PDA

View Full Version : What is the difference between Linux and Windows Web Hosting?

katelyn
05-08-2013, 03:25 PM
Can anyone tell me the difference between Windows Hosting & Linux Web Hosting?

MyITGuy
05-08-2013, 03:35 PM
Can anyone tell me the difference between Windows Hosting & Linux Web Hosting?

Windows Hosting allows you to host .NET applications or utilize Access and MSSQL Databases. Unless you need one of these items, I would stick with a Linux web server.

Other than that, there isn't much of a difference other than licensing from your hosting providers perspective.

Zerocool7
05-08-2013, 03:43 PM
Most content management systems Ex: Wordpress are based on php and need to use linux hosting. Linux hosting is normally cheaper also. Windows hosting like stated above is more for .NET applications and is normally more expensive. There is a full article about this at masterslair.com/linux-vs-windows-web-hosting it goes in a little more detail.

MyITGuy
05-08-2013, 04:03 PM
Most content management systems Ex: Wordpress are based on php and need to use linux hosting.
Windows Hosting has PHP Capabilities as well and has no issues hosting WordPress (Or other Content Management Systems).

Freelancier
05-08-2013, 04:39 PM
katelyn, there has to be more to this question other than random curiosity. What's going on?

vangogh
05-08-2013, 06:11 PM
The difference is one runs on a Windows server and the other runs on a Linux server, something you no doubt know given all the promo codes for hosting companies you've posted around the web.

What's going on?

See above.

MyITGuy
05-08-2013, 08:06 PM
The difference is one runs on a Windows server and the other runs on a Linux server, something you no doubt know given all the promo codes for hosting companies you've posted around the web.

Thought it might have been something like that, especially since it came from a new person and ZeroCool was quick to respond with their link (Looks like they are both from Georgia)....damn spammers

billbenson
05-08-2013, 10:55 PM
Ya, but who knows. Somebody may have gotten some benefit from this thread. Thanks for answering it for those that may have gotten some benefit!