PDA

View Full Version : Google checkout volume

jimr451
04-11-2013, 09:01 AM
Hi all,

I know there was a discussion here on Google checkout vs. Paypal a while back, but I have a slightly different question.

I have a client running an ecommerce site and he wants to implement google checkout to "give customers another option". He already uses credit cards and paypal.

We are running into some technical difficulties - I'm not sure what's wrong, but I'm trying to recommend to the client how much $$ to spend trying to get this working.

My question is this - I tried to find stats on how many people use Google checkout when it's presented, and also if many sales are "lost" by not offering it as an option.

So, is anyone running Google Checkout that can comment on what they've seen? My suspicion is that not many people will bail out because a site doesn't offer GC, though some many use it if it's an option. But, I'm not sure. Strange but I can't find any recent articles on the web that address this.

-Jim

Harold Mansfield
04-11-2013, 09:39 AM
I've seen stats about shopping pages losing positioning overall, but nothing that compares the 2, so whatever I say is based on personal experience.

I've never used both, but I know that between the 2, it's a war. You may be experiencing some intentional conflicts that prevent them from working together. I've read a few support posts of people complaining that Google "overwrites" Pay Pal code because it locally caches data..making other gateways useless. That was last year. Not sure if that has changed and it may depend on what platform or CMS you are trying to integrate them on.

I'm pretty sure that on Woo Commerce ( for instance) I could install multiple payment modules and they would all work, much the same as I can set up multple shipping company options.

To date, I have never seen any proof, stats or anything that says having multiple payment processors increases sales, especially when there are so many other factors to consider that will blow the sale. Your protection comes from your card, not whether or not they use 2CO or Amazon Web Services.

If Google still requires shoppers to create a Google account to check out, that would be a deal breaker for me. Although I have multiple accounts, I don't want to log in just to buy something from a non Google website. I don't always want Google tracking me, nor do I want to use my Google account to buy things that cost much more than an Android App.

That being said, the client wants what they want. It's their site and if it's important to them to have 2 registers then so be it.