PDA

View Full Version : LegalZoom vs. local lawyer?

tallen
04-03-2013, 12:53 PM
I would like to incorporate a new business (in Maine) and need a local agent or clerk as well as the filing of the articles of incorporation. Does anyone have any comments on the relative merits of using an internet service like LegalZoom versus a local lawyer?

MyITGuy
04-03-2013, 01:09 PM
I would like to incorporate a new business (in Maine) and need a local agent or clerk as well as the filing of the articles of incorporation. Does anyone have any comments on the relative merits of using an internet service like LegalZoom versus a local lawyer?

I used LegalZoom myself when I first started out (but I did plenty of research before hand).
When I ended up renaming my company (I decided to dissolve the first and start over) - I ended up just doing it myself.

On that note - I would recommend going the route of an accountant (or attorney) to ensure you have a good understanding of the corporate structure you choose to ensure your personal assets are protected and that you can minimize your tax liability.

Ted
04-03-2013, 01:23 PM

I formed companies using both. I have used LegalZoom and used a local lawyer.

In my personal opinion, go with a local lawyer.

My experience with LegalZoom was horrible.

A local lawyer will cost you more up front, but less down the road.

When I used LegalZoom they charged me a monthly fee that was in the fine print somewhere that I had no recollection of agreeing to when I initially paid for their services.

When I called LZ to ask about getting rid of the monthly fee, they told me I had to file a special piece of paper with New York State in order to make that monthly fee stop.

Filing that piece of paper with New York State was a royal pain in the ass. Of course it is a legal document that needs to be filed and the State charges a fee to file it. The first time I tried filing it, it got sent back to me along with my payment.

I basically had to hire a local lawyer to fix the B.S. caused by using LegalZoom. So I would never again use LegalZoom nor recommend them to anyone. Really bad service in my opinion.

I have used two different local lawyers to form companies before - LLC's. Both times the local lawyers completed the task perfectly at a very reasonable price.

The other advantage to using a local lawyer is that you then have an established relationship with one. So, if the situation arises where you need legal advice, you already know who to call.

Business Attorney
04-05-2013, 12:40 AM
I'm biased, of course, but I think in most cases your choice should be between doing it yourself and hiring a local lawyer. If you don't know enough to do it yourself, you don't know enough to use LegalZoom.

I think most people's concerns about the cost of hiring a lawyer for a simple matter like an incorporation or formation of an LLC are misplaced. I suspect that in most places, the cost difference is minimal and you are getting legal advice rather than simply a form-filling service. Of course, you should ask about the fees up front so that there are no surprises. If one lawyer quotes a fee that seems too high, don't hesitate to look elsewhere.

ESPY
04-08-2013, 04:07 PM
Made an account to say that I've used both services to form 2 different LLCs. They are both about the same although I did find Rocket Lawyer's a bit cheaper and I liked their user interface a lot more. You can use their incorporation calculator (http://www.rocketlawyer.com/center/incorporation.rl)to see how much it costs you.

If I have to form another LLC, I'd probably go to Rocket Lawyer again. I like that they actually have real lawyers who can look over your documents and forms.

AlexMc
04-09-2013, 04:06 PM
Instead of LegalZoom, I’d suggest using Rocket Lawyer (http://www.rocketlawyer.com/legal-documents-forms.rl). They offer the necessary information about that particular form and why you’d need it, and then step by step info for how to create the document. Along with offering legal forms online, the service can connect you with a lawyer for a fixed rate. I definitely think talking with a lawyer is always the right decision. It’s easy to want to DIY, but with legal matters it’s important to get assistance from a lawyer.