PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for a responsive Wordpress theme?

Marcomguy
05-21-2013, 03:27 PM
I'm looking for a good responsive theme for Wordpress. This is for a site that will have a full-screen home page with rotating images. The rest of the site has a lot of images too.

The theme should allow a mobile user to view the full site.

Can you recommend a theme that you have used and had success with? I could go to places like Woothemes and search for themes, but I'm hoping for a "thumbs-up" like "I used XYZ theme and it works great!"

Thanks!

vangogh
05-21-2013, 11:52 PM
I develop my own themes so I can't give you a thumbs up on any others developed. You could just search themes at WordPress.org. I'm pretty sure if you type responsive as the search you'll find a few. The default theme that comes with WordPress should also be responsive at this point. Going to Woothemes or any of the other top theme sites will probably work too. I don't know that you need to find recommendations on a specific theme. If you trust the company in general you'll likely be happy with their themes. I'm pretty sure the big shops now all have responsive themes.

Harold Mansfield
05-22-2013, 04:34 PM
There's too many themes, and frameworks to recommend just one. Especially without knowing what type of website it's for. That's pretty much just shooting in the dark.

Try:
WordPress.org
Woo Themes (Can't go wrong here. Everything is solid, and the only "framework" that I ever recommend to anyone.)
Solostream (Mostly magazine style)
Elegant Themes (They do decent work at very affordable prices.)
Rocket Themes ( never purchased from here, but I hear good things)
Themeforest (crap load of responsive themes. Be careful. Some are very complicated. Read the reviews!)

There's also:
App Themes ( never worked on one that worked 100%).
Pagelines ( Good themes, but a little over complicated)
Studiopress ( Genesis framework. I HATE the Genesis framework)
Templatic ( Not a big fan. Worked on some sites using their themes and it was kind of a nightmare)
Thesis (meh)
Ink Themes ( don't know much about them, but seems to be a theme club)

I'm sure there are others. Just don't trust any free theme websites. NONE.

Don't buy a theme because it promises to be more SEO friendly than others. That's all marketing and sales BS.

Marcomguy
05-22-2013, 10:10 PM
Thank you for the advice, guys. Harold, good to see your endorsement of Woo Themes. I'm kinda meh about Thesis too. All Thesis sites look alike. I agree, "SEO friendly" is baloney. I'll install All in One SEO Pack anyway.

billbenson
05-22-2013, 10:38 PM
I haven't played around with WP for at least 3 years. Having said that, given the time, I'd like to play around with a basic theme just for practice. I'm comfortable with php etc (by no means an expert). Does anyone have a recommendation for a free basic template that I can build on?

Harold Mansfield
05-23-2013, 09:15 AM
If you just want to play around, 2012 the default theme that it comes with, is just fine. A lot has happened in the last 3 years, so it would probably be best to play with something simple so that you don't have to learn how to use the theme as well as catch up on what's new in the software.

Here's where we are now :
WordPress › WordPress 3.5 “Elvin” (http://wordpress.org/news/2012/12/elvin/)

tomaraOSB
05-23-2013, 01:19 PM
A lot of the Wordpress themes are responsive, these days. My company has purchased many themes from ThemeForest and we also subscribe to SoloStream and ElegantThemes (you pay a membership and can download any/all of their themes)--we also have a developers copy of Thesis (which I wouldn't recommend unless you have lots of time--there are sites with video tutorials that can walk you through everything, but if code makes your eyes cross, just say "No" to Thesis). For our Open Source Billing site, we actually decided to use one of the free themes (simple AND responsive)--just go to your themes on your dashboard, click the "install themes" tab and search. A lot have built in sliders that will work for what you want, and if not, there might be a plug-in for it.

Good luck :)

vangogh
05-24-2013, 12:12 AM
Bill I was going to suggest the same thing Harold did to just work with the default theme at first. I'd also recommend going through the documentation about theme development (http://codex.wordpress.org/Theme_Development) at WordPress.

Marcomguy
05-27-2013, 12:06 PM
TomaraOSB, thanks for the tips - including the one to stay away from Thesis!

Bill, after using the default if you want to try out a meatier theme, try Suffusion (http://wordpress.org/themes/suffusion). I used it a couple years ago and found it unbelievably good. I just looked it up and noticed it now has responsive capabilities.

rewind
06-06-2013, 06:01 AM
When I start out a few years ago, I used one of the Woo Themes, and overall I liked it. I haven't used them recently, but they're definitely worth taking a look at.

bxlnt
06-13-2013, 08:29 PM
I recommend Twitter Bootstrap for WP

Marcomguy
06-30-2013, 01:14 PM
Bxlnt, thanks - we'll probably use Bootstrap on a future project. For this one, we went with WooThemes.

Rwchampin
07-11-2013, 10:21 PM
Responsive websites are a tricky thing when your thinking about templates. As the content you put in your site night not match up with the sizing of the template. So do your research or have a pro do it.

Khalifa
07-17-2013, 03:31 PM
Check out themeforest, there are a ton of themes over there.

PayForWords
07-18-2013, 09:44 AM
Take a look at my theme in my signature. It is called "Strange" and is EXTREMELY easy to use. Highly recommended.

I also like "Genesis" a lot which is a free theme.