PDA

View Full Version : Health Insurance?

thelogo-mat
04-24-2013, 10:10 AM
My apologies if this is not the right section- but I am a sole proprietor of my logo design business, and have been for about 6 years now.
My wife and I do not have health insurance-as the monthly cost is too high? Does anyone on the forum have advice on where/how to get affordable/self-employed health insurance for a young couple, under $200 a month or so? Even if it is "catastrophic coverage" I would have some peace of mind- just not sure where to start looking and what to avoid as far as services. Thanks!

nealrm
04-24-2013, 03:35 PM
Try Golden Rule insurance. They do a good job for us.

MyITGuy
04-24-2013, 03:56 PM
Check with a local broker in your area, or some of the major online sites such as Blue Cross/Blue Shield, UHC or Aetna.

I just have myself covered (32 years old) for $175/mo, but I have a reasonably low deductible and also have vision/dental coverage. If you go with a higher deductible to cover the major items, then you could likely get you and your wife covered for somewhere around this price.

Another option is your wife, if she works at an employer that provides health coverage then you can likely be added to her plan and her employer will likely pick up some of the premium costs.

thelogo-mat
04-25-2013, 08:27 AM
Thanks guys! I've bookmarked Golden Rule for now. My wife works part-time at a bakery- so that's not really an option.
Any idea on cost and where to get "catastrophic" coverage- maybe cheaper than full-on insurance?

Freelancier
04-26-2013, 06:12 AM
Quite a few insurance companies are advertised on eHealthInsurance.com. We started there just to get an idea of who was selling in our state and then started digging deeper from there and contacting the insurance companies directly. Also, if you have a car, you have car insurance, so consider asking your car insurance broker about it, just to see if they offer anything or if they know of a company that can help you.

MyITGuy
04-26-2013, 03:54 PM
Thanks guys! I've bookmarked Golden Rule for now. My wife works part-time at a bakery- so that's not really an option.
Any idea on cost and where to get "catastrophic" coverage- maybe cheaper than full-on insurance?

Not sure I've heard of "catastrophic" coverage, except maybe Aflac who tries to sell add-ons for short/long term disability, and specific diagnosis events if not covered by your existing plans.

What you're likely interested in is a high deductible plan, the higher the deductible you assume, the cheaper the insurance plan will be.

thelogo-mat
04-29-2013, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the info guys!

broudie
04-30-2013, 08:42 AM
I just started full-time on my business as well. What does catastrophic medical insurance not cover?

Freelancier
04-30-2013, 02:11 PM
What does catastrophic medical insurance not cover?

Usually the first $X thousand (where X > 5 at least) of coverage and maybe even regular doctor office visits. But that might even change next year as more HCR laws come into play. Best to contact your local insurance brokers to see what they can offer you.