PDA

View Full Version : One last time...

sunrise_rachel
05-22-2013, 12:04 PM
Here is my latest effort. Hopefully this is much better than the last!

Sunrise at Home, LLC | Work from Home! (http://www.sunriseathome.com)

Harold Mansfield
05-22-2013, 12:12 PM
Here is my latest effort. Hopefully this is much better than the last!

Sunrise at Home, LLC | Work from Home! (http://www.sunriseathome.com)

It is a little better, but why did you scrap WordPress, which is a CMS, SEO friendly, and is free, for what you have now?

Wozcreative
05-22-2013, 04:05 PM
I liked the layout of the other one much better, but the typography spelling and grammar is much better in this one.

sunrise_rachel
05-22-2013, 10:25 PM
Because I couldn't find anything I liked in the templates. They were all blog style and I didn't want it blog style. I also couldn't customize everything exactly they way I wanted. If I like a template it was the wrong color, if I liked the color the layout was wrong. I started feeling constricted and frustrated. So I found a "drag and drop" software that I can use.

It was a lot easier for me to just make it myself. Aside from grammar issues (glad they are better Wozcrative! :)) I was actually happy with they way this one turned out. No doubt I could tweak it further but for someone who hasn't done that before I was proud of myself. :)

I am still using WordPress for my Agent Area part of the site.

Harold Mansfield
05-23-2013, 09:25 AM
Because I couldn't find anything I liked in the templates. They were all blog style and I didn't want it blog style. I also couldn't customize everything exactly they way I wanted. If I like a template it was the wrong color, if I liked the color the layout was wrong. I started feeling constricted and frustrated. So I found a "drag and drop" software that I can use.

It was a lot easier for me to just make it myself. Aside from grammar issues (glad they are better Wozcrative! :)) I was actually happy with they way this one turned out. No doubt I could tweak it further but for someone who hasn't done that before I was proud of myself. :)

I am still using WordPress for my Agent Area part of the site.

There is a learning curve so I understand perfectly that it's not for everyone. Especially if you don't have the time.

What's most important is that what you have is better than what you had, and that you're comfortable with what you are using.

lionize
05-25-2013, 11:50 PM
Your website is good Rachel and you should be proud of yourself, creating a website is a difficult task. So just keep at it and do not give up.
Two things I would work on would be the width of your pages and the navigation. Avoid the horizontal scroll bar for most, if not all, screen sizes and try adding navigation to the bottom of your pages so visitors can easily get around once they read through a page. The idea is to make your website as user friendly as possible. These and many other small details will make a huge difference in how your visitor feels about simply interacting with your website.
Once the site is user friendly then you can focus on the content, because trust me, if the site isn't usable the content will not matter. Good luck, you can do this.

Konstantin
05-27-2013, 09:42 AM
Hi Rachel,

If you don't mind I would like to add couple of comments here as a normal visitor.

1. I fully agree with lionize regards horizontal scroll. It looks not good. My opinion is that you should avoid it.
2. Personally I have mixed feelings regards this "wooden" background. It draws attention but in my opinion shouldn't do it (I suppose you have decided to use bold text there to make it more visible on this background, right?).
3. Subscription form. My opinion is that it should be better aligned. Now you have left alignment. But it is more attractive to align also text fields and check boxes there. Plus it is better to make same length for all text fields.

Please consider all above as my only personal opinion.

Thanks

Konstantin