PDA

View Full Version : Ever been Happy about being ranked #128?

seolman
01-11-2009, 04:25 PM
We've been in the web design business for about 9 years (actually longer but 9 years as Ticode [pronounced tee-code]). We've been #1 for "costa rica web design" for years and several other good key phrases such as "costa rica seo" etc. Lately people have been finding our site for "web design". I figured this was a fluke of some sort because I haven't really been chasing that term but I guess there's enough juice in the "costa rica web design" to carry some weight because we're at #128 in Google for "web design" as of this morning (at least in the data center that points at Costa Rica).

Maybe I'll go ahead and place a few "web design" links out there and see how we do, maybe I'll break into the top 100? :p

orion_joel
01-11-2009, 05:22 PM
I think you will find that this ranking is very much reliant on your location. For example if i do a search for web design, i primarily get Australian companies offering web design. This is with the option set to search the web. So it is probably more benefit for your local market this ranking i would expect.

seolman
01-11-2009, 05:30 PM
That could be. Here they have google.co.cr but I always opt to use google.com and my results came from the main google home page but I'm not sure if they detect my country ip and massage my results to fit or not. The listings above me are not from Costa Rica and my competition here doesn't have near the market share we do (especially internationally) so I'm thinking our ranking could be fairly legit.

I have a data center check tool. I'll see what comes out and post back later.

orion_joel
01-11-2009, 08:07 PM
I mean being ranked at around even 128 for a term like web design on any basis i would assume is not a simple throw up a website and hope. While you may be primarily targeting costa rica web design, the on flow is probably picking up the web design in the last piece. I think you should easily be able to move this a little higher without to much work. However i may be wrong as i have never looked into it that much.

vangogh
01-12-2009, 12:10 AM
It could be a location thing. Even within the U.S. someone on the East Coast could easily see different results than a person on the west coast for the same query.

Still if you're seeing yourself ranking#128 it makes sense to try and improve that since #128 is certainly in the game.

seolman
01-12-2009, 12:44 AM
I'm definitely going to start pushing that direction. It's worth a shot. We'll see what comes of it.

I found I am showing up on about 28 of 98 google data centers I have in my checking tool ranking from 125-149. I only checked up to a ranking of 160 so I may have been showing up at a higher ranking on other data centers but I didn't bother checking anything above that number.

vangogh
01-12-2009, 01:46 AM
It's certainly worth a shot to see if you can improve the rank. It's one of those nice traffic driving phrases.