress.com are free. They will also host it on their servers. You can purchase a domain and then link it up to that hosting.

Business magnate
06-04-2013, 06:07 PM
hi everyone!
i'm new here and i really need your help. i'm running a small business and i'm considering building a small website to promote it.
i don't want to spend a lot of money and i heard that there are a lot of free website builders.
do you have any recommendations of these kind of sites?? (i have no codding experience)

thanks!

I used Weebly for similar purposes. You can (also) purchase and link domain to it.

Harold Mansfield
06-05-2013, 12:07 PM
As a web designer I am completely against Site Builders for many reasons, but I understand thier appeal to people who aren't yet ready for a full featured, custom website, don't have time or interest in learning WordPress, HTML or anything else, and just want to get something online with thier basic information.

So with that said, there is nothing out there that is completely free that doesn't put some form of thier advertising on your website. And that looks even more unprofessional than not having a site.

My advice would be to use one that costs a few bucks a month so that you don't run into that problem of completely looking like a free website with the "This site built by Wix" or some other tag on it.

And also make sure that you OWN your URL so that you can take it with you and use it somewhere else when you are ready for a full featured website.

kerrylinux
06-05-2013, 02:12 PM
And also make sure that you OWN your URL so that you can take it with you and use it somewhere else when you are ready for a full featured website.

It is VERY IMPORTANT that you get this right from the beginning. Owning the domain means that the domain is being registered in your own name. Even if someone else registers your domain for you you must insist on being registered as the domain owner. If you like to read an inspiring article by Tony Lawrence on the importance of this first step for every business read this article (http://pcunix.hubpages.com/hub/Why-you-need-to-take-control-of-your-DNS-and-Web-Site-even-if-you-hate-geek-stuff).

Jim Briggs
06-05-2013, 10:49 PM
Here's an evaluation matrix of website builders:

Website Builder Review 2013 | Premium Website Maker Editors |Web Page Maker Software - TopTenREVIEWS (http://website-builder-review.toptenreviews.com/)Caveat emptor.

rewind
06-06-2013, 05:51 AM
A lot of hosting companies offer free website builders, and they are fine for very basic sites, but you may run into a wall later on because you'll be limited in what you can do.

You may want to look into Wordpress. It's pretty customizable, but it's geared more toward blogs by default.

Harold Mansfield
06-08-2013, 08:58 AM
You may want to look into Wordpress. It's pretty customizable, but it's geared more toward blogs by default.
That's not true anymore. It's geared towards Content Management. Many WordPress sites don't even have blogs on them.

vangogh
06-08-2013, 12:24 PM
Feel free to keep discussing this topic, but don't feel the need to help t_kib. Oddly enough while t_kib has been unable to respond another member with the exact same IP was able to hop into the thread to recommend the site builder everyone should absolutely use.

I use WordPress myself, but I wouldn't consider it a site builder. I think to really customize it you still need to have some development skills. WordPress has been adding more ability to customize things without having to jump into code and some themes and plugins do the same, but wouldn't yet call it a site builder. On the other hand it stopped being a blog engine only years ago. It's a content management system with it's roots in blogging so it's still mostly focused on text as content, but that too is changing.

Harold Mansfield
06-08-2013, 12:32 PM
Feel free to keep discussing this topic, but don't feel the need to help t_kib. Oddly enough while t_kib has been unable to respond another member with the exact same IP was able to hop into the thread to recommend the site builder everyone should absolutely use.

Sheesh. Noobs. Whadaya gonna do?
It's amazing how many of them think that's so ingenious.
There's a prime example of someone who will never see any success on the web until they stop thinking that low level spamming tricks actually qualifies as some kind of marketing plan.

vangogh
06-08-2013, 03:12 PM
Yeah, what are you going to do. Some people are less interested in earning success and more interested in quick attempts and manipulating it.

Still the general topic of website builders is one I'm sure others are interested in so I thought I'd leave the thread open minus one scammer.

dianecoleen
06-10-2013, 06:14 PM
Ooopss. That's a pain in the ass (Caught-in-Act)!! . Anyway, if I'm going to build a site, I would go to word press platform as it has an SEO friendly feature and it is easy to navigate and it will give you additional knowledge in basic website building since you have no coding experience. There are lots of free website builder around the net such as weebly, tumblr, blog.com, Google searching is free anyway.