PDA

View Full Version : How to Go About Protecting Your IP (Patents?)

broudie
04-09-2013, 02:11 AM
I'm coming up with a product that I would like to protect. I am afraid that it can easily be copied by a Chinese manufacturer or something. How do I go about protecting this product?

semaphore.v
04-09-2013, 08:50 AM
You should simply patent you product no other option. Chinese manufacturer sale product in very less price that we cannot sale..

nealrm
04-09-2013, 09:10 AM
First patent the product. That will give you protection in the countries that respect copyright laws. Then start lobbying your congressman to do something about the Chinese violating copyrights.

Harold Mansfield
04-09-2013, 10:07 AM
I'm coming up with a product that I would like to protect. I am afraid that it can easily be copied by a Chinese manufacturer or something. How do I go about protecting this product?

You can't do anything about the Chinese. They don't care about other people's property rights, don't respect international law, and they will steal, reproduce, hack, rape and pillage whatever they want and have no respect for anyone else on the planet. Nothing is safe.

They are the Ferengi of this world.

billbenson
04-09-2013, 12:21 PM
You can't do anything about the Chinese. They don't care about other people's property rights, don't respect international law, and they will steal, reproduce, hack, rape and pillage whatever they want and have no respect for anyone else on the planet. Nothing is safe.

They are the Ferengi of this world.

The Chinese have the largest mineral production facilities in the world. They not only have the minerals, but they have the purification systems for them. From what I have read, if they stopped producing these minerals or selling them, they would pretty much disable semiconductor production around the world for years.

We have the minerals. We don't have the refinement facilities. To build the infrustructure for this would take billions and years.

China is kind of like your crazy uncle who drives 100 mph on the freeway with your kids but also helps them in other ways like you can't,

Harold Mansfield
04-09-2013, 12:25 PM
The Chinese have the largest mineral production facilities in the world. They not only have the minerals, but they have the purification systems for them. From what I have read, if they stopped producing these minerals or selling them, they would pretty much disable semiconductor production around the world for years.

We have the minerals. We don't have the refinement facilities. To build the infrustructure for this would take billions and years.

But that doesn't mean that we should just accept the patent, trademark and copyright infringements and the constant hacking of computer systems and stealing proprietary information to recreate and sell for their own profit.

I'll give them the mineral stuff, but what does that have to do with bootleg DVD's and electronics?

billbenson
04-09-2013, 02:10 PM
But that doesn't mean that we should just accept the patent, trademark and copyright infringements and the constant hacking of computer systems and stealing proprietary information to recreate and sell for their own profit.

I'll give them the mineral stuff, but what does that have to do with bootleg DVD's and electronics?

They are treading a fine line. They also rely on international trade for their economy. But the last country we want on our **** list is China. They would dwarf the problems we have in the other countries.

I guess were are getting a little political on this conversation, but lets see how it goes :)

broudie
04-10-2013, 12:20 PM
People, this is about what you can do to protect IP, not a rant thread about the chinese.

KristineS
04-10-2013, 12:28 PM
Go to the U.S. Patent and Trademark (http://www.uspto.gov/)website and see what it would cost to get a patent and how you start the process.

Harold Mansfield
04-11-2013, 05:05 PM
People, this is about what you can do to protect IP, not a rant thread about the chinese.

You asked specifically about Chinese manufacturers copying an idea.

Letting you know that there is no protection against that is an important reality to know.

Dan Furman
04-12-2013, 04:44 PM

You asked about the Chinese.

There is no protection. Go get a patent to protect yourself from those who respect the law.

The rest (like China)? You can't worry about them.